Best .270 Ammunition

After actually being out there and when we rolled into camp and all sitting around that evening talking.. the guys was checking out everyone's gear/rifles I pulled out my 270 wsm loaded in 140 grain nosier they all busted out laughing at me. Their response was dang the guy from the east brought the deer rifle better make a heart shot and you do realize you in grizzly country . I asked them what they bring they all had 300 win mags and one with a 338 lapua. I actually hit two big bull elk that week same results no good blood trail then set up for the next three days waiting for the ravens to lite didn't happen. After that horrible experience I went back and reviewed what I need to do better and it was obvious to me the majority prefer a 30 caliber and nice heavy bullet for elk . Make fun of me do what ever I don't care but that 270 wont be going back with me.

After actually being out there and when we rolled into camp and all sitting around that evening talking.. the guys was checking out everyone's gear/rifles I pulled out my 270 wsm loaded in 140 grain nosier they all busted out laughing at me. Their response was dang the guy from the east brought the deer rifle better make a heart shot and you do realize you in grizzly country . I asked them what they bring they all had 300 win mags and one with a 338 lapua. I actually hit two big bull elk that week same results no good blood trail then set up for the next three days waiting for the ravens to lite didn't happen. After that horrible experience I went back and reviewed what I need to do better and it was obvious to me the majority prefer a 30 caliber and nice heavy bullet for elk . Make fun of me do what ever I don't care but that 270 wont be going back with me.
Go away. mtmuley

No, because you are full of shit, and every elk hunter on this forum knows it. Pay attention to the "elk hunter" part. mtmuley
like I said what ever .to each his own but I'm not using a light bullet anymore ..have a good night mr.muley.

How many elk kills? mtmuley
when I get to go back out west I will be sure to post the picture of the elk I get with my 300 win mag. no need to be hostile to each other we just have a difference of opinion on this . mine is a 30 cal with a heavier bullet would be a better choice for the average joe and yours is a better elk hunter can get it done with a lighter bullet and caliber. I will let the average joe make his own mind up.

DSC05335.JPGDon't post many pics Hoot. The bull on top was killed with a .243 and 90 grain Core- Lokt. The other with a .300 RUM and 200 grain Accubond. Both dead fast. Not advocating small cartridges at all. mtmuley

View attachment 132159Don't post many pics Hoot. The bull on top was killed with a .243 and 90 grain Core- Lokt. The other with a .300 RUM and 200 grain Accubond. Both dead fast. Not advocating small cartridges at all. mtmuley
good for you and its obvious you a good hunter . like I said just remember when you talking to new guys on the board they might not be a crack shot like yourself and that 200 grain would be the better choice for them. its all good I got no problems with you man and hope you feel the same with me.

In my experience a new hunter with a magnum cartridge is more likely to make a marginal shot than a new hunter with a mild recoiling rifle he/she is comfortable with. I’ll take the later with a greater chance of a well placed shot. It’s no secret that mtmuley fancy’s the 300 rum and for good reason, but a 270 wsm is more than adequate for an elk cartridge.

good for you and its obvious you a good hunter . like I said just remember when you talking to new guys on the board they might not be a crack shot like yourself and that 200 grain would be the better choice for them. its all good I got no problems with you man and hope you feel the same with me.
A 200gr bullet wont make up for crappy shooting. The reason you wounded two elk is because you made poor shots, period. Do us westerners a favour and stay home until you can shoot better.
I can almost guarantee that you will shoot a 300 of any flavour even worse than you did with your 270..

if its so awesome why doesn't any of the pros use it then..hmmm ??? answer that one

I’ll bite on this one. I’m assuming you mean pros by guys on tv? I wouldn’t call a lot of those guys experts just because they have a tv show. But like I said I’ll bite... have you noticed how many of the “pros” use a 6.5 Creedmoor or the the 6.5 PRC? not saying a 270 Is the best elk cartridge but it is more than enough if you do your part

Should spend more time on the range than worrying about a .270 being too light.

Who is a pro hunter and how do you become one?

idk I obviously missed that at career day. If you figure it out let me know too haha

I’ll bite on this one. I’m assuming you mean pros by guys on tv? I wouldn’t call a lot of those guys experts just because they have a tv show. But like I said I’ll bite... have you noticed how many of the “pros” use a 6.5 Creedmoor or the the 6.5 PRC? not saying a 270 Is the best elk cartridge but it is more than enough if you do your part
Bingo a 270 is not the best elk cartridge ..thank you.. I was just a simple point I was making for the more novice guys that are going elk hunting . why not start out with a darn good elk hunting combo like a 300 in 180 grain and then work your way down. what could it honestly hurt to do that.

A 200gr bullet wont make up for crappy shooting. The reason you wounded two elk is because you made poor shots, period. Do us westerners a favour and stay home until you can shoot better.
I can almost guarantee that you will shoot a 300 of any flavour even worse than you did with your 270..
Thanks for being classy and sorry I'm coming back again. yeah ..yeah in a perfect world everyone always makes a prefect shot. Never meet a hunter that didn't have a bad hunt doesn't matter if you hunt out west or back east. you might want to spell check some also. i' haven't attacked one person on here just gave my opinion. if you don't like my opinion that's fine. I'm going to do my thing on my next hunt when I finally draw another tag.

Bingo a 270 is not the best elk cartridge ..thank you.. I was just a simple point I was making for the more novice guys that are going elk hunting . why not start out with a darn good elk hunting combo like a 300 in 180 grain and then work your way down. what could it honestly hurt to do that.
How many elk kills? mtmuley

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back