Yeti GOBOX Collection

Best backcountry bone saw

I’ve used one of these little 5oz $20 goobers from Gerber in the past.

1691381326431.png

Comes in handy for trimming the handle off your toothbrush in the backcountry when your pack weight gets overbearingly heavy. I don’t recommend using it to wipe with though.

The Gerber pack saw is my favorite. The T handle works great for putting a lot of pressure on to cut quickly and the tip won’t puncture the guts (or you leg). That said I usually don’t pack a saw.

I've never cut wood in the backcountry and I debone everything before I pack it out. You can easily break an animal down with using a knife with a little practice. The only time I use a saw is when I'm skull capping an animal in the field to save weight on the packout. I did some research recently and I found that guys use cable saws with good success in the backcountry. They weigh almost nothing and are very effective. I bought 2 Coghlan's Sportsmans Pocket Saws. They're $5 a piece and I think they're going to work great. I plan on keeping them in kill kit.

The only time I use a saw is when I'm skull capping an animal in the field to save weight on the packout.

This is why I carry a Gerber one with me in my kill kit. They make quick work of it as long as you clean all of the hair and soft tissue off of the area first.

I've never cut wood in the backcountry and I debone everything before I pack it out. You can easily break an animal down with using a knife with a little practice. The only time I use a saw is when I'm skull capping an animal in the field to save weight on the packout. I did some research recently and I found that guys use cable saws with good success in the backcountry. They weigh almost nothing and are very effective. I bought 2 Coghlan's Sportsmans Pocket Saws. They're $5 a piece and I think they're going to work great. I plan on keeping them in kill kit.
Cable saw is definitely an interesting idea... not sure if you could use it to take the ribs off or not? What do you think.

If going cable saw route, bring multiple.

I’ve used them on animals before (did not work well for me), and seen them used on humans dozens of times- they tend to bind and break.

I'm a pocket Gerber guy and works great for what I need. Need a few branches trimmed at camp for tent clearance? Easy. Bull die in a nasty thick spot and you need some extra room to work? No problem. Need to skull cap that buck so you don't have to pack the whole head? Got it.

I've used the Coghlans pockets saws for about 20 years. They are great. Except after one season of use on animals they may rust if not cleaned and dried out. I found that out the hard way--it snapped in half the next season I went to use it on a deer. But I had a backup. Always have a backup

I am all for weight savings, don't get me wrong but i'm starting to be convinced that the folks cutting half the tooth brush handle and skimping on TP are the same ones who are carrying the lower leg/hooves out of the woods.

As for the topic, I have used a few to include a Gerber and Kershaw.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back