Award for Worst Game Reg in the US

• Thread starter Deleted member 28227
  • Start date
Oh yeah... I see your bears and raise you some yotes...

So I can hunt coyotes at night... but not with lights or with a .45 pistol... and only until midnight?
Up until recently MO & KS had the same night regs regarding artificial light, unless you had a permit from an warden for use on your property. The rest of that is some pretty strange stuff.

Up until recently MO & KS had the same night regs regarding artificial light, unless you had a permit from an warden for use on your property. The rest of that is some pretty strange stuff.
Yeah I feel like Wardens: Tales of the Masshole would be... interesting...
1607545400819.png

You have to show location on a map of where you harvested your animal. You can still print your tag, but my guess is thats going away. They are pushing for web based data. I understand the need for more real-time info but its not realistic.

It's not so much about real-time info (map location is not required) as it is trying to offer high-tech/convenient ways to keep up with the times and attract new hunters and fishermen to the field. This is where they're misguided, because I hunt and fish so I can avoid keeping up with the times. Again, you are supposed to be able to validate your tag without cell service if you are already logged in to your account. I wouldn't know because I have no desire to try it.

From your comments, I assume you are using e-tagging. I'm curious why you chose it. I took one look and realized I wanted nothing to do with a system that required a functioning cell phone to be legal in the woods. Paper tags for me and my family!

QQ

This was the law in OH when I was growing up. Not sure if that’s still the case or not. We also had metal bands for deer tags that I much prefer over the paper ones.

They stopped the license on the back thing several years ago, as well as the metal tag. Now it is call in or online reporting system and you write the confirmation number on your paper tag.

Up until Ohio did the online or call in reporting, you also had to bring the whole carcass out and take to a check station. This prevented me from hunting a lot of the public because there is no way you would have drug one out of some of the hollers on public I always wanted to hunt. I called the warden this year to verify that I could check it, get my confirmation number, and haul out on my back. He said as long as I had the number, that was fine. Opens up a lot of area.

Up until Ohio did the online or call in reporting, you also had to bring the whole carcass out and take to a check station. This prevented me from hunting a lot of the public because there is no way you would have drug one out of some of the hollers on public I always wanted to hunt. I called the warden this year to verify that I could check it, get my confirmation number, and haul out on my back. He said as long as I had the number, that was fine. Opens up a lot of area.
Exactly.

Ya the turkey sticker is brutal, but we are not done yet with Massachusetts. Lett's talk calibers when hunting coyote. Enjoy:

Rifles and handguns:

• Daytime hunting: During the period from ½ hour before sunrise to ½ hour after sunset, there are no restrictions on size or caliber of rifles or handguns.
  • Nighttime hunting: During the period from ½ hour after sunset to midnight rifles are restricted to those chambered not larger than .22 long rifle and handguns are restricted to those chambered not larger than .38 caliber.
  • Prohibited on Wildlife Management Areas stocked with pheasant or quail, during the pheasant and quail seasons.
  • Prohibited during the shotgun deer season.

Man this State sucks.

I always enjoyed the check in part (although I agree that being required to drag it out whole was a pain). Gun season was only one week, and folks would hang out at the check stations to see what big bucks were being brought in and socialize. I remember taking my first deer, a spike buck, into the check station and all the old guys making such a big deal about it and congratulating me. It was a cool day that I’ll never forget.

Wisconsin- you can quarter a deer in the field, but everything except the guts must be brought out. It defeats the purpose in almost all situations.

Ya the turkey sticker is brutal, but we are not done yet with Massachusetts. Lett's talk calibers when hunting coyote. Enjoy:

Rifles and handguns:

• Daytime hunting: During the period from ½ hour before sunrise to ½ hour after sunset, there are no restrictions on size or caliber of rifles or handguns.
  • Nighttime hunting: During the period from ½ hour after sunset to midnight rifles are restricted to those chambered not larger than .22 long rifle and handguns are restricted to those chambered not larger than .38 caliber.
  • Prohibited on Wildlife Management Areas stocked with pheasant or quail, during the pheasant and quail seasons.
  • Prohibited during the shotgun deer season.

Man this State sucks.
If you don't like those laws, you can always try to navigate the MA trapping laws for coyote. I hear it's real easy to get a coyote to walk into a live cage trap.

I always enjoyed the check in part (although I agree that being required to drag it out whole was a pain). Gun season was only one week, and folks would hang out at the check stations to see what big bucks were being brought in and socialize. I remember taking my first deer, a spike buck, into the check station and all the old guys making such a big deal about it and congratulating me. It was a cool day that I’ll never forget.
Yes, that part of the check station was very cool!

Dumb = things that do nothing, orange would have likely reduced accidents... also isn't this the whole reason you can't use buck shot, #2s etc on turkey's. Isn't the idea that #5s have a greatly reduced chance of being lethal on humans at hunting ranges?
Lethality maybe, but I have a good friend who is permanently disabled and blind in one eye from being shot during turkey season with 6’s. Missouri used to include it with your tag when the tag was a sticker, at least you didn’t have to send off for it. Now with online tags it’s discontinued.

Lethality maybe, but I have a good friend who is permanently disabled and blind in one eye from being shot during turkey season with 6’s. Missouri used to include it with your tag when the tag was a sticker, at least you didn’t have to send off for it. Now with online tags it’s discontinued.
Sorry to hear about your friend, I've approached the topic with some jocularity but I can definitely see it being a serious and life changing problem.

This specific rule just seems like piss poor way to deal with a problem.

I hunted a unit in MT. Three access points by road and most access from the south. After a few snows there is one open road which happens to lead to the west. That road dips into WY, though. If I had been successful, I had no way to check in my harvest as is mandatory in person at a regional game office without also exiting MT on the way to F&G which is forbidden by statute. Luckily, I am a crappy hunter so no violation occurred.

Oregon new paperless cell phone reporting of animal taken. There is no cell service in many areas of hunting units. So you have no way to tag animal until you get back into service. You may not even have service for a few miles driving.

They had a perfectly good system.
In my experience, the Oregon cell phone reporting and license/tagging is wonderful. Granted, my profession is in tech, so I'm more comfortable with it than most.

I've had no more wondering if I have my tag, I always have my cell phone with me. You can tag animals when out of service, get a confirmation number, and write it on paper or ribbon attached to the carcass. It'll then sync automatically when you get back into service. Also being able to buy tags/licenses from a cell phone has proven to be super handy for buddies who've forgotten to do so before heading out, and with no options otherwise at 5AM.

To each their own, they did keep the option to do non electronic tagging, but I greatly prefer it.

A bad reg in my experience, in Oregon you can't hunt with a rifle for bear or mountain lion during certain controlled deer or elk hunts. It's super confusing, and if someone's going to break the law, this isn't going to stop them.

It's not so much about real-time info (map location is not required) as it is trying to offer high-tech/convenient ways to keep up with the times and attract new hunters and fishermen to the field. This is where they're misguided, because I hunt and fish so I can avoid keeping up with the times. Again, you are supposed to be able to validate your tag without cell service if you are already logged in to your account. I wouldn't know because I have no desire to try it.

From your comments, I assume you are using e-tagging. I'm curious why you chose it. I took one look and realized I wanted nothing to do with a system that required a functioning cell phone to be legal in the woods. Paper tags for me and my family!

QQ
Oh no I am paper tagging only. Last freaking thing I deal with is my phone. But for how long.

In my experience, the Oregon cell phone reporting and license/tagging is wonderful. Granted, my profession is in tech, so I'm more comfortable with it than most.

I've had no more wondering if I have my tag, I always have my cell phone with me. You can tag animals when out of service, get a confirmation number, and write it on paper or ribbon attached to the carcass. It'll then sync automatically when you get back into service. Also being able to buy tags/licenses from a cell phone has proven to be super handy for buddies who've forgotten to do so before heading out, and with no options otherwise at 5AM.

To each their own, they did keep the option to do non electronic tagging, but I greatly prefer it.

A bad reg in my experience, in Oregon you can't hunt with a rifle for bear or mountain lion during certain controlled deer or elk hunts. It's super confusing, and if someone's going to break the law, this isn't going to stop them.
I agree to each is his own. I don't carry a cell phone when hunting. It is on my body every other day of the year, but I not going to take it hunting. If does me no good if I dont have service anyways.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbonser94
Back