PEAX Equipment

Best Antelope/Mule Deer Caliber?

hunter14

I'm looking to purchase a new rifle for antelope and mule deer hunting, I own a .300 Win Mag so I won't need it for larger game. I have gone round and round looking at 6.5 Creedmoor, .264 Win Mag, 7mm-08, among others. At this point I'm thinking either the 6.5 or the standard .270 Winchester. Just looking for an accurate, flat shooting rifle for medium sized game. Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!

Some years ago, looking for an antelope and mule deer rifle, I settled on the 25-06 Rem. It's an old cartridge, but it gets with the program and gets the job done with very little recoil, great accuracy, and serious lethality.

Are you a handloader? That makes a difference, because I've found that it takes handloading to bring the best out of this cartridge.

100 grain bullets at 3340 fps via H4350. Used that for three mule deer, then moved on to the 115. It worked fine though.

115 gr bullets at 3150 - 3190 via Retumbo. Farthest mule deer with that was right at 400 yards, holding on the top of the back. Coyotes out past that, no problem.

Most of my antelope &mule deer hunting has been done with 115 gr bullets, either the Berger VLD or the Nosler Ballistic Tip. Both are good.

The 270 is very similar, and if you prefer it, go right ahead. Not much difference. Mild recoil. Great accuracy. Flat trajectory, and things fall over very quickly.

Regards, Guy

2018 mule deer, about 355 yards, one shot with the 115 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip, loaded to about 3150 fps:
udxbhYdh.jpg

Ten years earlier, same rifle, same 6x Leupold scope, 115 gr Berger VLD at about 3190 fps:
KaCBvzqh.jpg

Pronghorn:
lsF7l3fh.jpg

And a lot more critters over the years. Sweet cartridge. The 270 is very similar, I'd feel just as good about it. I never hold off the animal, maybe right at the top of the back. Never more. Lots of tags filled. No prob with recoil. :)

Regards, Guy

Thanks Guy, unfortunately I do not reload (currently) which is one of the reasons I am leaning towards the .270, plenty of factory ammo options available. Not being a handloader is the primary reason I looked past the 25-06, otherwise this would be a definite contender.
Thanks again

Reactions: Guy
You already own an awesome mulie gun in 300 mag. If I ever hunted antelope in rifle season I would take my 300 mag In a heart beat. With hand loaded 165’s it’s like a laser

Obviously your 300 WM can do the job for you, but at the same time if you're looking to add another rifle then either of the choices you've settled on work great. My personal preference would be the 6.5 Creedmoor, lots of good factory ammo & rifle choices out there and a very enjoyable caliber to shoot.

257 Roberts +P, 260 rem, 6.5x55 Swede, 25-06 all are interesting choices IMO. I hate to say it but your parameters are ideal for the 6.5 Creedmoor. 270 is great if you have one, more than necessary. 7mm bullets are larger than needed for your stated quarries.

Lots of great calibers out there that will certainly get the job done.
Factory ammo only.
That shortens the list.
I am currently looking to build or buy a 6.5 PRC and feel it is going to be a great all around cartridge that has affordable ammo. The .270 is easier to find ammo for right now, as it's certainly been around a few blocks.
The Creedmor is another great choice and also has ammo in most places on the shelf.
But overall I still vote for the PRC . It is much faster and more powerful than the 6.5 Creedmor, but still uses the same high BC bullets. It also has less recoil than the .270 but delivers more down range energy, and can be had in a light short action.
But all of these a many more like the 7mm-08, and the .308 are good cartridges.

I picked up a new rifle in 6.5 PRC this year and really like it. Took it to WY for antelope and used it to great success. I have no doubt it would’ve done the same on mule deer. Fantastic BC, low recoil and MV averages 2983 in mine with Hornady PH 143s. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one and might have to if my wife keeps talking about how much she likes it as well after tagging her first antelope. We filled 3 tags at 325, 250 and 200 yards if that helps you.

25-06 even with factory ammo has been an awesome antelope and deer setup. Recently made the switch to 100 gr Barnes ttsx from the 120 fusions. Can’t complain with either factory choice since most everything has only made it a couple steps after being hit.

While not having been fortunate enough to hunt out west, yet, i wouldn't hesitate to bring along some of my favorite white tail cartridges from back east.
7mm-08, 260 Rem, 270 Win, 280 Rem, 308, 30-06, 25-06, and 257 Roberts would all get the job done.

More important is finding a rifle that fits you properly.

I'll put another vote in for the .25-06. Lots of good factory ammo available and a decent number of rifle manufacturers still make a rifle for it. That said, I think a .270 is a great complement to a .300 win mag. Out of the calibers you listed, .270 is the winner!

It is real hard not to recommend the 6.5 Creed. I have two of them and two .260s. There is very little difference, except that the Creed handles long bullets better and it has A LOT more factory ammo options. I have shot quite a few deer and some antelope with these rifles and they flat get the job done. If you want a .270, it is also good, BUT you are dealing with more recoil and a long-action rifle. I have several long-actions-including a .270 and they all work well, but I am leaning away from long-action rifles. I like the short, efficient cartridges.

The Creed is very accurate, light on the muzzle blast and recoil and has lots of factory fodder available. I shoot a lot of deer on depredation permits and my 6.5 rifles have become my go-to for this task.

There is no "best."
Buy the one you want, and it will work just fine if you do your job.
Decide if you want a short action or a long action cartridge...

There is no best cartridge for anything. There are a lot of more than adequate cartridge's for everything. Not handloading is not a good reason to avoid the 25-06. There probably is a factory load that works well. Let's face it, you can only fire one bullet at a time.

In the late '70s I had a local gunsmith re-chamber a Mauser Mark X in .25-06 to .257 Ackley...mainly because I liked the looks of the case. They are ballistically pretty close. With 115-120 grain bullets, this has been my favorite deer and pronghorn rifle ever since. I've also taken several sheep, a Mountain Caribou, and one of my best 6x6 bull elk with it.
gj6l1QKl.jpg

Back