Barnes TTSX

I have found most Naysayer of Barnes bullets have not used them or loaded them wrong.
You can't jam them up against the rifling they like a bit of a jump.
AND you gota run them fast. I find the faster the better they shoot and work.
We shoot 90% Barnes in over 20+ different calibers and cartridges we shoot from 17 to 45.

My Kimber MT, .223 Rem shoots 55gr TTSX into tiny little groups at 200yds. We've used them to shoot 3 deer in the last 2 years. 2 of them dropped and never took a step. One ran 40 yds pouring blood. One was shot in the shoulders and dropped without moving at all. The other 2 were shot in the heart/lungs and made a big mess of the boiler room, but not too bad on the meat. All bullets were exits.

From coyotes to moose, with the same rifle/bullet....so far, everything has been one shot kills. Of course, I’ve been lucky with decent placement! For those that are concerned about expansion on smaller game, a 300 +/- yard shot on an Antelope with a high shoulder shot (misjudged distance....I held a little high) was pretty impressive.....considering that many think that a 250 gr. TTSX from a .375 will not expand properly on small game! It worked pretty good on a 280 yard coyote as well! ;) memtb

I have shot the TSX and TTSX on game ranging from 40 lbs. to 2,000 lbs. using appropriate rifle cartridges. The TTSX seems to be more reliable than the TSX for smaller game, but I still like the TSX for cartridges of .375" and larger. I gave had some odd things happen with the Barnes bullets and am really not a big fan of them is cartridges of less than .308. Some of my rifles like them at the rifle range, and some of them definitely do not.

the Only negative for the Barnes that I see as it relates to hunting is the higher minimum velocity for expansion. Other than that they are awesome.

I like the non tipped version for hunting.

I have not had the problems with the TTSX that I experienced with the TSX. I did have some TTSX bullets that had the tip broken off. Some were broken in the box and some broke after they were loaded. I used them on the range and they flew the same as the bullets that still had their tips. The broken tips were all in either 7mm or .308 bullets.

The 130 gr TTSX shoots very well in my Remington 700 Ti 270. I haven’t shot anything with that particular bullet but I am confident that it would work fine as far as I am comfortable shooting that particular rifle (about 400 yards).

My daughter and I have shot a few deer with 62 gr TTSXs in a 223. I shot a bear with a 95 gr TTSX in a 6.8mm SPC. I also shot a moose with a 200 gr LRX out of a 300 RUM. All of these have been one shot kills, with three of the animals dropping in their tracks. I am a fan; however, I cannot attest to the long range lethality as the farthest shot was less than 150 yards.

Edit - I just remembered that I shot a deer with a 127 gr LRX out of a 6.5 CM at around 250 yards. That was another one shot kill.

Last edited:
My longest kill with a TTSX, was an Antelope at 430 yards. My wife’s longest kill with a TTSX was a bear at 380 yards. We’ve both taken elk at 400 with TSX’s. Both performed quite well. We prefer the TTSX’s due to the higher BC’s, as we have a lot of longer shots offered. memtb

If your gun wont shoot Barnes TTSX's or LRX's there is something wrong with your gun or loading technique.
I had issues with 25 caliber TSX's not expanding, but have not had that issue with the tipped version, although some others have. They penetrate really well, but tend not to kill as abruptly as traditional lead and copper bullets do. Not having to worry about lead in my meat makes the trade offs worth it IMO.

If your gun wont shoot Barnes TTSX's or LRX's there is something wrong with your gun or loading technique.
I had issues with 25 caliber TSX's not expanding, but have not had that issue with the tipped version, although some others have. They penetrate really well, but tend not to kill as abruptly as traditional lead and copper bullets do. Not having to worry about lead in my meat makes the trade offs worth it IMO.
I love TTSX & LRX and have loaded most of my rifles for them, but I did have a Tikka 7mm08 that I could not get under 1 MOA with any combination of Barnes 7mm bullets or several different powders - in this odd case, Hammers came to the rescue.

I love TTSX & LRX and have loaded most of my rifles for them, but I did have a Tikka 7mm08 that I could not get under 1 MOA with any combination of Barnes 7mm bullets or several different powders - in this odd case, Hammers came to the rescue.
I usually start off with them seated .050 off the lands per Barnes. However, I have one rifle that only likes them just off the lands. You might try moving them closer to the lands and see if that helps you.

I usually start off with them seated .050 off the lands per Barnes. However, I have one rifle that only likes them just off the lands. You might try moving them closer to the lands and see if that helps you.
Unfortunately the Tikka magazine doesn’t allow much flexibility on seating the far out. But now that the Hammer load works in that rifle, I am moving on to my next project - loading for my new begara premier.280AI

I’m curious about this as well. I just picked up some gmx but haven’t had a chance to mess around with them yet.

Used the 130Gr GMX factory Hornady out of my .270 win this year on a deer and it worked great. Grouped less than 1" as well.

I’m curious about this as well. I just picked up some gmx but haven’t had a chance to mess around with them yet.
I haven’t used, so take with grain of salt, but online discussions seem to heavily favor the TTSX (and slightly favor E-tips) over GMX. But if you rifle likes them I am sure they are fine.

Unfortunately the Tikka magazine doesn’t allow much flexibility on seating the far out. But now that the Hammer load works in that rifle, I am moving on to my next project - loading for my new begara premier.280AI
I havent fooled around with Tikka's, but couldnt you just use a 30-06 magazine given they are all long actions?

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peytb10
Back