Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Best .270 Ammunition

Hi everyone,

Just got myself a .270 for elk/deer. I was wondering what everyone recommends for ammo for Elk hunting. I am planning a trip to Idaho in 2021 and want to make sure I find the best round to make sure I can bring one home. This will be my first time elk hunting so I am curious to know what you all have to say. Thanks.

Sounds like you don't reload and are looking at Factory ammunition?

I'd find some 130 or 140 gr. ammunition loaded with Nosler Partitions, Accubonds, or E-tips. You could pick the one that shoots best in your rifle and go hunt elk with complete confidence. If I were to suggest one to start with I'd probably go with the 130 gr. Accubond. You should be able to find it loaded by Federal or Nosler, or maybe some other manufacturers.

Hornady. 3200 fps at the muzzle, 130 grain copper

Now if I can just find something to shoot at. C'mon New Mexico draw, big money, big money. View attachment 131613
That ammo is absolute shit for elk I know from too much experience.

That totally sucks to hear. I had to re-sight my scope, which hadn't been touched in 20 years, for that ammo. What can go wrong with elk and a fast mono? Are you shooting really long distances? .270 as well?

That ammo is absolute shit for elk I know from too much experience.

As I said in the other post, the Federal 150gr Fusion is real popular for at least 2 guys I know who use .270 for mule deer and elk. Several older men always used Remington 150 Corlokt ( round nose) factory loads and a couple others used Winchester 150 Power Point. The ones I talked with who use the 130s seemed to be handloaders, they used Barnes or Nosler Partitions. I'm sure there are many, and for myself, I am going with handloaded 129 LRX. In factory, I would try some Barnes vortex 130 TTSx or 129 LRX first. Any other weights would have to be Bonded or Partitions for me. Whatever you get, try to shoot well off the bench, 3 shot groups of 1 1/4 or less. I like +2"@100 for a zero, as my average range on elk has been 190 yds. But be prepared for a running shot! have fun though...!

That totally sucks to hear. I had to re-sight my scope, which hadn't been touched in 20 years, for that ammo. What can go wrong with elk and a fast mono? Are you shooting really long distances? .270 as well?
Yes I’ve used my .270 for everything since I was 12 I used to use core lokts and then started with sst and gmx. Not a long range shooter. I’m a bit slow so it took me a few years of using them to figure out that the elk were taking a long time to die. Many of them took multiple shots to put down not due to poor shooting, just due to not enough damage being done inside. I now use hornady interlocks which have been fantastic.

Use what the gun likes. A seldom-used rifle I picked up came with a box of 130 gr Corelocks. The first time out at the range they shot a tiny group, so I stuck with them. A cow elk last fall did not like them at all. One and done, pass-through.

Gotcha, so a similar problem to shooting deer with a non expansible round. We called it "slick holing" down south.
Well that sucks.

Yes I’ve used my .270 for everything since I was 12 I used to use core lokts and then started with sst and gmx. Not a long range shooter. I’m a bit slow so it took me a few years of using them to figure out that the elk were taking a long time to die. Many of them took multiple shots to put down not due to poor shooting, just due to not enough damage being done inside. I now use hornady interlocks which have been fantastic.

Federal Premium ammo with 150 grain Nosler partitions will not let you down.
I am a fan of Core-Lokt ammo and I've always wondered why they have never offered the 150 grain bullet in a pointed soft point and not just the round nose bullet?
They've always worked wonderfully in my 7 RM.

Use the 270 to deer hunt with and leave it in the closet for the elk.. go buy something else that will push a heavier bullet for the elk.. been there and done that never again. I now have a 300 win mag.

I have seen alot of 130 gr being mentioned. Why is this? I would assume less drop, but looking at ballistic charts 140 or 150 don't drop all that much more and have more punch. I don't have alot of ballistics experience, so if any insite or opinions regarding this would be great.

Two ways to go about it (for a .270 or similar, to keep in context)...fast & flat (high velocity/expansion/damage) or heavy/slower ( for penetration & damage)
The fast & flat help hit where you aim, and for elk, the 130s have to be either Premium ( or stout enough) to open up with shock & awe) or expanding mono-metal to do shock yet penetrate. The heavy/slower ( relative to the 130,etc) has proven to work very well too, if it opens up (or wads up, "mushrooms") and holds together to penetrate. Neither one is perfect nor ever 'wrong". It get down to what you want to shoot. Personally, I feel there is a big difference between the "constitution" of a 350-500 pound cow elk and a much bigger, heavier muscled Bull. While I have no problems using a 270/130 mono. I still would put it through the forward part of the shoulders or high shoulder. If thats what I had to hunt with, same for a Bull. If I had a choice, "for me" bigger is always better....I see no logical reason to differentiate between a 270/160 Partition and a 7mm Rem Mag/160 Partition if both are going within 100 fps of each other! If I wanted more, then sure, one of the 300 mags on up to as much as you want to use! Don't agonize over it, perfect practice makes perfect, put the right "kind" of bullet where it goes, and have fun doing it! :)

I'm going to put this out there for last of the Mohicans. Like someone else said talking about elk there is a big difference between a cow elk and a bull elk only about 300 to 400 more pounds of bone and muscle for a bullet too rip through on a bull. 130 -150 grain is very light for a mature bull elk. I want you to think about this... and I wish to god that I would've thought about this myself a few years ago. When you see the pros on T.V. doing there thing taking an elk how many you see using a 270?????? That's right a very, very low percentage. They always use a 160 grain and heavier most use 180 -200 grains and most use a 30 caliber .308, 300 win mag etc. You think they might know something or just like me they been there and done that and never again. If that doesn't make the light bulb come on then I don't know what else to say. IF you don't like the recoil of the 300 mag get a muzzle break or a use a nice butt pad. I never used a 30 cal. because I was afraid of the recoil but a nice pad on the stock took care of that and its not bad at all to shoot. I was like what the hell was I thinking should've done that a long time ago.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajjones
Back