Average Joe's 2018

I'll be curious to see what he looks like this year. I have faith you'll at least get him on trail cam.

He looks like he might be on the edge of regressing antler wise. Look at that mass!

I’m kind of thinking you’re right and he was right on the edge. We may see a slight decline this year, but he’s carried this insane mass for a few years now and it should only get better. If he starts to “junk up” on the decline that could be a super cool buck.

Cameras will be out extra early this year so maybe I’ll catch some velvet pics!

Earlier this month I had two work trips in Texas. One in Austin and one in Wichita Falls. That gave me the weekend off in between conferences, so I did what any normal person would do....

I drove out 8 hours to my NM elk unit, hiked 16 miles, hunt some cameras and scouted!

d05abef28d663ff02b3dd80381f46beb.jpg

They looked at me kind of funny when I had game cameras in my carry on lol

f4147c35d0893bc20708474cf011f6ef.jpg

The unit in hunting this year is beyond dry. The worst I’ve ever seen it.... I’ve been praying for rain!

f44dfdeb976b7a443f9c494cb432d503.jpg

82ef642e8b638dcfbc82974dcdcd59b9.jpg

81448648380172c8747aa7e48426a691.jpg

2244ecb383480c1e021709107fe4455c.jpg

I did find some nice pockets of water that were still deep enough... for now...

d0da36da26d463af1a3cec1bfe7a73f8.jpg

6eae0a148d0ff8c3f2474977f2e6882e.jpg

My buddy came up that weekend to spend some time with me and he brought his family.

One day I took two of his boys out with me to find some sheds and hang some cameras... it went very well!

19e81ce146ae28890b2cde8c2daf1f43.jpg

I was able to help his oldest find his first shed! He nearly fainted when he found it!
83df57e19f7de70270eca12baf90fbb3.jpg

I found some too ;)
c84fb0cca3ff97c93ba4bd726ef45066.jpg

d8249312002ca9f37ec80a54ba7d6605.jpg

b2208529a069899540b87390bc36369e.jpg

6ba8446d8f15e2d666df7044d64909ef.jpg

Found this guy too, but those have to stay in the field!
37422165bcd264c3ed7161000d1ecc31.jpg

f3613d68f1d0f3ba708da9745be7b0dd.jpg

All in all it was a great, very fast, but very effective scouting trip.

I believe I’ve got 5 cameras up, all my old spots look good, and found a few more that look extremely promising.

The animals all look extremely healthy (saw 22 elk, 8 deer, and some turkeys)

I cannot wait to get back up there to the mountains this September. It’s going to be an amazing trip.

b67199104683b93d8ec146bc4af448a9.jpg

There is something very special about this place....

Oh and of course I had to stop at my favorite little country general store.

033d2b997fb62f83584b0d82d7c77a58.jpg

This is always the worst feeling ever....

524f11a6512eca95b555f86bafba25cc.jpg

Speaking of turkeys....

I’ve hunted a unit in NM for a few seasons now for elk. Every fall I’d see TONS of turkeys, but for the life of me couldn’t figure out why they didn’t have a season for fall turkey.

So one day I sent an email to game and fish and was referred to a lady who specialized in turkeys and their seasons.

I sent her all my intel, game cam pictures, etc. Well a few months ago I saw this.

568de3404ccc10dd8ac9f94fb71e466c.jpg

04f3ef9170affea73924a6d47e359c33.jpg

Because of my email they are presenting it at a meeting soon to have it added (along with a few other units).

It also sounds like it’s being fully supported.

I’m so friggen excited.... after talking to the lady again handling this she told me that this is just the way it was and no one questioned it since 1986.

Moral of this small story.... sometimes it’s better to ask about these kind of things verse just assuming it’s something they are looking into or “someone else may do it”.

If that pass this, even if I don’t draw a fall season NM tag, I’ll drive out there next year just to hunt them.
It would have such a special meaning to me because I can say I actually had a part in something.

Ok, last post and I’m caught up with any cool or interesting points from this year.

To stay proficient with my bow I’ve actually been shooting some 3D tournaments the last couple months and it’s honestly been going quite well!

fc60f951c723ed95bb22d0af5f913873.jpg

3eca56868c7058094f55697492452409.jpg

7640dcfa9ad191f09e8e52e925d6cf02.jpg

I’ve also signed up at a local range that has some great practice targets. I am not messing around this year!

Hey guys I am in for the ride.Been following along with you for the past couple years.GET UR' DONE!Doing my best in AZ. to follow in your footsteps.Lead the way.Lets show how doing it for yourself can be a lifelong gratifying experience.Fair chase is the name of the game.From Florida to California,with a brief stop in Az.dirtclod Az.

Hey guys I am in for the ride.Been following along with you for the past couple years.GET UR' DONE!Doing my best in AZ. to follow in your footsteps.Lead the way.Lets show how doing it for yourself can be a lifelong gratifying experience.Fair chase is the name of the game.From Florida to California,with a brief stop in Az.dirtclod Az.

Hey dirtclod Az, we appreciate you following along! Good luck to you this year in AZ, no shortage of game out there that’s for sure. I agree, let’s show people how it can be done and how to have a great time doing it. I look forward to hearing about your year.

Started my year on Jan.1 Archery Javelina.Three shots three misses in 30mph winds.I didn't practice in windy conditions...practice makes perfect.Learned a valuable lesson the hard way.I hunt for the enjoyment of just being in the outdoors and seeing things others dream about.Next hunt is Archery deer on the Mogollon Rim,Good luck guys I'll be watching and learning(and Practicing).dirtclod Az.

Guys. I am in for one more year.

You make it fun. Also, very energetic, apply for everything.

Good luck this year.

Appreciate you guys hunts and more importantly that you document it for us forced nonhunters (cannot draw).

Guys. I am in for one more year.

You make it fun. Also, very energetic, apply for everything.

Good luck this year.

Appreciate you guys hunts and more importantly that you document it for us forced nonhunters (cannot draw).

We really appreciate when people take the time to follow along and talk with us. The social media platforms take a lot of the communication out of everyday interactions. Instead of being able to type something out all you have to do is “like” a picture. That’s why I really enjoy forums. It means way more when someone takes the time to read and follow a thread, plus respond. So thanks for coming along.

Will you be buying any OTC tags this year? Bear? Barbary sheep?

Started my year on Jan.1 Archery Javelina.Three shots three misses in 30mph winds.I didn't practice in windy conditions...practice makes perfect.Learned a valuable lesson the hard way.I hunt for the enjoyment of just being in the outdoors and seeing things others dream about.Next hunt is Archery deer on the Mogollon Rim,Good luck guys I'll be watching and learning(and Practicing).dirtclod Az.

That’s awesome you were able to get the three shots off. You’ll get one next time.
I’ve not personally hunted javelina, but I’ve always heard how much fun they are to hunt. Good luck on your deer hunt.... I’m really excited to hear how that goes. Enjoy the hunt!

I ran out to some spots in Florida today to collect cameras. I need to freshen the batteries and some of them will get redeployed in Kentucky.

Some good news though, horn growth is just starting off down here!

29c37c4aad1657242f1cb390c9bc682d.jpg

64bf39e2c6d721c893d38f804ca7b38c.jpg

I think this picture is pretty neat because the moon is in it.

3d46177654f614247392e87371afd570.jpg

I’ll be heading out to KY in a few weeks to help my buddy start scouting for some elk and I’ll hang some cameras on some public land out there. I cannot wait to get out there.

Hunting Javelina and Coues deer are the ultimate adventure.Both can disappear in the blink of an eye.OR they are standing right in front of you and you will never see them.Maybe one day you guys can swing to the desert/or up to the rim country for world class Elk.Antelope and Desert Bighorn are here for the more adventurous.+$$

Lostinthewoods.

Bear is one animal that I have never had a desire to hunt. I live within 50 miles of the best barbary hunting in the state. When OTC, I did hunt it. Now it is the hardest draw for barbary. It would be fun to hunt them again, but those animals do not cooperate. I think they move 20 miles a day and with no pattern.

Following both of you guys hunt will keep in touch.

Last edited:
I have hunted Bear every archery deer season.Never have seen one,but my hunting partner came face to face with one just outside of camp.He was crawling through some Catclaw plants,hands and knees.Bear could smell him,but never saw him.He came in to camp shaking and peeing like a scared puppy.threw his bow down,and told God he would never hunt again.Then he had two beers and told God he wouldn't hunt again...Today.
I hunt alone.For the past 15yrs.

I have hunted Bear every archery deer season.Never have seen one,but my hunting partner came face to face with one just outside of camp.He was crawling through some Catclaw plants,hands and knees.Bear could smell him,but never saw him.He came in to camp shaking and peeing like a scared puppy.threw his bow down,and told God he would never hunt again.Then he had two beers and told God he wouldn't hunt again...Today.
I hunt alone.For the past 15yrs.

My past two seasons I had some nice black bears under 30 yards on an elk bow hunt and one nice cinnamon.
It's very cool to watch them. They are very smart and I love watching them work in the woods.

Lostinthewoods.

Bear is one animal that I have never had a desire to hunt. I live within 50 miles of the best barbary hunting in the state. When OTC, I did hunt it. Now it is the hardest draw for barbary. It would be fun to hunt them again, but those animals do not cooperate. I think they move 20 miles a day and with no pattern.

Following both of you guys hunt will keep in touch.

I understand about the bear.... I've seen a lot of them in the unit I elk hunt in and I've just never fully developed the want to shoot one. Maybe it's because I get so hyper focused on the elk hunt? I don't know, but maybe one day I'll get the itch to chase them.... or maybe not.

If time permits, I'll be heading out to to hit some of the OTC barb areas.

Hunting Javelina and Coues deer are the ultimate adventure.Both can disappear in the blink of an eye.OR they are standing right in front of you and you will never see them.Maybe one day you guys can swing to the desert/or up to the rim country for world class Elk.Antelope and Desert Bighorn are here for the more adventurous.+$$

I'd love to be stationed in AZ at some point in my career. It seems like you have a lot of hunting opportunity. I don't need the trophy quality, but I certainly won't be upset with that. You really do have some amazing elk and deer out there.
I've seen a lot of episodes of people hunting coues deer out there and you're right.. they are there one second and gone in a blink of an eye. I'd love to come chase them with my bow someday.

I'm looking forward to once again following your gents' adventures.

Thanks so much for sharing and more importantly, for your service to our country!

I'm looking forward to once again following your gents' adventures.

Thanks so much for sharing and more importantly, for your service to our country!

Thank you for following along another year, Bwana! We appreciate it!

My spring has been very busy at work, and due to my busy schedule and the fact I'll be gone from home for most of July and the for work, and much of Sep/Oct/Nov for hugging, it's tough to convince myself I need to be in the woods chasing bears instead of spending that time with my family. Before my calendar got full (before bear season) I managed to pick up enough deer and elk sheds to cover most of my tag expenses and maybe 1/2 a tank of gas. Unfortunately we're all going to have to budget quite a bit more gas $$$ this year :(

I had a few good days of shed hiking
e9d1193f7e68c15a9ae87f265ed57833.jpg

ef7e7af796d66c756c02cadce681dcee.jpg

ee2574f66732be0931aec8664fdd9586.jpg

868aceab31f6a11e6765c5bfb4431e1e.jpg

And a few adventurous days...

a03856a8411e66655b80a38858b33c2d.jpg

But all in all, especially when compared to last year, the shed hunting was much more productive, and I'm very fortunate to have been able to get out and put some miles on.

---

The only morning I was able to sneak away to look for bears I found one within the first 10 minutes of glassing. I chose to let it go and spent the rest of the morning watching it feed, roll around in the grass, and do bear stuff. It was quite enjoyable.

a7c36f1b10f994236beb3eb941472039.jpg

I haven't done the amount of hunting and hiking this year that I would have liked to, but I've been out there enough to satisfy the itch. My "work" trips help scratch the itch too...

84df8a0902a3be652314b901dd66b299.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back