best backpacking pack around $350 mule deer and elk with a meat shelf

Jacobcabrera92

looking to see what everyone recommended for packs like the mystery ranch wanting to stay around 350

Last edited:
The title doesn't really match up with the "stay under $350".

You might be able to find an EVO used for that price. Sometimes Camofire.com has Mystery Ranch packs on sale for a good discount I think I've seen some around $350.

I don't think you are going to find a Stone Glacier for $350 even on the used market.

Can’t recommend a “best” pack in the $350 range, I prefer stone glacier but that’s double to triple your budget depending on size.

Good luck with it mate,

I priced a SG 40/56 other day, with currency conversion, shipping and taxes it was $1,200. No thanks.

Mystery Ranch Pop-up 38 was on Camofire last month at $245. Easily big enough for day trips, and I think Big Fin has been using it with his llama hunts.

I’ve got a Cabela’s multi-day pack that was around $200 that I really like. It has a meat shelf and ample storage for what I do. It’s been great for packing stuff in, but haven’t had to pack meat out with it yet. We were lucky last year to put animals down close to the truck and it was 1/4 mile downhill drag in 6” of fresh snow, so that was easier than trying to pack them out. Seems to be a good setup for meat packout though when I need that. For the price compared to the high end name brands, I thought I’d give it a try.

Here’s a pic. It’s expandable 40-65 liters. Not sure if posting a link is kosher so just search Cabelas Multi-day pack.

1595303538258.png

I have this pack and absolutely love it.
View attachment 147497
I have the Alps. It works, but taking the bag off before meat hauling kind of bugs me. I'm gonna sit down here one of these days and figure out how do both at once.

Bought my wife's Pintler for right around $300 used as new.

Works great. I use a Cabela's pack frame. It doesn't kill me.

I got a brand new MR metcalf off blackovis last year for $350 during one of their sales. I thought it was a good deal since I see used ones going for more than that.

A used/discounted Mystery Ranch is going to outperform anything you are going to find new in that price range by a stretch.... I have heard people say good things about the Alpz, I have owned an Eberlestock, but IMO they just aren't in the same league as the MR.

If you are on Expertvoice, the Mystery Ranch discount will put several packs in your price range. If not, as mentioned above, Camofire often has good deals on MR packs and the occasional pack will pop up here. Check ebay too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back