Caribou Gear Tarp

Barrel Maker Suggestions

Four22

I have 2 rifles that are needing new barrels and I'm looking for input from experiences with different barrel brands.

The 2 rifles I have to rebarrel:

Ruger M77 - Currently in 25-06 and want to rebarrel back to 25-06

M98 Brno Mauser - this was supposed to stay an 8mm but further investigation of the bore revealed an indication in the forging that runs from the throat almost to the muzzle.... I'd like to rebarrel in 280 Ackley.

What I'm looking for: Preferably a pre threaded, short chambered barrel that I can final fit, finish chamber and blue. I've looked at McGowan and ER Shaw to this point but wanted to hear what others thought were good options.

I do have the capability to fully thread and chamber a Shilen blank from Midway, but was looking to save a little time if I could find one pre threaded.

Thoughts?!?!

Thanks All!

It’s takes some action work to get an ‘06 length cartridge to fit in a 98k. It also takes some modification of the feed lips and follower to get smooth feeding from a case with substantially less body taper than the Mauser cases. It can be done, but it’s some work and requires a bit of expertise as well. The best bet would be to stick with a Mauser case. 7x57 is very tough to beat. 6.5x57 is a nice cartridge as well. I’m not sure if a 6.5x55 Swede will work in a 98K without modification. Of course an 8x57 is a hammer, but there is a lack of bullet options. A 6.5x57 will run a 140 as fast as a 280AI will run a 168 and they have similar BCs. The 7x57 is a lot closer to a 7-08 than a .280AI, but it’s an excellent round, and an excellent use of that action. Handloads can mildly increase performance of the 7x57, but it’s capacity is not much greater than the 7-08. The 6.5x57 and 8x57 use a longer body and shorter neck than the 6Rem, 257Rob and 7x57, giving them a fair bit more capacity than the .308Win family.

I have used pacnor for barrels and have a buddy that has used them a lot as well. Cant find anything to complain about regarding their barrels.

Hard to find good consistency these day. A lot of makers are hit or miss. McGowan can be good or bad. I got a pre threaded shilen select match in .28 for my savage build about 8 months ago that is the best barrel I have ever owned.

I have used pacnor for barrels and have a buddy that has used them a lot as well. Cant find anything to complain about regarding their barrels.

They do have quite a good rep for a semi-custom! Nosler even used them for a very long time!

McGowens have been used by a lot of people that I shoot with and they all are pleased with them. Definitely better than factory barrels they pulled off. By that I don’t mean shot out factory barrels but relatively new take offs that were shot only a couple hundred rounds. If I were to thread a blank, my first choice would be Kreiger but there’s a bunch of very good companies that make blanks. A very good suggestion about the 98 from ImBillT.

They do have quite a good rep for a semi-custom! Nosler even used them for a very long time!

I'll have my third barrel from them in a couple months...the first 2 shoot fair to middlin'.

5 shots, 100 yards:

1228141902a.jpg

A different barrel, shot 1 was closest to the center and on a clean barrel. Shots 2-5 were all touching.

IMG_4979.JPG

Both barrels are pacnor #2 contour 1-9 twist 3 groove 11 degree crown super match grade stainless steel both on trued 700 actions one finished at 23" one at 24"...would probably go 22 on both if I do it again.

200 yards with first test load shots 9-12 through my rifle with the 24" barrel.

IMG_1056.JPG

Probably better barrel makers out there, but they've done a good job for me so far...always subject to change I reckon.

Another caliber to consider in the 98 action is .284 win. The action is longer than a standard short action so you can seat the bullets to take advantage of the capacity.

It’s takes some action work to get an ‘06 length cartridge to fit in a 98k. It also takes some modification of the feed lips and follower to get smooth feeding from a case with substantially less body taper than the Mauser cases. It can be done, but it’s some work and requires a bit of expertise as well. The best bet would be to stick with a Mauser case. 7x57 is very tough to beat. 6.5x57 is a nice cartridge as well. I’m not sure if a 6.5x55 Swede will work in a 98K without modification. Of course an 8x57 is a hammer, but there is a lack of bullet options. A 6.5x57 will run a 140 as fast as a 280AI will run a 168 and they have similar BCs. The 7x57 is a lot closer to a 7-08 than a .280AI, but it’s an excellent round, and an excellent use of that action. Handloads can mildly increase performance of the 7x57, but it’s capacity is not much greater than the 7-08. The 6.5x57 and 8x57 use a longer body and shorter neck than the 6Rem, 257Rob and 7x57, giving them a fair bit more capacity than the .308Win family.

A 6.5x55 can be built on a 98, the bolt face may or may not need to be slightly opened. Ive built a few on 98s and some of the donor bolts worked fine and others I had to open. Ive also built a 25-06 on a German 98 with no mods to the feed lips or follower. I have a 98 still in 8mm hanging out in the safe that will be turned into a 7-08 or 308 for my daughter within the next few years, just cant decide what its going to be yet>

All good info. thanks fellas!

Anyone have links to information on twist rates for non lead bullets? I know 25-06 is 1:10 standard and 280 is 1:9 but does it make sense to speed it up a little for better bullet stabilization on the longer non lead projectiles?

I suggest PacNor, first non factory barrel for me but its a shooter.

A 6.5x55 can be built on a 98, the bolt face may or may not need to be slightly opened. Ive built a few on 98s and some of the donor bolts worked fine and others I had to open. Ive also built a 25-06 on a German 98 with no mods to the feed lips or follower. I have a 98 still in 8mm hanging out in the safe that will be turned into a 7-08 or 308 for my daughter within the next few years, just cant decide what its going to be yet>

The follower and feed lip modification was in reference to cartridges with a lot less body taper ie. the Ackley Improved and similar cartridges. Sounds like you’ve worked with a lot of those old actions .

All good info. thanks fellas!

Anyone have links to information on twist rates for non lead bullets? I know 25-06 is 1:10 standard and 280 is 1:9 but does it make sense to speed it up a little for better bullet stabilization on the longer non lead projectiles?

On the 25-06 yes 10” leaves VLDs and most coppers out. On the .280 a 9” is already in the zone for all but the longest bullets, so it depends on what you plan to shoot.

Hard to find good consistency these day. A lot of makers are hit or miss. McGowan can be good or bad. I got a pre threaded shilen select match in .28 for my savage build about 8 months ago that is the best barrel I have ever owned.

And I was just thinking the opposite, Hard to find a bad barrel maker anymore these days.

KP barrels has treated me well on a couple rifles and will make whatever you want if you call them. Built right here in SD so that's another selling point for me as well.

Four22,
I'll have to agree with VAspeedgoat on the 284 Win.

Thus far i have gotten 2 E.R.Shaw barrels. Can't say enough good about them.

One is on my Whitworth Mark X action. Went from 270 Win to 284 Win.
1.5 contour, 24" polished, blued, recessed 11 degree crown. $272 shipped to my door.

Second is on my Stevens 200.
24" polished, blued in 250 Savage. I'm one of the few people i know about shooting a 115gr Berger VLD Hunting from a 250 Savage.
Barrel was an over run special. $100.

The only bullet that really comes to mind with needing special twist rates are Cutting Edge Bullets.

Pac nor isn’t a bad choice at all. ER Shaw can be very hit or miss. I’d go 9 twist in the 25-06 and 8 twist in the 280. Even if you decide on not running super heavy bullets you will be fine with those twist rates.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back