Caribou Gear Tarp

backup binos

MThuntr

Had a malfunction with my Nikon HGs last week...the eyepieces no longer look at the same location. I guess if you had a serious lazy they'd be ok but dang. Anyway they're going back to Nikon to be fixed but now I'm operating on my backup glass (Zeiss Terras). Am considering getting another pair of truck binos and see a screaming deal on Athlon Cronus 10x42s. The Athlon technician told me they have the same threaded hole up front for tripod mount so that's a big plus. Realistically I should just buy a pair of Meoptas or Zeiss and demote the Nikons to back up when I get them back but I have to have home repairs to pay for with my fun money.

Anyone have thoughts on Athlon Cronus as an additional backup pair (basically permanent truck bions) while I wait for my Nikon repair?

Last edited:
FWIW, I bought a pair in 8.5x42 for the same purpose but ended up returning them. The view was nice, but they were big and surprisingly heavy. Not that it matters much for truck Binos, but not a pair that I would want to carry in a chest rig if/when necessary.

Had a malfunction with my Nikon HGs last week...the eyepieces no longer look at the same location. I guess if you had a serious lazy they'd be ok but dang. Anyway they're going back to Nikon to be fixed but now I'm operating on my backup glass (Zeiss Terras). Am considering getting another pair of truck binos and see a screaming deal on Athlon Cronus 10x42s. The Athlon technician told me they have the same threaded hole up front for tripod mount so that's a big plus. Realistically I should just buy a pair of Meoptas or Zeiss and demote the Nikons to back up when I get them back but I have to have home repairs to pay for with my fun money.

Anyone have thoughts on Athlon Cronus as an additional backup pair (basically permanent truck bions) while I wait for my Nikon repair?
When I had a problem with my 10x42 Steiner Predators in 2005 I bit the bullet and bought some 8.5x42 Swaro EL’s. Steiners have been a great loaner/backup bino. No regrets by the way. Next time I have more money than sense and upgrade my current 2004 ELs will become my back up and I will give my Steiner's to one of my hunting buddies or one of their kids.

I think those HG’s are in the sweet spot for quality/price. You’d probably be disappointed if you bought some Zeiss Conquests or Meostars and expect noticeable improvement.

For sub $500 truck Bino, I still haven’t found anything better than the Theron Questa from Schmalts. The FOV and edge to edge clarity is unmatched.

I think those HG’s are in the sweet spot for quality/price. You’d probably be disappointed if you bought some Zeiss Conquests or Meostars and expect noticeable improvement.

For sub $500 truck Bino, I still haven’t found anything better than the Theron Questa from Schmalts. The FOV and edge to edge clarity is unmatched.
I agree with the questas

Sent you a PM

sent you a PM

Tangential, but I’ve fallen in love with the ‘backup bino’ idea. I have a pair 8x Steiners that I use for small game/whitetail/hiking/vehicle stuff, and then SLCs for hunts that need optics. Minimizes risk

Cronus are good and heavy. I bought them for the eye relief.

I wanted a stocking stuffer for my ten year old son, figured a pair of beater binoculars that he can pack around …Doug at Camera land recommend the Athlon Cronus and he had them on sale. While I don’t think they compare to my alpha glass I buy I do think they are pretty sweet for what I paid for them…and he hasn’t managed to break them yet.
I think for what you described you can’t go wrong with them

thanks for the input...got my freezer good and full using a pair of Theron Wapitis borrowed from Elkaholic. They worked well. Now that my freezer is literally bursting I'm taking the rest of the season "off" and will run with my Zeiss Terras and do some more looking at backup binos. I'm hoping my Nikons have a quick turn around because they are so much lighter than others.

Back