Best bear cartridge

Do yo find them pretty plentiful in the spring ? Hunting the mountains or rivers ?

Game bags, 8
They're supposedly pretty thick in the spot we're going. more blacks than brownies, but both are there. We'll be hunting both actually, a river in the mountains. haha.

I've never been in this spot, but wanted to check out some new country. We see lots of bears in the spring, just depends on where of course. I think my record was 24 black bears in a weekend. On our first flyout trip together way back when, we saw as many brownies in a 12 day trip. They were thicker than I prefer.

Reality is, it will have to be a nice bear before we shoot it. We're mostly looking for moose antlers.

I don't care what you use. Please take lots of pics and share them later, if it's somewhere in Alaska you haven't been yet but want to go, I'm betting it's picturesque.

After building a normal .338-06, I’ve developed quite a liking for it. Of your list, I’d be between your .338-06AI and the .325 WSM. Two cool options!

Well years ago we shot a grizz with a .264 Mag. That was fight we shouldn’t have started. Glad that’s not on the list. A number fell to the .30/06 and a few to the .375. A long time guide I know on the Peninsula swears by the .35 W. IF or when I fully expect to tangle with the big bears I sure like my 338 or 375. I know you’re Skookum but if the 35 hasn’t made a bear rug I think I would choose that one. I’m not heading out to the Peninsula until after bears this spring but I’m hearing they are about and active. Good luck.

I think the .325 is an interesting round. I don't know why it never really caught on.

The wife and I are headed out next week to rescue some antlers and shoot some antler eaters both brown and/or black. Can't decide what rifle to pack. Shots could be upclose to maybe 300 yards. I have the spectrum covered, can't decide on light or heavy. Shot my last brownie with the 308. Have plenty of powder and bullets for everything in between.

280(gasp)
7mag
300wsm
300wm
325wsm
338-06AI
35 B/w
375H&H

The wife is on point, and can handle any of the above. Leaning on the 375, light and handy, and kills chit dead out as far as a guy/gal wants shoot.

What would you pack? None are heavy and all are "Alaska" rated non-melting.

Also if you're worried we can only shoot 8 bears combined 2 bb and 6 blacks. How many game bags do we pack?
.375 H&H is my favorite! It’s a Hammer and the bears are nails!!!

I like the 325 WSM, especially since no 6.5 CM :rolleyes:
Be sure to share - I always look forward to your antler pics. Living the dream.

Our plans were cut short a couple days, but we managed to squeeze in a couple days. We saw 7 bears in 2 days, one grizz rest blacks. The brush was brutal , you were either swimming or you weren't. We made an attempt on one bear, but after wading through a mile of brush for nearly 2 hours, we couldn't find the open ridgeline to ascend the hill. If we were off by 50 yards we would be swimming all the way to the top. Only way to kill those bears would be to spend a day climbing above the brush and camp out. We weren't that interested in spending that kind of time for a bear.

20210524_105223.jpg
20210524_132517.jpg
20210524_083029.jpg

20210523_224048.jpg

@Bambistew Fantastic! Thanks for sharing. I had a similar experience last weekend but alot less bears. I was in a new area and what I didn't know was that the trail I branched off of came up on the backside of the same ridge I was on. Saw multiple hikers, 1 bear and some sign. Not going back there. HAHA.
Great looking outting!

Good report, I hear it’s been tough weather on the peninsula with mixed results. I head out to King Salmon on Sunday, looking forward to getting the field reports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back