Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Best backcountry bone saw

I’ve used one of these little 5oz $20 goobers from Gerber in the past.

View attachment 287077

Comes in handy for trimming the handle off your toothbrush in the backcountry when your pack weight gets overbearingly heavy. I don’t recommend using it to wipe with though.
I've used a folding Gerber saw for years. Came with 2 different blades fine tooth that I use for bone and the other I use for branches. Has worked great for me, has it's own little carrying case, weighs next to nothing and is there when I need it.

I pack either a 14" Stanley handsaw or 10-12 folding pruning saw. I've found that a wood cross cut blade cuts faster, and won't plug up as bad.

I'm not a fan of Wyoming saws. They are heavy and don't work as well as a straight blade without a bow. I have two of them and original which is 2" longer than the current production, and the WY 2 "double length" one, and never use them. I don't need a saw often but when I do I don't like the limitation of the bow depth, or set stroke length. A 14" WY bow sawing across a 12" moose skull suckasssssss. Some areas we have to take the ribs out on the bone here so need a saw, a little folding one works fine. Also packing a moose skull isn't high on my list, so a saw goes moose hunting. Otherwise the saw is mostly for cutting firewood around camp.

Here is a demo where the ribs are hanging:

Thanks. I've been processing critters since 8 years old. Never seen it done like that. If I get lucky in November I'll have to try it.

See bambis post above, these saws are cheap, work better than anything, lay flat against the back of you pack and light weight. Cut horns off in a few minutes.

Cutting the horns off is the only use for a saw as far as butchering goes. All else can be done with a knife.

You guys are suckers and not true Mountain men. I don’t carry any blades, I just find rocks and fashion them into tools after I make a kill.

Instead of hunttalk this place should be called, continuingthehubtingindystrialcomplextalk.

Here is a demo where the ribs are hanging:

I measured a record book P&Y Tule elk for the fella in the cowboy hat last year.

Here is a good 'un with a gutless quarter...You will have to yard out the guts to make it work...

Last edited:
^^^^^
Ooooooh @2rocky that is a great demo on how to do that. I appreciate that the camera gets right in to the action, unlike the two that I linked.

Silky has worked fine for me - but I'm typically only removing a couple of ribs to get the heart and liver.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back