Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Backpack advise

Diaz - Yes Cabelas carrys the Horn Hunter Mainbeam pack, you can read great reviews of the pack on Cabelas website as well. Although, I saved about $30 buying elsewhere. Good luck.

mhungerford,

I had heard the name KUIU but for some reason did not look into it. I did not realize that this was Jason Hariston's (former Sitka originator) new venture. They have some pretty cool stuff. There line of products has me thinking......I'm a big sitka fan, or at least of the clothing. not their packs. Don't get me wrong, the pack as sweet looking and functional, but I'm not sure they will hold up to what I put my current pack (badlands 4500) through.

I've got a Eberlestock Blue Widow that will be hitting the classified if your interested. I've used it on a couple of hunts and just can't get the fit to work for me.

mhungerford,

I had heard the name KUIU but for some reason did not look into it. I did not realize that this was Jason Hariston's (former Sitka originator) new venture. They have some pretty cool stuff. There line of products has me thinking......I'm a big sitka fan, or at least of the clothing. not their packs. Don't get me wrong, the pack as sweet looking and functional, but I'm not sure they will hold up to what I put my current pack (badlands 4500) through.

mhungerford's positive review of the Kuiu pack might be the first I've heard.

It's all been second hand (so take it for what it's worth), but most of what I've heard and read is that their clothing is top notch, but the backpacks missed big time.

mhungerford's positive review of the Kuiu pack might be the first I've heard.

I have nothing but great things to say about the icon 6000 from kuiu. We packed 2 boned out fronts and the extra meat and headof a bull last year in it and it has to be one of the most comfortable packs I have ever worn. I had over 100lbs in it and was doing great love the light carbon fiber frame and the pack itself is great could not ask for anything better.

I have nothing but great things to say about the icon 6000 from kuiu. We packed 2 boned out fronts and the extra meat and headof a bull last year in it and it has to be one of the most comfortable packs I have ever worn. I had over 100lbs in it and was doing great love the light carbon fiber frame and the pack itself is great could not ask for anything better.

The 2011 packs and frames have been discontinued and the new 2012 packs and frames are on the website. It looks like they made some improvements based on feedback from users. They look nice but I'll be sticking with my Mystery Ranch. I'm looking forward to seeing some reviews of the new KUIU packs though. I have quite a bit of the clothing and love it.

1 pointer....thanks for that. I thought of buying a pack and going into REI and asking them to pay one of the folks there to fit this freaking thing.

sagebrush, I hear you bro! These guys seem to make some awesome products are you are right on the money, few if any of their packs are found for sale on the used general market place.... Do you have one?
I too have a Kifaru pack and have nothing really bad to say about it. IMO, it was worth the money I paid 8yrs ago. Though I haven't owned one, but have hunted with folks who've had Mystery Ranch packs and I like what I've seen. I don't see myself buying a pack except from one of these two companies.

I wouldn't be surprised if they wouldn't help you out. I had nothing but good service from the folks at REI. Though they are specific to Kifaru packs, here's a link to the fitting instructions:
http://www.kifaru.net/lhfit.htm
I would be surprised if those don't work for most internal frame backpacks. Fitting one isn't rocket science and there are lots of other links/documents on the web showing how to fit a pack. Main thing is to load it up and try it out and find out what works for you.

It's all been second hand (so take it for what it's worth), but most of what I've heard and read is that their clothing is top notch, but the backpacks missed big time.

Sorry Randy, I was in agreement with you. I have never put one on my back, but reviews I have read are similar to your info. Obviously not everyone's experience.

Sorry Randy, I was in agreement with you. I have never put one on my back, but reviews I have read are similar to your info. Obviously not everyone's experience.

I've tried one on at a show with about 40 pounds and while it was comfortable enough the "pivoting" frame felt like it would be a disaster with too much weight. I talked to a few sheep guides who've had lots of clients show up with them, and eventually started telling people to leave them at home cuz they only caused problems. Said they'd never had so many guys falling over under 60lbs.

Thanks for all the great advise guys! I have to say that I'm on the fence on the following brands: Eberlestock, Mystery Ranch, and Kafiru.

To some degree I'm back where I started.....I think I'm going to take a drive up to MT and drop in on the MF folks and try on some gear.

I am on a budget and the Blue Widow works for me and the kind of hunting I do. If I spent more time out west and had a bigger budget I would be looking at the Kifaru's and MR's at lot harder.

I have had great success with my Mystery Ranch Crew Cab! It can carry your gear for a 10 day hunt, to a treestand, to a moose quarter, to a kid! Oh, it can be used as a day pack as well! I have not found a more versatile, durable, bomber and comfortable pack that compares to the Mystery Ranch Crew Cab.

I have had great success with my Mystery Ranch Crew Cab! It can carry your gear for a 10 day hunt, to a treestand, to a moose quarter, to a kid! Oh, it can be used as a day pack as well! I have not found a more versatile, durable, bomber and comfortable pack that compares to the Mystery Ranch Crew Cab.

How many moose quarters you packed, or 10 day trips? It doesn't excel in either duties IMO.

Here is how I would break it down IMO:

Eberlestock-Well built pack that will be hard to break, but very tough to achieve actual shoulder lift. They weigh a lot too straight out of the box, but that comes with the military mindset. My hunting partner owns the Just One I believe and loves it, but he has never tried on something better, until this year. Little lower on the price point than a MR or a Kifaru.

KUIU- I love their clothing but the general consensus on their packs was that they weren't that great for load hauling. The carbon fiber frames provided way too much flex, and with the redesign there were a lot of people upset that their 2011 frames won't be what they are able to use anymore. If I am in your shoes I would wait a while to buy any pack from them, although some of the reviews are saying that they seem to have gotten the issues worked out. On this I don't have any experience, just repeating what I have read.

Badlands-Stinks on ice. A few years back Oak told me that he had never had to use the warranty on his MR, my 2800 died 3 times. They were great about fixing it, but when packing an elk quarter its not much fun to hear ripping noises. The 4500's stays leave much to be desired as well as just about every other one of their packs. The OX frame makes a huge mistake in that it throws the weight way out behind you forcing you to bend over to keep in balanced. 2 of my buddies use these and its funny to hear them complain about their backs.

MR- Great Quality pack, and the Nice Frame concept is awesome. To have that many bags available for one frame is great. I haven't heard of anyone breaking one of them, and have NEVER heard of poor customer service. You can have a high quality pack on your doorstep in days with them as well. MR also does a very good job with organization and pockets. I really like the Daypack Lid, in fact I am probably going to be looking for a second one. If something doesn't fit right it's a fairly easy process to exchange it for the correct size.

There are two areas that I see as weakness, and some are personal due to body type. If you want to achieve shoulder lift with the Nice frame and you are over 6', its pretty tough. To do that you have to be using one of the Expedition labeled pack bags, such as the 6500. The Crew Cab rules the roost around here, but I could never use that for load hauling as all of the weight will be on my shoulders at 6'5" and how it throws the weight way behind you rather than up. Same goes for the Longbow, or any MR pack that doesn't have the additional load lifters. If I'm a tall guy, such as I am buying a MR, well it would be the 6500, and cinch it down as far as possible for day use. This gives me shoulder lift and load hauling capabilities.

The other weakness is if you have a fairly curved back the NICE frame isn't going to fit you as well because the frame is designed flat with padding across it's entirety. The padding will ease some comfort, but for me a guy who sweats a lot, it's uncomfortable.

Kifaru- High quality pack with many options and endless customization if you desire. Customer service is top notch in my experience, but there are a few vocal posters in some forums who claim otherwise. I can only speak to my experience in that regard. I bought something used that needed a strap added, no questions asked Kevin took care of it.

The Duplex frame is great, and it contours my back very well. The two separated pads do an excellent job of breathing and therefore cutting down on the huge sweat spot on my back. All of the Kifaru packs have this as well as curvable aluminum stays. The composite stays cannot be molded to your back and come preformed.

The Longhunter is a great pack if you are weight conscious but want to be able to get a lot of weight out. It doesn't have much for pockets, so I added the MR Daypack lid to get somewhere in the middle. Pockets can be added, but that is sometimes a pain. The pullout concept has it's benefit, but in my mind it adds some weight, and most small items come with their own stuff sacks anyway, why double up?

The Timberline Series seems to be a decent middle ground, including the Duplex Timberline System. I haven't worn one yet, but will likely be buying the DT3 in the next year or so.

Couple of other weaknesses are that it takes six weeks to get your pack, and Kifaru is experiencing some growing pains as well. The Timberline and UL series both took off, and they are now having to train more people to get their stuff done on time. Another weakness is that until recently there were some pockets that didn't necessarily fit on all packs.

The Duplex has about as many bag options as the NICE Frame, but gives me, at my tall height shoulder lift.

This was my determining factor after fiddling around with Badlands, Black's Creek, Eberele, etc for years.

I ended up with the Duplex frame, and have the Longhunter Standard on the way as well as the Guide model. I put the MR lid on it to help with organization and have a backpouch to put on if necessary. I also own the Cargo Panel strictly for meat hauling as well.

All in all, if you find a MR or Kifaru that fits you well and meets your needs, you won't have any issues. In my mind, shy of a custom built pack by McHale, this is about the best you can do. Sorry for the long winded stuff, just all of my thoughts on this subject.

Nice summary sreekers. Like I said, do yourself a favor and get a Kifaru first and save yourself the money, time and anguish of trying all others. Unless of course you like shopping for packs and trying them all out, then a Kifaru will take all the fun out of it for you. www.kifaru.net

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brutus56
Back