Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Best all arround power binoculars

Rooster52

Looking at buying new binoculars in the $300 price range. What do you say is the best all around power? 8X42? 8X36? 10X42? ???

The rule of thumb I always heard is the objective lense divided by the power should be 5 or higher. That means 8x40 and 10x50. This is to reduce eye strain. That being said, I am sure higher quality glass with a smaller objective will accomplish this also. I'm in your price range and prefer my leupold cascades in 8x40. I have used them in many situations and always find them to be adequate.

Hands down 10x42's for me.

You will appreciate the power when glassing across basins and open country, and if you still hunt bush country then just slow down your speed of panning and they will be fine for closer stuff.

Agreed, the 10x42 are a very good choice. it is a versatile and reliable pair for both western long range glassing and closer glassing in the mid west and eastern woods. I have had my Nikon Monarchs in a 12x42 for about ten years and just cant part with them. Vortex is making some very good bino's now and they will be my next choice if I were to part with my current pair. Vortex makes them from 10x42 up to 15x56 all for $300 and under. for the value and good brand name I would go with the Vortex at 10x50.

What do you think of the Leupold Penacles ? They are a discontinued series and I can buy a pair for a good price ?

10x42 would be considered best all around for most situations.
But it also depends on where and what kind of country you hunt. IMHO
For years I used 8x30's for the thick close in country for blacktails,still use them for same and stalking.
Started hunting high country and wide open spaces of the west and knew I needed to be able to see farther,clearly.
Got some 10x50's.
On a rest or a tripod it's the best. I can only use a spotter so long and I usually only use it for detail ,long distance verifying.
I have been using 10x50 Alpens for close to 20 yrs and the only thing I would change is to a 10x50 or 10x42 of one of the big 3.
If I could find one used,more better. If I get the dough I might.
You should be able to find Alpens cheap compaired to many,but would have to look harder for same quality near the price,IMHO.
There is a reason they won best glass for the money rating for many years and still do.
They are just more low key.
I switched from a lower end Leupold model of binos and spotter to the Alpens as I liked the eye relief and durable rubberized finish of the Alpens over the Leupolds. Again some years back.

Last edited:
The rule of thumb I always heard is the objective lense divided by the power should be 5 or higher. That means 8x40 and 10x50. This is to reduce eye strain. That being said, I am sure higher quality glass with a smaller objective will accomplish this also. I'm in your price range and prefer my leupold cascades in 8x40. I have used them in many situations and always find them to be adequate.
That ratio has more to due with exit pupil size (ie the amount of light that can get to your eye) than with eye strain. Most healthy humans pupils can't dialate past 7mm and this decreases as we age. If the bino's exit pupil is larger than your pupil that extra "light gathering" is wasted.

I'm a fan of 8Xs bino's for general use as it reduces the shakes for me. However, if pretty open country, can really like 10s as well. That said, increased clarrity and contrast from higher quality lenses/coatings can make up for some in magnification. I'd rather a high quality lower X bino than a lower quality high X bino...

Give me 6x-8x for general use, but as noted glass quality matters more for a general binoc.

10x42 on solid rest or 8x42 for more offhand, though you will always find more game with a solid rest.

PS If you buy $300 bino's and are a serious "big country" hunter, you will eventually spend more and have wasted $300, unless you will be like me and have kid's to give them away or loan them to.

idaho21737.jpg
I have had a pair of Nikon atb monarchs 10x40 for over 20 years that have served me well. They have seen a lot of miles and abuse and are still great. I think they are 10x42's now but if the current models are as good as these have been for me you will be happy. I think you should be able to find them in that price point you are trying to hit.

Last edited:
8x42 is the best all round magnification in my opinion.
anything above 8x you will find some form of support will assist.
I own a pair of Minox 8x43 HG and they met all my requirements when i hunted in Montana, and still do back in the UK.
Cheers
Richard

Check out the Theron Wapiti line from Predator Optics. They are well under your price point and they won't disappoint you. I loved mine enough to get a Theron spotter as well.

i use 8x,,spotted some thar 3k away the other day
i can spot animals just as quickly as my friends with 10x but i do have lots of experience

Id go with a 10x42, and in that price range I think the Glass in Nikon Monarchs are good. A buddys got a set and I thought they were pretty clear and that's comparing them to my Leica Geovids.

Suggestions/advice please.

Greetings,

I know I am bringing this topic back from the grave however wanted some experienced hunter knowledge. My wife and I are just getting into hunting and on limited budget (so far only afford one rifle we share Savage Trophy Hunter XP 308 W/ Nikon 3c9x40). I plan on getting binoculars specifically Vortex diamondbacks. Which pair would you suggest? 8x42 or 10x42 as our only options.

Area we live/hunt:
Arizona (southern) with a chance at Texas hog with family down there.

Game we plan to hunt:
Deer, javelina, hog, elk, and anything else in those areas which put food on the table. Our first hunt will most likely be javelina; we applied for the draw.

We plan to hike/camp and really get away from it all. If this is something we truly enjoy we want to pass on these experiences to our youngins (7yo, 2yo, 5mo). We love being outdoors and away from the wired world time to time.

Thank you for your time and consideration,
Montejello

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back