Beer Can Grouse

elkrchr

Today was the last day of Oregon's general blacktail deer rifle season. I took yesterday off and headed up on the mountain to try my luck with the elusive blacktail deer. I saw some fresh rubs, a few spots where a buck had dogged a doe on an old skid road, but no deer were sighted. Fortunately for me (not the grouse) I had packed the 20 gauge. After running into several ruffed grouse and blue grouse during my search for deer, I switched weapons and got in a little trigger time. Should have had another ruffed and a blue, but they are tough to hit bombing through the tall timber after they just scared the pee out of you!

Anyhow, my wife was off hunting blacktail today, so my son and I decided to stoke the outdoor BBQ and cook the grouse over an open fire. A little (okay, maybe a lot) Weber Beer Can Chicken seasoning and some juniper scraps for a fire and we had ourselves one fine dinner. I can honestly say we gave KFC a run for their money!

Attachments

• Grouse 1.jpg
    Grouse 1.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 528
  • Grouse 2.jpg
    Grouse 2.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 523
  • Grouse 3.jpg
    Grouse 3.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 520
  • Grouse 4.jpg
    Grouse 4.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 527
  • Grouse 5.jpg
    Grouse 5.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 527
  • Grouse 6.jpg
    Grouse 6.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 511
  • Grouse 7.jpg
    Grouse 7.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 513
Nice ruffs!

How is cooking over juniper wood? my dad has a ton on his place he is cutting down - so I could stock my wood pile.

..... Should have had another ruffed and a blue, but they are tough to hit bombing through the tall timber after they just scared the pee out of you!

That is why I consider grouse fair game for "ground slooshing." Too good of table fare to let them fly off. I have a "Long Tom" 12 gauge with a full choke for such things.

Looks like good stuff. The young guy seems to agree. Thanks for sharing. It is a ton of fun to swat a brace of grouse and eat them the same day.

I use to hunt grouse A LOT in northern NY years ago and your right....they are tough hunting but we'll worth the effort.....Congrats......:cool:

all right! Looks like I'm off to grouse hunt now. Awesome pictures and a great write-up! I'll have to take a look at that beer can chicken spice. Thanks for the post..

I enjoy the the flavor the juniper imparts during the cooking process. ScottP, if your dad has a bunch of juniper sitting around, I'd grab a couple wheel barrel loads and try it. If you don't like it, at least you've got a bunch of awesome firewood!

Good looking stuff! I'd be interested to see some more pictures of that outdoor cooking setup you've got there.

You have given me some ideas for a few pheasants who recently met their demise!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back