Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Best Antelope/Mule Deer Caliber?

Ha, that's the problem with a good 270, or something similar...

After some success with it, the magnum rifles might just gather dust in the safe... :)

Guy I hear ya on that. I have numerous mags ( all pre 64 model 70's) and my old classic stainless Model 70 in .270, that I bought new in 1998, always goes with me. Elk, mulie, antelope, whitetail, groundhog, and god knows what else have fallen to that rifle. Just had it out yesterday with my daughters while we shot their .243 getting ready for whitetails in Missouri and it still puts em right where I want them with boring regularity...

I'm looking to purchase a new rifle for antelope and mule deer hunting, I own a .300 Win Mag so I won't need it for larger game. I have gone round and round looking at 6.5 Creedmoor, .264 Win Mag, 7mm-08, among others. At this point I'm thinking either the 6.5 or the standard .270 Winchester. Just looking for an accurate, flat shooting rifle for medium sized game. Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!

If you just gotta have a new rifle....there are many cartridges, that will work well. However, you already have a great Pronghorn cartridge! memtb

I am of the mind (and practice) that a good, versatile weapon that you are familiar with and shoot well is the weapon you need. For me that means that my Savage 110 in '06 is what I take for all big game hunts. I have shot everything from yotes to elk with it ALL with the 180grs I zero it with. I know how that weapon shoots intimately, I know what the rounds are going to do and I had GREAT results with performance/lack tracking necessity. I have always been accused of being a bit of a tight wad/cheep but I think having the relationship with one weapon is something to be embraced. Now if you just want a new gun....as said above, there are MANY rounds that will fit the bill. I just wouldn't worry about a 300WM being "too much" for goats :)

As an addendum to my previous post: My wife and I are “one gun” hunters, blasphemy I know.....but her antelope cartridge is larger than a .300 WM. And, it seems capable of cleanly taking antelope! ;) memtb

As an addendum to my previous post: My wife and I are “one gun” hunters, blasphemy I know.....but her antelope cartridge is larger than a .300 WM. And, it seems capable of cleanly taking antelope! ;) memtb
Nothing wrong with the "one gun hunter". I am a "one bullet" per rifle hunter who likes playing around with different guns, but once I find the bullet/weight/charge that shoots under 0.8MOA I have no interest in trying a different bullet type or weight. To each their own.

I like my 243 for deer and smaller game. Very versatile as you can buy exploding varmint rounds up to monos for big game. I also have a 300 win that is my deer and larger gun, but I find myself carrying it far more these days than the 243. With good copper bullets even shooting deer with the 300 win doesn't make a mess out of them and very little bloodshot.

I’m a one gun one bullet guy. Guns are great, but I’d rather spend money hunting.

You’ve pretty much described us....one gun, one bullet, one zero! It’s worked for almost 30 years for us! memtb

I have a 300 WM that is my do everything hunting rifle, but I would love to own another lighter (weight and recoil) rifle for putting in some range time between seasons. Quality win-mag ammo gets spendy quick for plinking!I'd probably go with 6.5 PRC or creedmore just for shootability and factory ammo availability. Seems you cant go wrong though, so go with whatever you find a deal on or catches your eye first!

Nothing wrong with the "one gun hunter". I am a "one bullet" per rifle hunter who likes playing around with different guns, but once I find the bullet/weight/charge that shoots under 0.8MOA I have no interest in trying a different bullet type or weight. To each their own.
I’m a one gun one bullet guy. Guns are great, but I’d rather spend money hunting.
You’ve pretty much described us....one gun, one bullet, one zero! It’s worked for almost 30 years for us! memtb
I'll echo this also. It took a lot of trial-and-error experimentation but I settled on a nice light rifle and a load that was both accurate and consistent from that gun and haven't looked back since.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back