Caribou Gear

.270 Winchester favorites?

RevJim

I've killed only 3 cow elk out here, used a 30-06, then a .375 H&H and last a 338 winMag. The big guns were also on their way to be used in Africa is why. For cow elk, I have come to the conclusion that the Barnes 129 LRX in my 24" .270 Win ( Kimber 84L, wood stock) is plenty. Since I have no more trips to Africa in the future, I lean toward the "deer/elk" category. I just got this Kimber ( its my "Tenth" .270 , even though I've never killed more than 1 Jackrabbit and finished off a Spanish Goat for my Godson) I like the round a lot. So I am playing with one now.

So, you .270 Win Elk Killers, what is your favorite bullet/speed?

I've been using 140gr Partitions right at 2950fps with Hybrid 100V. Going to swap to a non-lead bullet as soon as I burn through the Partitions but at the rate I accumulate rifles it'll be a very long time.

I have always been a .270 guy and learned to like the .270 from an older friend who does my loads for me. He has always hand loaded 150gr Sierra BT's with IMR 4831. My tikka shoots them right at 2770 fps.

Nothing special about the bullet or the load, but it has killed a lot of elk.

I know a few guys who use Federal 150 Fusions each year in their .270s. A friend over in Colorado loads the 130 TSX for some hunting buddies in their .270s. Says they shoot completely through on broadside shoulder shots. I picked up these 129 LRX just because I want to use them on both deer and elk, they are supposed to open quicker. I've shot a lot of game with the first Barnes X, then the XBT, the XLC and the TSX. I've only seen the TTSX in a friends 30-06 used on hog. I shot a lot of the Winchester 140 Failsafe, in an old Belgium made BAR .270 ( the one my God son used) but the Jack and the goat were it, ha. They were pretty tough bullets.

I'd shoot a 130 grain ttsx. Or 150 grain partition but I like the monometal bullets

I like the Monos too on any thick skinned/heavy muscled critter. Of course, my experience on Game stops with the TSX. while I've shot many TTSX, in many calibers, I haven't hunted with them yet. The Accubonds I've used, and seen used, all acted like, well, "Partitions", which thrilled me! But for penetration, good wound channel all the way through, for the heavier game, my experience ( which is limited and varied of course) the Barnes (or similar) are real killers. I love to ask what others like as Time/Opportunity just won't allow me to use all the good bullets/rounds out there! ha

150 Nosler Partition Gold (no longer produced) pushed by IMR 4350 around 2850 FPS has DRT'd a few elk and a few big mulies for me. I have 150-200 of the Partition Golds left so I have plenty for the rest of my lifetime. Best Nosler made IMO. I was bummed when they discontinued them. I have recovered three of them ( one from an elk and two from mud backstop). 90% weight retention and perfect mushrooms.

The Partition Gold had the partition moved further forward didn't it? I did not know they were made for under 30 caliber until now. I bet they "are" real killers! I never had a Nosler BT,AB nor PT "not shoot well" in anything I tried them in. Even the Ballistic Tip has been toughened up it seems, but I killed a lot of game with them even when they were softer. I have read many stories of 270/150 PT just killing way outside what many think. Its the same way with the Monos. Only time I ever had even a little bit of an issue with them was in a 6mm/222 and the 85XBT on Axis and jackrabbits. They killed, but didn't open very much on the Axis, and just zipped right through the jacks. I figured it would, but it worked "swell" on an Oryx on the same Lease!

To keep it relative, I used a 50XLC in a .221 Fireball carbine on an 80 pound shoat at 75 yds, made a 50 cal hole all the way through!

I worked up a load for a buddy's 270 using H4831SC, Federal 215 primers, Winchester cases, and 130 gr. Nosler Partitions. That's a hard combination to beat and one that Jack O'Connor used a LOT! I had just as of a result using IMR4350 with the 130 gr. Partitions. I would try those two powders and 130 gr. Partitions and 130 gr. Accubonds. The one I could get to shoot the best is the one I would then use to hunt with. In my buddies 270 the 130 gr. Accubond also shot extremely well.

I really like 130 grain for the 270. I’ve taken an elk with 130 accubonds, a friend did with 130 ballistic silvertips. Both performed well. I’ve only taken deer and lope with 130 Barnes. Ttsx, but I think that bullet would be very good on elk.

Interesting - it seems most here go with the 130 Accubonds over the 140 Accubonds. I was thinking I would use the 140s for elk but will give the 130s a look.

Haven't used the .270 win on elk. I've used the 140gr Accubonds, 140gr Hornady Interlok and the 130 GMX on deer. Thinking they'd have all worked fine on cow elk.

The Partition Gold had the partition moved further forward didn't it? I did not know they were made for under 30 caliber until now. I bet they "are" real killers! I never had a Nosler BT,AB nor PT "not shoot well" in anything I tried them in. Even the Ballistic Tip has been toughened up it seems, but I killed a lot of game with them even when they were softer. I have read many stories of 270/150 PT just killing way outside what many think. Its the same way with the Monos. Only time I ever had even a little bit of an issue with them was in a 6mm/222 and the 85XBT on Axis and jackrabbits. They killed, but didn't open very much on the Axis, and just zipped right through the jacks. I figured it would, but it worked "swell" on an Oryx on the same Lease!

To keep it relative, I used a 50XLC in a .221 Fireball carbine on an 80 pound shoat at 75 yds, made a 50 cal hole all the way through!

Yeah the partition was a bit forward and they also inserted a steel cup between the copper and the lead partition.

150 Nosler Partition Gold (no longer produced) pushed by IMR 4350 around 2850 FPS has DRT'd a few elk and a few big mulies for me. I have 150-200 of the Partition Golds left so I have plenty for the rest of my lifetime. Best Nosler made IMO. I was bummed when they discontinued them. I have recovered three of them ( one from an elk and two from mud backstop). 90% weight retention and perfect mushrooms.

Pat, what did Kelly ( colorado ) use. He knocked down an Elk or two ?

We use wood leigh only because we being them in with the 275 H & H and 348. However in years past we have used Swift A Frames on Moose and they worked well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gowest23
Back