Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Bear Encounters (pics)

theat

I spent a couple days last week hiking around looking for elk sheds. Of the 20+ bulls I saw in that area, only one had dropped...so I obviously did not have much luck. I did end up having a couple of bear encounters that gave me the opportunity to take some great pics. This is the earliest that I have seen black bears in Montana.

My lab and I jumped this bear at less than 15 yards and he quickly climbed a huge ponderosa pine a few feet away. This fat guy only went up about 15 feet and proceeded to make pose after pose just like a professional model:D
DSC00034.JPG

DSC00144.jpg

DSC00158.jpg

DSC00168.jpg

DSC00178.jpg

DSC00174.jpg

Nice pics theat. That last one especially. Looks like the face has been beaten up a bit.

Dave Hawk, paging Dave Hawk......that pose seems right up your artistic alley.

A couple of days later I headed into a drainage a few miles away. Once again not much luck on the sheds, but I did spot this chocolate sow out feeding on an open hill side.

I decided to sneak in closer and see if I could get some pictures. I was able to get about 50 yards from it and take a bunch of pics before it spotted my dog and I. The bear ran off about 30 yards and disappeared behind a rock.

I couldn't figure out how the bear vanished so fast, so I went down to the rock and sure enough there was its den. It is the first time I have had a close up look at an occupied den. It was very exciting, but I did not want to get mauled so I took a few quick pics and got out of there. Hopefully I have as good of luck finding bears once the season starts!

The den is about 30-40 yards to the right of the bear under the rock.
DSC00217.jpg

DSC00239.jpg

DSC00241.jpg

DSC00253.jpg

DSC00242.jpg

DSC00260.jpg

Man that is sweet, great pics. Thats a nice bear. Maybe he will be around next tuesday! I got out last weekend and found 2 singles and a set brown, but almostevery bull I saw was still packing both sides. Felt pretty lucky to find any. Good luck this spring

Wow I just saw the second bear! What a day man. On my bucket list for sure to find a blackie in the den!

Yours are way bigger than mine for getting that close to the den, but those are amazing pictures!

You have some big brass ones to get that close to cornered bear. Nice pics!

Those are awesome! Does seem early. You just made my bear trip during the last week of May feel very far away...

I've been checking the slopes on the way to and from work. Nothing yet, but the grass is starting to get green in some places. Awesome pics!

Awesome pics Theat! 30 days can't come soon enough! Both would make a fantastic rug.

You have a bigger set than me for getting that den picture for sure!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back