Backpacking Down Jackets

twsnow18

I ordered a Marmot Ama Dablam today, been taking advantage of all the sales and free shipping.

Excited to try it. I own 2 other Marmot pieces, they’ve always performed well for me but they do seem to leak a little down at the seams. Where as I haven’t had that issue with Mountain Hardwear.

Next on my docket will be Rab and Montbell. I’ve never looked into montbell, but I appreciate your guys good reviews.

wyoboypt

I have a montane that’s been awesome. Need to find it on sale though. I got mine for 60$ at Sierra trading post before they were bought by tj max I think. Now they kinda suck

Last edited:

EYJONAS!

32 Degrees North Puffys are damn nice. Costco has them or they have an online store. For less than a quarter of the price. Haven't had a single issue yet.

Trial153

I have a bad habit of buying puffy jackets, I bet I have averaged more then one a year for the last 10 years. My current favorite in Down is Filson’s Downfeather weight hoody, 850 fill down and super warm, very durable fabric with a slight weight penalty compared to similar high quality down. For perspective I have owned down from OR,Patagonia, Borah, Marromnt, Montbell, Featherfriends, Sitka, Kuiu...and a few more .
In synthetics I am not as picky, I am using a Kevlin Lite and Kifaru lost parka .

Backofbeyond

+1 for the Kifaru Lost Park. Mine has a permanent spot in my pack, even for summer backpack trips. Very durable where it needs to be, plus the insulation is a full sheet, so no cold seams you get with down.

406LIFE

Since someone mentioned a duck hunting jacket I will tell you that the Sitka Duck Oven is seriously warm, and windproof, and very comfortable. Many Subzero Duck hunts this year and it was great. It is 31oz, so not quite light to your specs, and it is bulky. But I love it.

I'm not entirely sure of the weight, but I have an Arctic Shield parka that does the trick. It rolls up and compacts into my Metcalf pretty well. And it keeps the cold and wind out. Not as expensive as a lot of the clothing "systems" out there these days.

TexAg09

Check out Eddie Bauer. I need tall sizes, so that's how I got turned on to them. So far I feel like all their stuff has served me well. They have various fill weights available.

bcar

Check out Eddie Bauer. I need tall sizes, so that's how I got turned on to them. So far I feel like all their stuff has served me well. They have various fill weights available.
+1 for EB. Their heaviest/warmest is probably the Downlight Storm Down jacket. DWR treated 800fp, weighs just over 1#, lifetime warranty and on sale for $140 right now. I'm not sure how many ounces of fill it has, but you can email customer service and they might answer the question correctly if you're very specific about how you ask it. Their ultra light model (micro therm 2.0) has 3.6oz of 800fp and is a lot less 'puffy' than the stormdown model.

lonedave

+1 for EB. Their heaviest/warmest is probably the Downlight Storm Down jacket. DWR treated 800fp, weighs just over 1#, lifetime warranty and on sale for $140 right now. I'm not sure how many ounces of fill it has, but you can email customer service and they might answer the question correctly if you're very specific about how you ask it. Their ultra light model (micro therm 2.0) has 3.6oz of 800fp and is a lot less 'puffy' than the stormdown model.
+2 for their Downlight Stormdown. I have two and just noticed they now have a stuffable pocket that they have been missing in the past. It's the one thing that I really would have liked to have on mine. With the current sale, I may have to buy another just for that!