Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Avg # of points to draw as NR ELK?

jimmyk

Just curious how many points it has taken any NR to draw for AZ Archery Elk. If you were lucky enough to have drawn in the past, what unit did you put in for? I currently have 7 and am debating whether to try my luck next year or maybe take my chances in MT or NM. Thanks!!

Yes, I realize that. That's what I am trying to look at, see what chances I have for different units. If that makes sense......My understanding or atleast what I have read is that units, 1, 2, 10, 27 are the most desired units and may take up to 13 or so points.

The info is posted at links on this page You're looking for a stock answer but there really isn't one to give. Some NRs draw with 0 points, in less popular areas, where it's the luck of the draw in the lottery. In the most desirable units, NRs who don't have the max point total have virtually 0% chance to draw because the 10% NR allotment is filled in the max bonus point pass. With 7 BP, you would likely make the bonus point pass in many of the opportunity units. Hope that helps - if you want to hunt elk in AZ with a bow, you look to have enough points to assure yourself of a tag if you choose a hunt where you'll be max points.

To draw the units you mentioned, by the time you catch up with point creep it will probably take 15 or more.
Keep in mind that in AZ, even the less popular units can produce monster bulls.
You can draw a very good unit at 9-11 points, and a decent unit for 7-8.

Listen to A-con & DDD......and buy the statistical book from AZ G&F and study it. There are several units that can be drawn more consistently than others while offering a realistic chance at bulls up to the 340" range. I've drawn 4 non-resident archery bull elk tags in the last 20 years, so I'm living proof it can be done.

One other thing to keep in mind......you can increase your wait time between drawn tags by earning a loyalty point and lifetime bonus point (hunter education class). Those two extra points will definitely increase your wait time for the less popular trophy units. Remember, you do not lose your loyalty point even if you draw a tag. Of course, you must put in for five consecutive years to first earn the loyalty point. Good luck on your research and the draw.

I'm not positive, but I think the statistical book that BOHNTR is referring to is the annual Hunt Arizona publication. If you like looking at numbers you'll be in heaven. You can download them for free here:

http://www.azgfd.gov/h_f/hunt_arizona.shtml

They run a year or so behind, so right now 2012 is the most recent one available. The 2013 book should be coming out soon.

DDD, thanks for the input. I'm not looking for the new state record, but just an opportunity at a 340ish class bull. When I lived in AZ (still regret moving :() I was muley hunting near Prescott and encountered a small herd and saw one that fit the above description there, well, he would have been but had broken an antler during the rut. .

A-con, unfortunately you are probably correct about point creep. I'm probably going to look at 5BS or a unit close to that, as I still have some friends in AZ who know that area well. With my military obligations and schedule, I'm not certain how much time I would have to scout prior to opening day, but should be able to get 3 days or so before starting to hunt, although that isn't my preferred method of scouting.

Thanks to all for the input. I will review the statistics, if I can muster up the courage to look at all the numbers.

My opinion - which could easily be ignored seeing as how my lone tagged "bull" is in my avatar - is that you can have a decent opportunity at a 340 bull in just about any AZ elk unit. I'm sure 5BS is no exception, though I don't think it's as quality as it was several years back.

This year probably won't be great for antler growth, but next year might be another story. Both 2012 and 2013 were good ones. With Arizona's recent approach to making NRs pay for the license just to buy a point, it doesn't pay to bank enough points just to lose narrowly to point creep unless you're in for the long haul on a primo early rifle or muzzy tag.

It could be worse - you could be me, counting on the idea that AZ decides to cash in my whopping 3 BP for archery elk this year.;)

HA! A guy I worked with while living in AZ got drawn the first time he applied and killed a 320" bull the first time bowhunting. Talk about beginer's luck!

Are you suspecting it is going to be a dry spring/summer in AZ? I'm assuming this is what you are basing antler growth on.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back