Barnes TTSX

Accuracy and performance.

Barnes bullets are the only bullets that I hunt with in my .375 RUM and my .300 Weatherby. I've only used my .375 RUM on two African hunts, one with 300 grain TSX bullets and the other with 270 grain bullets. Both shoot moa performed very well on the animals that I shot with them.

My first few hunts with my .300 Wby were with 168 grain TSX bullets. They also shot moa and performed very well on the animals that I shot with them.

After about 4 years of hunting with the TSX bullets I decided to try 168 grain TTSX bullets in my .300 Wby. Again they shot moa and performed very well on the animals that I shot with them.

Then a couple of years ago I changed to 180 grain TTSX bullets in my .300 Wby. So far I've only used that bullet on a Dagestan Tur and it made an instant one shot kill at 327 yards.

My practice bullet for my .300 Wby is the Hornady 168 grain BTHP Match. It shoots moa in my rifle, and I enjoy ringing the 430 yard gong with those bullets shooting off a bipod in a prone position.

Here is a 100 yard target of 3 consecutive shots from my .300 Wby with the same scope setting. The first shot was with a 168 grain Hornady BTHP Match bullet in the center of the bull, then the two shots above the bull were with Barnes 180 grain TTSX bullets. That's hunting accuracy that I can live with.
uuVgkrP.jpg

912B4AE2-C3C3-41CE-88CF-E035797EDA15.jpeg

My son’s science project this year was testing the power of his .223 vs my .300 WSM. We shot TSX and TTSX bullets through a cinder block to see how far they penetrated. For the most part we were able to recover the bullets with near 100% weight retention. They were pretty smashed up and not the pretty petals like you get pulling them out of an animal, but still very impressive.

I’ll try to load a slow motion video clip. - You have to click on the image below to make the video clip work.

.300 WSM by naathan2, on Flickr

I was surprised but he placed as the alternate for the regional science fair with his project. 7th out of well over 100 kids. I guess guns and Texas still go together somewhat.

319283F9-DB74-49E1-A1B7-7432D41124DE.jpeg

Last edited:
Unfortunately the Tikka magazine doesn’t allow much flexibility on seating the far out. But now that the Hammer load works in that rifle, I am moving on to my next project - loading for my new begara premier.280AI
Get a Tikka mag for a 30/06, you can load longer. But When I load for a Barnes bullet I make them jump at lest .060 or more and push it just as fast as I can. I also drop down ay least 1 step in bullet weight. In my 7mm-08 I use 120gr Barnes TTSX and 130gr or less in my 270 Win.

Get a Tikka mag for a 30/06, you can load longer. But When I load for a Barnes bullet I make them jump at lest .060 or more and push it just as fast as I can. I also drop down ay least 1 step in bullet weight. In my 7mm-08 I use 120gr Barnes TTSX and 130gr or less in my 270 Win.
everything I've ever read says the Barnes TTSX and TSX like healthy jump.

True story. Sometimes I even go more than .060 like to .075. Anyway I have found there bullets to be very accurate.

I pulled the trigger (pun intended) on 200 Barnes 130gr. ttsx for .308 yesterday. just the bullets. I have not been able to find the Barnes vor-tx 130 gr .308 ammo in stock for some time. common sense tells me that yes, that ammo will be available sooner or later and I just need to keep watching online.

but the part of me that watches current events and hates to be un-prepared won out. I'll keep the bullets on the shelf for a buddy to re-load if this craziness drags on too long.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back