Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

AZ Late Bull-- 2013

Biscuit Hunter

Well, it's taken me a bit to get this story posted, but it seems like a good time of year to tell a story. A little break from all of the arguments that inevitably pop up around this time of year. Also, it can serve as a reminder that AZ is now accepting apps for 2014...

I'm definitely a newbie to elk hunting. I got cow tags for my son and in 2012 for a limited opportunity hunt, "burning" what few points we had in the process. We just wanted to hunt, and hunt we did... We saw plenty of old sign, and even though we failed to get eyes on an actual live animal, we had a great time in the woods.

elk2012.jpg

When it came time to apply for 2013, my hopes of drawing a tag were not all that high, as all we had were our hunters' ed points, but low and behold, I drew my first choice of a late bull hunt. It's good to be lucky...

We scouted some country, and were treated to some great AZ sunsets.

scouting sunset.jpg

When it finally came time for the hunt, we packed the truck and headed out.

truck camp.jpg

Home sweet home.

home.jpg

My hunt opened the day after Thanksgiving, so we decided to have turkey day in the woods. Instead of trying to cook a big bird over a fire, we had Cornish Game Hens roasted in a dutch oven.

hens.jpg

It worked out really well, and we had a great meal.

tday diner.jpg

As a little aside, these "ove gloves" are great for those of you that like to cook over a campfire. Whether it's foil wrapped potatoes thrown in the coals, or a can of raviolis or chili, you can reach right into the fire without burning the back of your hand...

ove glove.jpg

On to the hunt...

Opening day and the morning of day two were a bust. We saw bulls, but my inexperience, and competition from other hunters ruined our opportunities. So I decided to change things up, and relocate for the Saturday evening hunt.

We found an area that looked "elky," and began to still hunt our way up a small drainage. About a mile later, I caught sight of some cows feeding up ahead of us. We dogged along with them, trying to find a bull, when the wind shifted and they busted us and ran off into some thick oak cover. I decided that we should back out, and try to relocate them the next morning. We began to hike out, when we heard quite a commotion behind us. We had really stirred things up.

We climbed up onto the side of a small knoll to see what all of the fuss was about, and got quite the treat. A herd of about 100 elk began to cruise up the hillside across from us, heading out of dodge. I glassed over them, pretty lazily, thinking they were all cows, when I caught sight of a mature bull. I dropped my pack, sat down and got my rifle set up on my sticks, struggling to reacquire him. He was nose up, and moving with purpose. I managed to get the crosshairs on him right as he moved into cover. I shifted position a little to try to get a better angle, but couldn't pick him out. I scanned over the hillside again, and with my scope cranked to nine, saw a small bull, head down and feeding.

Before the hunt, I had told myself that I would be lucky to even see a bull, and that I should just shoot the first bull I saw...but...I had JUST seen a really nice one, so I hesitated. I told my son what was happening, that I had lost the big guy, but that I was on a smaller bull. I asked-- should I take him? With no hesitation, I heard-- Take Him.

So I settled in and set a 180 accubond on its way.

A few minutes later, here is how he lay:

as he lay.jpg

Me and my first elk:

banner.jpg

The sun was down, and we had cutting to do.

getting dark.jpg

We got him cut and loaded by the light of our headlamps.

loaded.jpg

Here are some pack pics for all of you MR boys.I'd love to try out one of their packs, but I have yet to be able to wear out my old Dana.

dana.jpg

dana2.jpg

We got most of him out that night, with only one more trip needed the next day. I'm glad that I've been feeding my kid all of these years, as having him along to help was AWESOME.

eli pack.jpg
In the end, I count myself incredibly lucky to have put this guy in the freezer. It was a great hunt, and I'm crossing my fingers for another tag this year.

Good luck to all in the draw.

Congrats! Don't worry about the bigger one you saw. You can't eat antlers and you had another chance at a bull. NOW you can try for bigger.

Way to get it done. That Dana guy apparently knows how to make a pack. Head turned out great.

What a great time for you and your boy. I'd join your camp in a heartbeat to partake in a dinner like that. Congrats!

GREAT STORY! Smart thinking taking the sure thing, and you had your son there. Perhaps the best writeup I have seen and a perfect amount of pictures!
Cheers

Good job getting that first one on the ground! And your T-day dinner looks awesome! I've spent a couple turkey days eating Dinty Moore beef stew in a tent while it snowed on me and didn't get an elk on the ground. Smart move shooting the younger one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back