Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Barnes TTSX

I think the GMX, E-Tip and TTSX are pretty comparable. However, I have had a much harder time getting the GMX and E-Tips to shoot. Maybe just my luck?

I havent fooled around with Tikka's, but couldnt you just use a 30-06 magazine given they are all long actions?
Interesting thought. I think they have minor modifications and I think the mags are slightly different, but definitely something this check on. I don’t have a Tikka long action mag, but my son I law does I will have him bring one over next time I see him.

Interesting thought. I think they have minor modifications and I think the mags are slightly different, but definitely something this check on. I don’t have a Tikka long action mag, but my son I law does I will have him bring one over next time I see him.
Might have to change or alter the bolt stop as well as the ejector if it doesnt use the plunger type.

I’m curious about this as well. I just picked up some gmx but haven’t had a chance to mess around with them yet.
I've never tried the GMX, maybe that's what he's talking about, but I've had a lot good results with Hornady bullets. For standard cup and core I always go with Interlocks - my wife and I have killed a pile of critters with them and always had good accuracy and performance.

@VikingsGuy if you really want to go nuts on that tikka, mountain tactical in Belgrade, MT makes a really nice bottom metal that takes aics clips. I have kicked around getting one for my 300 mag, it would give me enough mag length to load to the recommended distance off the lands with the 165 ttsx I use.

@VikingsGuy if you really want to go nuts on that tikka, mountain tactical in Belgrade, MT makes a really nice bottom metal that takes aics clips. I have kicked around getting one for my 300 mag, it would give me enough mag length to load to the recommended distance off the lands with the 165 ttsx I use.
Thanks. I did get their standard bottom metal when I switched to B&C stocks (I hate plastic) and they are nice. I don't recall seeing these at that time so must be new.

The TTSX will serve you well. In my 270 I use the 130gr. and I'm getting a little over 3100fps with IMR4350. Have taken some nice animals with it as well.

I was extremely impressed with my 150g TTSX this year on my elk. It was a long shot and hit her very hard. She went about 30 feet laid down and never got back up. I recovered it in the far shoulder exactly how it is supposed to look at 149g.5DA84469-A441-4231-A153-83D9F19D16D3.jpeg

I've been impressed with the performance of Barnes bullets. I've killed a few critters with them now, including one that was at pretty low velocity (not much over 2000fps). I have found them to be a tad tricky to load, though. Rifles just seem to love or hate them. My 7mm-08 wouldn't shoot the 140 ttsx's or the 145 lrx's, but it liked the 140 e-tips.

I used to shoot Nozler partitions,
Now, all I shoot or my hunting partners shoot is tipped TSX in .270, 300 H&H (me)
300 Win , 7mm (my hunting partners) for everything from Sitka Blacktails to Moose.

I reload .270 with 130 gr tipped TSX IMR 4350 and 300 H & H with 180 gr tipped TSX IMR 4831

Bang flopped a WY mule deer and antelope and a couple of local white tails with .270 130 TTSX this year. I shot them out of a Remington 700 Mtn Rifle that has always been really picky about what it will shoot, and was pleasantly surprised by how well they shot.

Things shot with my hand loaded TTSX bullets in the last 15 months (last 2 seasons):

2 pronghorn buck w/ 100gn 25-06Rem
1 pronghorn buck w/ 130gn .270Win
1 elk cow w/ 130gn .270Win
1 zebra w/ 140gn 7mmRemMag
1 zebra w/ 150gn .308Win
1 sable w/ 150gn .308Win
1 kudu w/ 150gn 300WSM
1 reedbuck w/ 150gn 300WSM
1 gemsbuk w/ 150gn 300WSM
1 blesbok w/ 150gn 300WSM
1 gemsbuk w/ 140gn 7mmRemMag
1 impala w/ 140gn 7mmRemMag

Over half were “bag-flops” and the rest one shot kills within 50 yards (with the exception of my son-in-law's zebra - but his was a first shot placement issue on an animal that decided to move at the last second). TTSX is easy to load and kills cleanly - can't imagine going back to lead for modern bolt action centerfire hunting rounds.

(honorable mention to one pronghorn buck shot out of a finicky 7mm08 w/ 134gn Hammer)

Last edited:
Used 165gr TTSX factory ammo this year in my Ruger American .308.

Antelope- 230yds. Broke both legs, through the aorta in between, good exit. Ran 30 yards, laid down and died. Recovered a petal from the leg meat.

Mule deer- 150yds. High lung shot, back away from the shoulder. Bang flop. Slid downhill on the snow towards me. No bullet recovered.

I think I'll keep shooting these for a while.

I have some 168gr ttsx to load for my 300wby for this upcoming, hopeful, elk hunt in WY.

anyone load those for the 300wby and willing to give some advice?

i have some of the IMR4350 powder.

this endeavor will be my first step in reloading so wish me luck.o_O

I have some 168gr ttsx to load for my 300wby for this upcoming, hopeful, elk hunt in WY.

I load the 165 ttsx in my 300 win mag and use 4831 sc. I would say you will be in the same neighborhood. Get the reloading sheet off barnes website, I have found their data quite reliable.

300wby, 4350 would work, but may be a little fast for optimum performance! memtb

Back