Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Meopta Meostar B1 Plus 10x42 HD First thoughts

peterk1234

These are my first binos that I have purchased that I would categorize as "really good". I have an old pair of porro prism Nikons, 10x42, and some off brand compact 8x32 that is always in my truck, just in case I need something. Well, I should have done this years ago. My Nikons are actually pretty good, I can see everything with those that I can with the Meopta, at least when the sun is high. But the sharpness and depth I am getting from the Meostars are off the charts. I live in a very flat world. Lazy eye since birth, basically only good for peripheral vision. Well, the diopter setting is fantastic. I have more than enough adjustment to almost get that lazy eye into focus. I cannot even begin to explain to you what a big deal that it is for me. That, combined with the incredible clarity/filtering that is going on and I can actually see depth for the first time in my life. At the age of 53 I am also using transition glasses. I always had to take my glasses off when using binos because it was too much trouble to try to get it all to work. So, I decided to give it the college try with the Meostars. No problem. Boy, how nice it will be to hang in a tree looking through my binos and not have to take my glasses off.

Let's talk about clarity at distance. We have a huge radio tower in my town. It is 1800 feet high. I was standing at a field on high ground three miles from the tower (Measured it on google). I could clearly see every small dish on the tower. At 2,000 feet I could read the little numbers that were tacked onto some nearby high tension power poles. I could have read the the details on the danger sign too, if I had a tripod. BTW, now I understand why you guys say that a tripod is a game changer. I will be ordering the mount tonight so I can really take advantage of these binos.

Don't know if you guys ever tried looking through your binos at something close. If not, you should. First off, the focus at 11 feet for the Meostars is legit. I spent 20 minutes watching bumble bees on flowers no more than 12 to 15 feet away. I could see every hair on their bodies, every detail of their wings. Just incredible. Like looking at a live macro photograph.

I could not find any distortion, color fringing, or anything else for that matter. Just beautifully clear and extraordinarily vibrant images. I am going to post again later as I will be heading back out in low light to see how long I can stay out there and actually see something.

Pete

The binos outlasted me tonight. At sunset I hit a trail in the woods. Here is when my old bino started to really show its inferiority. The first thing I noticed is how the Meostars did not lose that great vivid 3D sensation. My old binos started to lose depth pretty quickly. With the Meostars I was still able to see clearly through them way past I would consider legal shooting light. Walking back to the field I spotted the radio tower again. Three miles away and I still could clearly see the small dishes up there. I finally gave up and went home. By the time I got to the house is was quite dark. Decided to just glass around the neighborhood. The Meostar's ability to gather what little light was left was much more than my pupils could capture.

Very, very happy. Ultimately these binos are going to be used when we retire in Montana about a year from now. I am looking forward to the day when I am glassing for animals a mile or more away. The Meostars will easily do the job. I learned a valuable lesson today. Clarity trumps magnification all day long. I read about it but had a hard time comprehending it. I have a spotting scope I use at our rifle range. The Meostars will easily out perform them; easily. Ya, I know.... get a better spotting scope :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back