Best .270 Ammunition

I guess this Coronavirus has got me on line to much but I wanted to say in all seriousness that you guys are 100 percent correct shot placement is always the biggest factor no matter what and being a ethical hunter. I guess some my feelings that I have developed is because back in Wyoming i got made fun of right out of the gate for bringing what they called the deer rifle on a elk hunt.. I was the only one around with a .270 everyone else had larger calibers..then I had a bad hunt on top of that . I guess that's the way it goes in life sometimes Maybe some of the high shoulder whitetail habit might not helped either especially when you got the andreline going .. I will try and do better on the next hunt. I'm still going to take the 300 when I draw again because I already bought it lol.. I am the type of cat that likes to joke around on the message board some and i will even poke fun at myself... The gifs are funny didn't bother me. Just don't curse at me like one dude did that sent me P.Ms . If you respectful to me.. I will be respectful back. Guess I been letting some of my frustrations out from back in 2018 . I hope this clears some things up .

well man hopefully you have a better experience next time You go. Take whatever rifle you feel comfortable with. And maybe find a new group to go with

Hunting/shooting is a very personal choice. You don't have to apologize for your choice on anything that is "legal". If others don't like it, they are free to use "their" choice. Just smile and go on and enjoy your hunt. If we are fortunate enough to hunt enough, long enough, we all learn what works for "us". I myself have used very small rounds and very big rounds, and there was "always" someone there to tell me "it wouldn't work", ha. Whether they did or didn't, I figured it was my own business. Now, if any of them "would have ever" bought/gave or even offered to buy/give me what they considered "best", hey, I would have used it! I'm still waiting after 59 yrs of rifle shooting! :) Life is too short, enjoy yourself pard! :)

I'm also dealing with a very serious family health issue right now . Some days I'm not getting enough sleep and it's causing me to have weird/ wild mood swings . I get happy then I get grumpy . I apologize if I seem off in the head some.

I'm also dealing with a very serious family health issue right now . Some days I'm not getting enough sleep and it's causing me to have weird/ wild mood swings . I get happy then I get grumpy . I apologize if I seem off in the head some.

I wish you well with your family health issues. This is a stressful time for everyone.

I've read this thread and waffled whether to weigh in with one more opinion. I've used a .270Win for all of my big game hunting spread over nearing fifty years. On more occasions than I could count, I've been told by others, it was a poor choice for one reason or another. This fall, I visited with a guy who flat out told me that it was not up to the chore of killing a big bull elk. I don't really engage when these conversations start.

I know what that cartridge has done in my hands. If a person uses decent judgement over when to take a shot, and is a decent shot,, you are going to find it kills very humanely. I've lost two deer that I can remember. One, I shot during the last minutes of legal light on the edge of a willow thicket. The shot was facing, head on. The deer spun around into the willows. I could not find any blood, thou I know it was fatally hit. The other deer ran off with a broken foreleg, crossed a fence onto property I could not access. Hindsight tells me that I should have passed on both shots. The first one was a combination of unfavorable circumstances that should have given me pause. The second was me taking a very long shot just to prove I could do it.

I have not had an elk or the two moose I've killed go very far at all after the shot. I've put a couple of shots into an elk, to put it down. If it's still on its feet and the angle is good, I follow up. Both moose were killed by single shots into the lungs. One moose turned its ass towards me after the first shot. While waiting for it to offer a better angle, it tipped over. The other one was bedded down, tried to get up, but could not.

I also like the 130 grain bullet, but I doubt it makes much difference, at the end of the day. I've used mostly a Hornady bullet or Nosler partition.

After actually being out there and when we rolled into camp and all sitting around that evening talking.. the guys was checking out everyone's gear/rifles I pulled out my 270 wsm loaded in 140 grain nosier they all busted out laughing at me. Their response was dang the guy from the east brought the deer rifle better make a heart shot and you do realize you in grizzly country . I asked them what they bring they all had 300 win mags and one with a 338 lapua. I actually hit two big bull elk that week same results no good blood trail then set up for the next three days waiting for the ravens to lite didn't happen. After that horrible experience I went back and reviewed what I need to do better and it was obvious to me the majority prefer a 30 caliber and nice heavy bullet for elk . Make fun of me do what ever I don't care but that 270 wont be going back with me.

You think you hit, you probably didn't! Knew a guy when stationed in Montana that had a 7mm mag for an elk rifle, he use 175gr Nosler's in it. Shot three elk that ran off on him so decided the 7mm wasn't enough. sold it and got himself a 458 win mag. Far as I know he's still having shot elk run off on him today! I know, you were there, I wasn't!

I wish you well with your family health issues. This is a stressful time for everyone.

I've read this thread and waffled whether to weigh in with one more opinion. I've used a .270Win for all of my big game hunting spread over nearing fifty years. On more occasions than I could count, I've been told by others, it was a poor choice for one reason or another. This fall, I visited with a guy who flat out told me that it was not up to the chore of killing a big bull elk. I don't really engage when these conversations start.

I know what that cartridge has done in my hands. If a person uses decent judgement over when to take a shot, and is a decent shot,, you are going to find it kills very humanely. I've lost two deer that I can remember. One, I shot during the last minutes of legal light on the edge of a willow thicket. The shot was facing, head on. The deer spun around into the willows. I could not find any blood, thou I know it was fatally hit. The other deer ran off with a broken foreleg, crossed a fence onto property I could not access. Hindsight tells me that I should have passed on both shots. The first one was a combination of unfavorable circumstances that should have given me pause. The second was me taking a very long shot just to prove I could do it.

I have not had an elk or the two moose I've killed go very far at all after the shot. I've put a couple of shots into an elk, to put it down. If it's still on its feet and the angle is good, I follow up. Both moose were killed by single shots into the lungs. One moose turned its ass towards me after the first shot. While waiting for it to offer a better angle, it tipped over. The other one was bedded down, tried to get up, but could not.

I also like the 130 grain bullet, but I doubt it makes much difference, at the end of the day. I've used mostly a Hornady bullet or Nosler partition.
I've been hunting since I was a teen. I've probably taken 200 deer with a 270. I actually hated bigger calibers for deer hunting . Majority of my shots was between 100 yards to 500 yards not like I've never taken a critter at that distance. IDk sometimes a Hunt can go just go south like it did in Wyoming for me. I actually like the 300 WM I got now it's a Savage bear hunter stainless. I've worked up a good load for it in a 180 Barnes triple sk. I've been drilling some good groups out. Like others have said just make good shot placement no matter what you using.

Read a bit about long range hunting in here. One thing that has occurred to me over the years is that we should all be shooting 500+ yds at game. Record speaks for itself. Guy's shooting at those range's never ever miss!

Read a bit about long range hunting in here. One thing that has occurred to me over the years is that we should all be shooting 500+ yds at game. Record speaks for itself. Guy's shooting at those range's never ever miss!
No shoot to what you think your abilities are and don't worry about it. In my opinion a nice comfy 75 yard shot is always better. Anyone that hunts and says they haven't missed or had a Hunt go south will probably find their nose growing like Pinocchio.

For me, growing up in East Tx, it took me 20yrs to get a shot at a whitetail over 90 yds! That one was on an old pipeline ROW, 276 long steps! First, I thought it was only 220yds or so, ha and (2) I had been practicing for months with that particular .280 shooting off hand at 200yds. I was in a treestand, wrapped up in my sling in a sitting position. It dropped so fast I thought I had missed. I kept walking and when I came up on, dead as a mackeral and it still had a mouthful of grass! I turned around and stepped it off to my stand, then recovered my buck, ha. 10 yrs later, I moved to Utah, 1990 ( via OK, never hunted there) and the wide open spaces were very intimidating for me! I had no problem hunting up in the mountains, I liked the edges of Black Timber/Aspen, learned that from bowhunting, even two trips to colorado back in late 70s. Over time, I have had opportunities to hunt in some faraway places and in more open country, thats where my "handful of kills" at 350-375yds comes from. My "average" for out West (here and in WY) is 190yds for cow elk (never had a shot at a legal bull!) about 75yds for mule deer and about 175 yds on antelope. I like them close, ha.

I get Hootowl's point. Where do you draw the line? 270 is enough, is 223? Is 22LR? Obviously you would not take those,but could they kill an elk with the proper placement and distance? Of course. The Inuit people often use strictly 223 to take down moose all the time. Would that be someones first choice of caliber if they were to go on a moose hunt? Probably not.

On the other side of things, it you HAD to choose 1 of two options, would you rather get shot in the foot with a 300 mag or in the heart with a 270 or even smaller caliber? The awnswer is obvious. We all know shot placement is the most important factor when it comes to big game hunting to ethnically kill the animal you are after.

Back