Caribou Gear Tarp

Bear Top Roast Suggestions

I have a 6lb top round roast thawing. Looking to do something different with it either in my dutch oven or my smoker and am looking for suggestions....

If you have a smoker and plenty of time, I bet smoking it for an hour and then finishing it off with several more hours in the oven in a braising liquid would be amazing. I found that the best bear roasts have 6-8 hours @250 to break down the collagen between the muscle fibers and get it tender.

For the braising liquid, I mix beef bouillon, red wine, and add enough water to cover the meat. Plenty of salt & pepper, a whole rough chopped onion, several jalapeños chunked, several celery stalks, chunked.

A key is to cook it covered but let some steam escape to condense the braising liquid and intensify the flavor as it cooks. Don’t let it run out of liquid .

I had plenty of time. Put it on the smoker for 2 hours. Then Browned it on all sides then put it into the aforementioned braising liquid in the oven at 230 for 8 hours.

Attachments

• AE7AB6CC-DFBC-4E41-A1B3-5FA1F31267A4.jpeg
    AE7AB6CC-DFBC-4E41-A1B3-5FA1F31267A4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 12
It was delicious!
Was able to make 3 dinners out of it.
I much preferred this to the crock pot roasts I have done in the past.
Super interesting, smoke and then braise. I gotta try this on a deer shoulder. With any luck I can try it on bear this spring too. Thanks for the post!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back