Caribou Gear

Backpack advise

Diaz

I'm looking into replacing my Badlands 4500. It has been an ok pack but just not the right one for me. I live in UT and chase mule deer and elk in the back-country on foot most years. So my stays in the woods are between 2-5 days. That said, I am considering one of the following: EberleStock Just One (J34), Mystery Ranch Crew Cab, or the Kifaru product.

Weight is an issue but I guess if your thinking of hauling elk quarters the pack needs to be able to handle and therefore the pack dry weight is going to be in the 7-10 lbs......

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the help!

They are all good products, and you'll get a lot of push towards MRCC on here. If you want a J34 though I have a used one for sale with some of the extra fixings if your interested.

This site is most definitely Mystery Ranch country--I don't own one (I'm a badlands guy myself), but I can tell you there will be few replies that won't tell you to go with the crew cab. :W:

CabinFever,

Thanks for the reply. send me a PM with what you are looking to get on yours.

Are there any Outdoorsmans Backpack fans around? I've had one that I won sitting in my garage for a year and a half now but never used it. Still happy with my J34 for now. Hate to use the Outdoorsmans pack and put some wear on it and then decide I want to sell it at a big discount vs. right now it is sitting there with the tags still on it. Just don't hear many people talk abou them.

I figured MR would be the go to here. But you know, there are few places to ask about this topic that you will receive input from guys that are out there OYO....the hard way.

I've heard some good things about the Outdoorsman product but have not had any time with one on the trail not have I been able to try one on. Does Cabelas or Sportsman carry them?

Mixebag,

That's what I'm hearing about the blue widow....guys really happy with the pack.

You know....the thing that missing, at least in UT, is a sporting goods or outdoors store that have people who can fit you for a pack. If any of you guys have ever had a pack that is not set up right for your torso and you get out and hike a couple mile in it...well, you'll fell pretty beat up at the end of the day.

I have gone to sportsmans and cabelas and no one really seems to know the packs well nor how to properly fit you. I find myself stuck having to ask a buddy to help out with the fitting. Now you have two guys that are not skilled at it trying to make it work. This has me all nutted up over ordering a $500 pack online and then trying to have it fit well.....

your exactly right even here in wyoming we've got nothing Ive orderd 3 packs in the last year just trying to find a good day pack that fits a taller/bigger guy and ended up selling them all just got a badlands 2200 the other day and I can say this is the bset fitting one yet so i hope it works and I can quit loosing money on packs ( if your looking for an x2 mines in the classifieds lol)

2 years ago I bought a Horn Hunter Mainbeam pack for elk hunting. My opinion this is a great light weight full backpack but built very well for rugged use. I personnaly have had 90 - 100lbs on this pack two different occassions and it has performed very well. This pack will not set you back the major $'s either. I think I shopped around online and found mine for $129.

gman...I think we're on to something here! Business opportunity in the pack fitting sector..LOL.

elkoholic, thanks for that post, I will check the Horn Hunter out. Do you know if they carry it at Sportsmans? Cabelas?

I highly suggest that you check out the warhammer by eberlestock if you are looking at the "just one". I think it is a little more versatile.

You know....the thing that missing, at least in UT, is a sporting goods or outdoors store that have people who can fit you for a pack. If any of you guys have ever had a pack that is not set up right for your torso and you get out and hike a couple mile in it...well, you'll fell pretty beat up at the end of the day.

I have gone to sportsmans and cabelas and no one really seems to know the packs well nor how to properly fit you. I find myself stuck having to ask a buddy to help out with the fitting. Now you have two guys that are not skilled at it trying to make it work. This has me all nutted up over ordering a $500 pack online and then trying to have it fit well.....
I've gotten nothing but lame service at those two stores in the SLC area. However, I did have a guy spend 45mins with me fitting a pack years ago at the REI on 3300 East. I'd suggest trying there as IME the employees there use a pack way more than any of the employees I've dealt with at either Cabelas or Sportsmans.

If I were you I'd look to more of the climbing type stores for good pack info. Like I mentioned, I had good service at REI, but would also consider backcountry.com's store (2607 South 3200 West, SLC) and or black diamonds retail outlet. There's a guy up in Tremonton that sells some pretty high end stuff out of a small shop/his house that posts quite a bit on the backpack hunting portion of a different website. I can't remember his name or store name, but if I do I will pass it along. He's big into goat packing.

Diaz - That's why you go with Kifaru, built to your measurements. You see very few Kifaru packs coming up for sale and even fewer users switching brands. Seems like each year there is a new brand or new model that is touted as the best pack made, then you see tons of them up for sale before the next season and the cycle starts all over again. Do it right and do it once. Buy the Kifaru.

1 pointer....thanks for that. I thought of buying a pack and going into REI and asking them to pay one of the folks there to fit this freaking thing.

sagebrush, I hear you bro! These guys seem to make some awesome products are you are right on the money, few if any of their packs are found for sale on the used general market place.... Do you have one?

I have to say i loved my badlands pack until i picked up a KUIU Icon best pack i have ever had. its light and is great as a day pack or a large pack to backpack into the back country i have the Icon 6000 and love it. check them out www.kuiu.com
just my 2 cents

Yeah I have one that is 11 years old. My wife had to have one when she saw mine and hers is 10 years old. They have carried everything from antelope to elk. Used them in the desert and in Alaska and everything in between. We have the gunbearer, cargo seat and rain fly. All great accessories that I call must haves. Once you use that gunbearer, you will never want to be without it. We don't even have a sling on any of our rifles anymore, its that convenient. I tried using the gunbearer with my bow and while it works just fine, my bow string rubbed against the waist belt and caused premature wear. We use the Spike Camp for a day pack as we are not into backpack hunting for extended stays. The Longhunter is the one for your style of hunting.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisb970
Back