Barnes TTSX

Brian in Montana

Never used them before or really given them a great deal of thought, but this past week I had a little extra time and did some load development in my wife's .270 using 130gn TTSX and H4831. Could be that her rifle just really likes this combination. I'm still going to verify a couple groups and get some velocity data, but it seems I'm coming out of that batch with two loads grouping about .6 MOA, both over 3000fps. Kind of impressed with that little bullet.

I usually sort my bullets before I load them and I find the TTSX's to have better consistency than some other brands.

My 30-06 hated them, my .243 shoots the 85gr. TTSX really well and my 7mm RM really likes the 139 LRX. I’ve never had a bang-flop with them but penetration and internal damage have been spectacular.

I sort for all loads now. With the TTSX I likely don't need to. If I have a bad shot in a group I know it's me and not the ammo I loaded.

Sorting may be a waste of time if you are shooting short range....as soon as you start adding on the yards it becomes a plus.

Consistent bullet jump/seating depth is important to having the low velocity spread required for accuracy at distance.

But as I say that....I don’t sort anything and shoot well beyond a grand (not on game).

I’ve shot a good # of deer and lope with that exact load. From 50-300 yards was consistently a tiny entrance with golf ball sized exit. Rarely had anything drop on the spot, but nothing ran far and usually there was a good blood trail.

I’ve not tried many of the Barnes bullets but have had great results on paper and game with a handful of 85gr tsx in a .243 Win and used two 185gr TTSXs with good results on two different mule deer with my .338-06. Been happy with the results so far! I’m not looking to switch brands yet but think I want to go up to the 210gr TTSX for next year.

I’m a ttsx fan too. My 300 wm loves the 165 gr factory ammo and they’ve worked great on game. Being non-toxic is a nice plus.

That’s the only bullet I use out of the only hunting rifle I own. It has never once disappointed me. Bullet sized entry, golfball exit, as stated above. Very minimal meat damage.

Used factory Barnes TTSX 140 gr ammo in my 7mm Rem mag this year on a mule deer buck at 180 yards and was very happy with the performance. Deer was below me climbing up a bank. Shot was quartering towards me and the bullet exited near the last rib on opposite side. While skinning I sound one petal, and another piece that looked like two petals that broke off as one piece. Pieces were found under the hide on exit hole side. Exit hole was about the size of a quarter. Lost some meat off the front shoulder where the bullet impacted, but the damage was less than what I've experienced with non - mono bullets. First deer I've shot with mono's. The deer collapsed on the spot and died almost instantly. Will use again next year.

No complaints on TTSX or TSX, they are still the loads for a few safe residents and my boys still load em. I load Hammers in the late comers just because......

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dalton14rocks
Back