Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Best Antelope/Mule Deer Caliber?

Why not just pick the 25-06 on steroids? 257 Weatherby. Yes, if you don't reload then ammo is expensive but a box of shells will last me several years. I would think it would be hard to beat a 257 for mule deer and antelope.

I'm looking to purchase a new rifle for antelope and mule deer hunting, I own a .300 Win Mag so I won't need it for larger game. I have gone round and round looking at 6.5 Creedmoor, .264 Win Mag, 7mm-08, among others. At this point I'm thinking either the 6.5 or the standard .270 Winchester. Just looking for an accurate, flat shooting rifle for medium sized game. Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!
I would go with the 6.5 PRC, or the .270 WSM.

Guy I hear ya on that. I have numerous mags ( all pre 64 model 70's) and my old classic stainless Model 70 in .270, that I bought new in 1998, always goes with me. Elk, mulie, antelope, whitetail, groundhog, and god knows what else have fallen to that rifle. Just had it out yesterday with my daughters while we shot their .243 getting ready for whitetails in Missouri and it still puts em right where I want them with boring regularity...
.270 or 30.06, will always be great for those animals, and just about anything. However, ballistically speaking, there are new calibers that take it to the next level. .270 WSM, is one of those improved calibers.

When you say “best” what do you mean? Recoil, ammo avail, wind, knockdown...... many parameters.

Hunter14, I actually own the combo of rifles/calibers you are considering. I have a Remington 700 in .300 Win Mag and an older Browning A-Bolt in .270. Both have taken lots of deer, caribou, and elk. Over time I have been taking the .300 on western trips for elk/antelope combo hunts. The lighter .270 has become my woods/stalking rifle. Easy in normal times to find ammo for each of them. The .300 is ported and actually has less recoil than the .270.

This has been an interesting read. I am looking to grab a pronghorn rifle, out to 300 to 400 yards MAX. I want a bi-pod on it but do t want that on my elk rifle so want a second one

Been considering .243 or .25-06 maybe tika or Howa.

New rifle = grab a 6.5 PRC and go kill stuff.
Used rifle = options. Any 6mm, 6.5mm, or 270 variant is gonna do nicely with proper bullet selection.

I have a 6.5Creedmore, 270 Win and 300 WSM they all drop game quickly 6.5 and 270 normally have tons of factory ammo available. i tend to reach for my 6.5C on most whitetail hunts, used it to kill 3 this past season all dropped very fast..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back