Caribou Gear

ballistic apps

The Hornady app has worked well for me, especially 600 yards and in. I also have a Kestrel 5700 with Applied Ballistics, it’s a lot better, but not quite as simple.

Applied ballistics in the kestrel or Sig 2400 ABS. When validating dope i like to compare them against each other for a sanity check and to confirm neither has an errant input.

I tried using my kestrel for corrections while hunting in 2016 and it became immediately evident that I needed a more streamlined approach so it's been rangefinding binos or the sig 2400 ABS since for hunting.

Last edited:
+1 on the Readers, but also what about reading the scope dial in low light?

I found my self shining my phone screen on the dial to get the right MOA when I found the elk in their meadow at dawn. That was a Charley-Foxtrot for sure!

My Range Card is Copied and pasted into Excel then bolded and the font increased.

Last edited:
+1 on the Readers, but also what about reading the scope dial in low light?
It was nice on the Bushnell I sold to @BAKPAKR. The replacement I have has a solid clicks you can count and every mil is clearly marked.

LRHS2_E45184HED_FrontR.jpg

Applied Ballastics. Can't beat their library of bullets, most of which they test themselves, and often times their real world BCs differ significantly from advertised. They usually have a better selection of bullets than other apps, especially from the smaller copper bullet makers. I used to use strelok pro, but AB's data always seemed better.

I am biased because of who I work for... but I have played with lots of the programs and Applied Ballistics is for sure the one I prefer. The simplicity of setting up the balistic profiles in the ap and having your windage and holdover displayed in the rangefinder makes the Sig system ideal for hunting purposes. I have some demo models kicking arround if anyone is interested....

Another vote for Applied Ballistics. I have the loads for my various loads/rifles in my phone and have dope cards on the inside of my caps. I also use the AB when we are shooting long range for the shop and have found it to be right on for me to the 1100 yds we shoot. Bonus is the interoperability with most computing optics.

When I'm hunting, simple is what I want. Things can get interesting even at medium to longer ranges. Shooting for fun I'll mess with the app. mtmuley
I agree, I use the dope card on my stock for hunting too. But for practice, gathering dope, etc... the app is a great tool. Not wasting a bunch of ammo or components with guesswork and just getting practice shooting longer distances really helps to learn your rifle and load. And shooting competition it's priceless. There are too many other variables besides trued dope to have a chance without it

A couple of weeks ago, my friend and I shot at 600 yards with our newish rifles. We decided we wanted to try a little greater distance so, last Saturday, we took two shots each at 748 yards. I had the 3-12 I got from @Greenhorn on my rifle and my friend had a 4-32 on his. I figured my drop from my $10 Shooter app and he calculated his with his Revic BR4. My first shot missed the center by about an inch but his two shots (upper right) were much tighter than mine.

We were each shooting 230 gr Bergers but his were hybrid targets and mine were OTMs. Mine were going a little faster. I am not sure what to make of the difference in splash.

I wear progressive bi-focals, so I have no trouble seeing the tics on the scope or reading my app. I am going to make up a card for my buttstock.

F12CA101-FE2E-4CFE-8E92-CA7007191097.jpeg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back