Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Best Antelope/Mule Deer Caliber?

The only reason My magnum's recoil didn't bother me in the field was I shoot them a lot off a bench and got used to having the crud beat out of me. I don't buy the, you'll never feel it in the field idea. Problem you don't get use to it off the bench and your gonna know what's coming in the field! You'll feel it.

This has been an interesting thread. While the title is, "Best Antelope/Mule Deer Caliber (my emphsis)", most, if not all, of the responses have suggested a cartridge that they like the best for taking pronghorn and mule deer.

ClearCreek

Don, I’m responding for my wife here. She doesn’t shoot much from the bench, her rifle kicks a bit, and she also sees it as “boring”! She can shoot pretty good from the bench, but is pretty darn “lethal” in the field. I’ve heard her on many occasions, when someone commented about her hunting rifle say, “When I’m shooting at game, I don’t notice the recoil”! So, I guess it’s an individual thing! memtb

This has been an interesting thread. While the title is, "Best Antelope/Mule Deer Caliber (my emphsis)", most, if not all, of the responses have suggested a cartridge that they like the best for taking pronghorn and mule deer.

ClearCreek
Many folks use the terms cartridge and caliber interchangeably, so often, to be helpful, I try to answer the question I think the OP was asking rather than being overly particular and missing their goal.

Don, I’m responding for my wife here. She doesn’t shoot much from the bench, her rifle kicks a bit, and she also sees it as “boring”! She can shoot pretty good from the bench, but is pretty darn “lethal” in the field. I’ve heard her on many occasions, when someone commented about her hunting rifle say, “When I’m shooting at game, I don’t notice the recoil”! So, I guess it’s an individual thing! memtb

I would generally agree that the focus on the hunt can minimize the conscious awareness of recoil as reported by the hunter, but an important question is whether past recoil experiences, at the bench or otherwise, have cause unconscious flinches e.g., pulling away from a shot, closing of eyes, slapping the trigger, rolling a wrist over to brace, etc. Even in trained shooters, extra recoil reduces accuracy for most - doesn’t mean they can’t hit a target or kill game and be a real accomplished shooter, but the effect has been shown in several military studies. So, shoot what you want/like - for me I will always recommend lower recoil options to average hunters. If a .243, 25/06, 7mm08 all kill an antelope completely dead, why bother with a Mag? I give no manly points for cartridge selection (except for mtmuley and his RUM) - I reserve that for accomplished hunters/outdoorsman - of which there are many on HT.

Last edited:
VikingsGuy, Agreed! It certainly comes down to the shooter’s experience....good or bad! Some folks merely handle recoil better/differently than others.

Also.....Congratulations on Sunday’s Win! memtb

VikingsGuy, Agreed! It certainly comes down to the shooter’s experience....good or bad! Some folks merely handle recoil better/differently than others.

Also.....Congratulations on Sunday’s Win! memtb
Embarrassingly close. On the bright side, past Vikings teams would have lost that game, so maybe we are trending up.

I'd look at the likes of 6.5 creedmoor simply owing to the massive availability of a thousand different projectile weight/load combos in factory ammo and its flat trajectory/terminal ballistics out to 800 yards. One look at the cheapest rifles chambered in this caliber and you will be bug-eyed - T/C compasses holding inside 1/2 min all day long and some are now getting better than that hand loading. Just my .02, do your homework- maybe watch some of Johnny's reloading bench 6.5 creedmoor videos on youtube where he works with his compass and various factory loads...shockingly good results.

It would be hard to go wrong with the plain old .270 Win. It's been killing game for almost 100 years and it will be doing so for a very long time to come. The recoil is very mild, making for almost pleasant practice sessions and ammo is available everywhere for very little $$. It's a great caliber for antelope, deer and even elk.
The .300 mag on the other hand is not so pleasant to shoot but it will kill everything you may want to hunt.

Come to the dark side get the man bun. I love mine. All I have killed so far are WV deer but no doubt it will do the same out west. I am heading out Mon for WV deer season trying out the 130 AB. Never used premium bullet before. Can wait

The best one is the one you want. Ether one will do all you want. They will only kill them so dead. And that's all the deader they will get.

I'm looking to purchase a new rifle for antelope and mule deer hunting, I own a .300 Win Mag so I won't need it for larger game. I have gone round and round looking at 6.5 Creedmoor, .264 Win Mag, 7mm-08, among others. At this point I'm thinking either the 6.5 or the standard .270 Winchester. Just looking for an accurate, flat shooting rifle for medium sized game. Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!

What is your realistic maximum hunting distance for lopes and muley's?
You mentioned you liked the 25-06, but was concerned about ammo availability...See the link. Lot of options.
Still, do you want a short action or a long action cartridge?
If you want long the 25-06 is one of several good choices. Low recoil and good ballistics.

Hard to beat a .270, its been doing everything under the sun and doing it great since about 1925 (came out in 23) a quick read through any old hunting magazine and you will see many a individual like Townsend Whelen and Jack O'Conner and many others over the years. Its easy to find bullets for it about anywhere. Its easy to load up and down for if you want to expand on what your hunting and if not reload yourself you can find about anything your looking for already on a shelf somewhere.
You will find that it will do just about everything you will ask of it at acceptable ranges and then some. Few calibers last through the years unless they simply work. The .270 is one that has stood the test of time.

Federal Premium ammo says the 110 AB has a MV of 3100 fps. I know it is different with every rifle, but it is a start point.
With a 100 yard zero, it is only 3 MOA at 300, 5.25 MOA at 400, and 8 MOA at 500 yards and 3.5 MOA/18" (at 500 yards) for a 10 mph full value/crosswind from 3 or 9 O'clock.
Minimum impact velocity for the AB is 1800 fps, which would theoretically take you out to just under 700 yards.
I don't think you are a long-range hunter, simply based on the question, so I am not suggesting you shoot that far.
If you did 2.1" inches at 100, which will give you a 250 yard zero, you would be 3" low at 300 yards and 7.7" low at 350 yards, and 13.8" low at 400 yards.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back