Beating Cancer and Chasing Elk

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
You might have watched the day-by-day version of this hunt, but now the fully edited Amazon version is available.

This is a story about our dear friend, Beau Baty, fighting cancer in the winter of 2019. We were so excited when he drew his Wyoming elk tag and made plans to film him. He called shortly thereafter and told me the diagnosis. I called off filming the hunt, not wanting to add any further burden to Beau. He asked if we could keep it on the calendar, as he wanted to have a bright light at the end of the tunnel.

He was in really rough shape by May. I was far more worried about his longevity than I was anything about elk hunting. We talked frequently. It was hard to watch him and his family struggle through this. Yet, knowing Beau as I do, when he promised he would win this race, I was not going to doubt him.

By July, he was doing better and waiting for final tests to see if it was gone. In August, he got the "all clear" sign. He was committed to this elk hunt in Wyoming, having spent six points to draw the tag. I was still worried, knowing how far down his health had spiraled. But, if you know Beau, he loves being in the wild with his llamas, rifle in hand and tag in pocket.

In the end, I am thankful Beau decided to have this filmed. The story is remarkable. It shows the character of a remarkable man. It serves as a reminder of how fickle health can be. And, it provides inspiration that we should live life as full as our health allows.

Thanks Beau. We appreciation your friendship and your inspiration. Thankful to see your smiling face and hear your laughing voice.

YouTube link below.

What a great story that really puts life into perspective. Well done and wishing Beau and his family yrs of health and happiness...hard to top a smile like that!

That was a great episode. Glad to
See he is ok And pulled through everything.

he also has my new favorite line from a hunting show “option 1 we tried being patient for about 10 mins...that didn’t last very long” haha

Powerful stuff, high quality guy with a great message of perseverance. Congrats Beau! And thanks to Fin and crew for making these stories accessible

I caught this episode and was floored. While the show is obviously geared toward public land hunters, Beau's story serves as inspiration to anyone suffering from cancer or any malady, and how powerful a medicine of having a personal recovery and reward goal can be.

A thank you to Beau for showing we fellow sportsmen that personal side of yourself.

I liked Beau in the first shows that saw him in. He and his business are first class for quality. He seems like a natural for hunting and wanting to entertain. I was very impressed with him before this latest show. Now that he has dealt with cancer I am impressed to the point he is an idol for me. I wish him and his family the best. Fin and crew, great job! Quite a story to be told showing humanity.

I watched the day-by-day earlier this year on YouTube. When I saw this post this morning I thought I’d watch it but I’ll end up seeing the same stuff over again. How wrong was I?! This was a great episode. Beau seems like a great man with a wonderful circle around him. Dang technology these days too, when he started welling up on camera, it got a bit humid at my place. Didn’t think my TV would transfer that through the screen.

One of the best episodes to date. Very inspiring, wishing Beau and his family well from here on out.

Just when the health issue seemed behind them from this time a year ago, along comes a global pandemic. Though not as life-threatening as cancer, Beau and Kirstin have been getting hammered by the COVIC-19 issue.

The majority of their income is derived from guided summer pack trips with their llamas. They book trips in Yellowstone, the Wind Rivers, Castle Reef in Utah, The Frank Church, and other places that are designed to be explored on foot and with llamas. They have guides, permits, llamas to feed, supplies to have ready, and a lot of other overhead. But, with the current C-19 situation, they have no ability to take people on trips.

As you can imagine, they have lost almost all of their summer 2020 reservations. And being the good folks they are, they have been giving everyone a 100% return of their money.

Renting llamas for hunting season is always a great idea, opens your options to new areas, and is a ton of fun. If you are inclined to do so for this fall's hunting seasons, it would be great year to do so. And I suspect Beau and Kirstin would be happy to assist in any way that is helpful.

Tremendous experience made even more complete with Beau's gratitude and thankfulness for being alive and well. God has given each of us so many blessings in life to be thankful for - faith, family, freedom, friends, food, health, homes....and, yes, even, llamas! Every time I am out whether hunting or just hiking, I make it a point to express my thanks - what a gift.

I appreciate you sharing your adventure with us, Beau. God bless you and your family.

Note: Posted previously on Rokslide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back