Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Banner Year For Grouse

shrapnel

This has been one of the best years I have ever seen for grouse. I have gotten a grand slam of grouse with Spruce, Blue and Ruffed all in the same area in the same day. I have gotten them with shotgun, handgun and bow. What a great year...

DSCN2048.jpg

DSCN2009.jpg

DSCN2012.jpg

DSCN2021.jpg

I am heading to Michigans U.P. this week end to do some grouse hunting. Hope to have the luck like you.
Great !!!

Gotta love small game. Gives a guy reason to use every gun in the safe. Love having a grouse in the sights of the K22. Poor Nash saw that second photo and went into shock wondering what you killed those grouse with, and where was the XXX Grade Walnut and blue steel. I calmed him by telling him you were probably using it for a jack handle when the birds happened along.

Good numbers on prairie grouse....apparently mountain grouse as well. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

Did you kill them from the noise outta that .357?

It seems like I only see grouse when I have a quiver full of broadheads. Add a judo and they dissappear.

It is the best mountain grouse year I recall. While chasing elk last week we arrowed and ate 9 of them. Four ruffies and five blues. If not for my guest being in hot pursuit of elk, we could have filled our stomachs with a lot more of them. Next time we hunt together, we need to have a clarification of the grouse issue before we head out. My policy is that grouse come and go, while elk are in no hurry to go anywhere.

If anyone doubts my fever for shooting grouse, just ask Corey. I suspect my grouse interludes did not help our elk hunting much. But, it is in my DNA and not much I can do about it. I apologized to him on multiple occasions for my instant change in behavior when a grouse made an appearance. His patience was remarkable in the face of elk bugling up the ridge. By the third day, he joined in, taking their heads off with impressive regularity.
20150923_184140.jpg

20150921_201206.jpg

20150924_142813.jpg

Corey claims my grouse issue has reached the point of being a fetish. Not sure about that, but anyone who will not stop to thump a grouse on a stump gets a strange look from me.
20150924_142840.jpg

Seemed that the thicker the grizz sign, the more abundant the grouse. Maybe the bears have sent the bird hunters to other locations.
20150922_072322.jpg

You elk hunters need to invest in one of these:

Travis

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back