.270 Winchester favorites?

55 grains of IMR 4831 topped with a 150 gr. Nosler Partition has taken most of my elk and deer I have shot for the past thirty plus years. Never failed me, but I always kept my shots inside 300 yards. I am sure it would do just fine out even further, just my personal limit on shot distance.

While I haven't asked every 270W elk hunter what bullet he uses, I will say I've been asking them here in Utah for past 30yrs! Overwhelmingly it has been the 150gr, of some make (including Remington 150 corlokts!) . The 140 was very popular when Winchester loaded the 140Failsafe, in fact ,y own BAR loved it more than handloads. Now I myself loaded the 140NAB for my SILs .270 I gave him. But he has never killed elk, only deer with it. He has used NABs in the 35 Whelen AI, and the 338 Federal. I've used the 180 NAB screaming from a 338 RUM on a big Aoudad, partition perfect. But I'm going to wring out the monos in this new to me .270W this year. Keep em coming guys! :)

I love some 150 Partitions.
I have killed 4 bear with them. dozens upon dozens of deer, and one very aggravated and jumpy quarter horse that had a broken hip due to a fall.
One of these days I will probably use them on elk too I guess.
However.. as a young kid I used Remington mushrooms religiously mostly because it was about the only bullet stocked at the store down the road and killed many a critter with them. Still have many friends and family that swear by them.

I've used 130 grain bullets for everything I've hunted with my .270Win. The load I've used was Jack O'Connor's load. While it is a stout loading, it has never caused me any difficulties.

My rifle has shot Hornady and Nosler Partitions equally well. One of these days I'll work up a load using one of the non lead bullets,, or not. I've been using the Hornady GMX load the last couple of years.

The two moose I've killed did not go anywhere with a bullet thru the lungs. One turned away and stood, denying me a second shot. After maybe 10 seconds, it melted to the ground. The second moose was bedded, tried to get up but couldn't.

What bullet did you use on the moose?

I used the 130 grain Nosler Partition. I found the bullets against the hide on the far side on both moose I have taken. Both were shot thru the lungs, one at maybe 200 yards the other at around 50 yards.

That's a wad of penetration! I've only been around our Shiras here, but they were huge ( I also belong to the "chased by a cow moose"Club) I can't imagine the size of the Canadians, much lees the Yukon! I spoke with some Canadian Outfitters at a Tulsa, OK Gun Show, back in '87. I was asking them "the best" rifle for Moose ( and those big elk) They all said .270, 308, 30-06 category. To shoot them good behind the shoulder then "let them go lay down". The Magnums or whanging away at them put them on the run to the bogs or rivers. That's what I was told...and being a Bowhunter too, I was not surprised. I just, at the time, didn't realize how well they penetrated that big of a critter! ha

Use RL 19 behind 140 gr FailSafe bullets (I have a good stock that I purchased when Winny quit production, MV 2950. GJ

GJ- 2950 is awful sweet, especially with that old140 Failsafe. I used to have an old Belgium made BAR that shot the factory Winchester load (nickle cases/black bullet= wicked looking! ha) into 3/4" all day. Once I found this out, I bought 5 boxes of the same Lot#. Over a few years, I and my godson shot them all up. then, Winchester quit making them???!!! I can only think the reason was (a) they found a less expensive way to go or/and (b) it IS a pretty tough bullet, almost too tough for deer and smaller exotics. It sure has a steller rep on elk sized ones though!

My last .270 was a 22" bbl Mod 700 Classic. had a pretty long throat. I was experimenting a little with R26 and the Nosler 160 partition. I actually got to 2930-2950 fps with .90" at one point, Winchester cases. Now, I have a "new to me Kimber 84L Classic in wood, .270W that has a 24" bbl. I am going to start out with the 129 LRX, but will eventually get around to that Nosler 160PT ( I like both styles of bullets) My point is, my 24" bbl 7mm Rem Mag I had back in the 80s could not get more than 2950/160PT ( at that time it only liked IMR 4350). So, anything over 2900 should be as deadly from a 270W as a 7mm Rem Mag or 280AI...I think its a pretty awesome round! Just saying...

Remington core lokts in the past and now hornady interlocks(American whitetail). All 130 grain. 140s would be great too. Almost all of my rifle el have been killed with my .270 except a cow this past season. It’s a great round with proper bullets. (Stay away from sst and Gmx)

I've never messed with the GMX, what kind of issue did you have with it Pard?

I know a few guys who use Federal 150 Fusions each year in their .270s. A friend over in Colorado loads the 130 TSX for some hunting buddies in their .270s. Says they shoot completely through on broadside shoulder shots. I picked up these 129 LRX just because I want to use them on both deer and elk, they are supposed to open quicker. I've shot a lot of game with the first Barnes X, then the XBT, the XLC and the TSX. I've only seen the TTSX in a friends 30-06 used on hog. I shot a lot of the Winchester 140 Failsafe, in an old Belgium made BAR .270 ( the one my God son used) but the Jack and the goat were it, ha. They were pretty tough bullets.
well i have not shot anything but white tail with my 270 using barnes tsx 130gr i have yet to have a deer take a step after shooting them gives clean pass through and if one was to run would definitely leave good blood trail curious how the tsx would handle elk

I've killed only 3 cow elk out here, used a 30-06, then a .375 H&H and last a 338 winMag. The big guns were also on their way to be used in Africa is why. For cow elk, I have come to the conclusion that the Barnes 129 LRX in my 24" .270 Win ( Kimber 84L, wood stock) is plenty. Since I have no more trips to Africa in the future, I lean toward the "deer/elk" category. I just got this Kimber ( its my "Tenth" .270 , even though I've never killed more than 1 Jackrabbit and finished off a Spanish Goat for my Godson) I like the round a lot. So I am playing with one now.

So, you .270 Win Elk Killers, what is your favorite bullet/speed?
150grain. Nosler partitions. All about shot placement.

I have used factory loads of 150 gr. Partitions for deer, caribou and elk with great success. I tried some 150 gr. Fusions when they first came out. My rifle shot them better than the Partitions. I have taken deer and elk with the Fusions without issue.

Nosler factory (Troohy) Accubonds 140gr. Have not put an elk down with one yet, but hope to change that in the next few days! Dropped 3 mule deer in their tracks with them on Saturday.

I knocked a cow elk over with a 270 a couple of weeks ago. Its the first time I have used a 270 on an elk. I was impressed. I used Hornady's new 145 gr ELD-X. She was 290 yds mostly broadside with just a slight quarter away. I recovered the bullet just under the hide in the off shoulder. She didn't take a step, just dropped in her tracks.

IMG_2642.jpgIMG_2666.jpg

130 grain Speer Grand Slam at 3050. Works on any game in North America. Have been shooting 150 grain Berger VLD in 270 WSM At 3050. Loaded some in .270 win and was able to get them to 3000. That is the deadliest bullet I’ve ever used.

I shot a doe today at 200 yards with my weatherby 270 wm in the head with a 3-9 old Burris scope.130 gr factory Barnes TTSX. First kill with the rifle. Very impressed with that round.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back