Backpacking Down Jackets

ida homer

Sorry, kind of long winded, but I'm in the market. I already own a big 3 pound Marmot puffy for late season car camping hunts. I'm looking for something in the 3/4 lb to 1.25 lb range and I do run cold. Always colder than my buddies. It would be my outer layer, layered over my KUIU Kenai synethic.

I ordered the KUIU Super Down Ultra, then I returned it. Not enough fill, not warm enough. Also considered the Ghost Whisperer. 8 ounces jackets always sounds cool on paper. But it feels like a stiff breeze would rip those 2 jackets to shreds. I want something slightly heavier and slightly more sturdy than those.

I then ordered the Mountain Hardwear Supercharger, Stretch Down and Stretch Down DS. I will probably return all 3, although the Supercharger is my leading candidate so far. I wish it was not synthetic around the top. The other 2 did not have enough fill.

I think the new KUIU Super Down PRO would fit my needs, but it's $415 shipped... Am I missing any other brands/models? Thanks.

How about a Kifaru "Lost Park Parka". I personally don't have one so I can't comment on them but if your in the mode of purchase/test/return. Eh, it's a possibility?

What about some of the waterfowl gear from Sitka like the Fahrenheit Jacket?

I wouldn't hike wearing a down parka, I would overheat. Layers are best. However, once you stop and make camp or sit to glass or eat, a down parka is invaluable. Bulky for sure, like another sleeping bag.

NZ 2011 040.JPG

KUIU down is designed to layered, I've got two KUIU down jackets and a vest. I've never been cold because I layer up!

I have the Kifaru “lost park parka” and think it may be what you are looking for. It’s more durable and weather resistant than my older Kuiu spindrift and also has more insulation.

Feathered friends Helios, they often have a sale around labor day I think.

Have a Core 4 Element down jacket that packs into it's small stuff sack. Though I follow along Glass Eye's post. Layers, ftw.
Not the Sitka type price point and very warm.

Credit for tech specs and linky to their site, if interested. (I bought mine from Camofire a few years back). https://www.blackovis.com/core4element-elevation-jacket

• 100% lightweight polyester ripstop shell
  • 700 fill waterproof Downtek down
  • DWR finish
  • Stuff sack for packing
  • 2 hand warmer pockets
  • 1 chest pocket
  • Weight: 1.1 lb

I use a OD puffy from Cabelas. It’s not the greatest sexy Sitka pattern. But I only wear a puffy in camp or glassing. It’s warm. Light. And cheap.

Layering of course fellas, no brainer.

This down jacket would be used almost exclusively for glassing. I may try out that Kifaru Lost Park, I like that its supposed to have a more durable shell. I do wish it was down though. In my experience, NOTHING radiates heat like down. But thanks for the heads up on that one, I might try it next.

Unfortunately that C4L is sold out, for some reason I had thought that they went out of business.

I keep seeing ads pop up for Rab, I'll check them out. Thanks guys.

Bummer. Didn't realize they (C4E) are no mas. Great glass warmer coat however my comparison experience is pretty limited.
Looks like Black Ovis has it in Black 2XL. Not sure if that fits color or size... Though they do seem far and few and may be worth a call first, if interested. $90

Layering of course fellas, no brainer.

This down jacket would be used almost exclusively for glassing. I may try out that Kifaru Lost Park, I like that its supposed to have a more durable shell. I do wish it was down though. In my experience, NOTHING radiates heat like down. But thanks for the heads up on that one, I might try it next.

Unfortunately that C4L is sold out, for some reason I had thought that they went out of business.

I keep seeing ads pop up for Rab, I'll check them out. Thanks guys.

I have my eye on the kifaru and stone glacier puffy layers... I’m going to wait a couple years for them to find and fix any issues. Last season I got a Rab vest, their new DWR is pretty damn tough it’s been my go to insulation layer from August in AK, through ski season.

There are some pretty killer deals at REI right now (at least there were last weekend). This time of year is the time to buy puffies. Head on down to your nearest sporting goods store and check out the clearance rack or wait for the spring winter gear sales. There are typically plenty of backpacking brands that make excellent stuff.

Just checked - the sale on clearance stuff ends today. I picked up an REI puffy for 60 bucks.

Couple ideas in your weight range...Montbell Alpine Light Down Parka, Rab Quantum GL (LIGHT face fabric though), Montbell Frost Smoke. I had an Alpine Light for several years and the zipper finally died, but it didn't owe the world anything; it comes in a nice green too. At about 20 oz. the Frost Line is another step up in warmth at the top end of your weight range...a bit more down and box wall construction. Typing this I am reminded why I love Montbell down products....

Our avatars are too similar...I was thinking "I don't remember writing that", ha. You were first I'll change mine.

If you want to get serious about staying warm. http://featheredfriends.com/khumbu-down-parka.html

These are seriously light (expensive) jackets, well renowned in the ultralight hiking community.

Another good company to checkout is "MyTrailCo" which used to be "GoLite". They have very affordable 800+ down jackets that are good quality. I own 2 GoLite downs that are great. They add a lot of margin to a sleeping bag rating too.

Back