atv's and elk hunting

Nameless Range, I think I've been on that same road! I just bought a ranger utv last fall for a reclamation job in MT/WY. Some of the roads I hunt in Region 3 of Montana allow 4x4 or atv usage, but you would destroy a 4x4 truck on those roads. You would loose your oil pan or transmission within the first mile. So far I haven't had any issues with hunters using atv's to drive in restricted areas where I'm hunting. I think it is too wooded and rocky to get off the trail. I built a dog box on mine for cat hunting and you can cover twice as much ground as with a truck.

I think in most western states the law enforcement personnel will put points against your license and you can lose your hunting rights.

Tread Lightly and Use Responsibly

Attachments

• DSC02075.jpg
    DSC02075.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 559
Worst things to ever be used for hunting. Lots of "legal" users. More illegal ones. If you can't or won't drive a hunting truck up the road Nameless showed, stay home. Sorry, I see so much abuse, I'll never change my mind. mtmuley

We took them last year on our first mule deer hunt in Wyoming and were glad we did. It rained like crazy and we never would have made it to where we were hunting with a pick up that day and a half before it dried out. On the other hand we couldn't believe the amount of illegal use we saw with them. Especially for the amount of roads in the unit we were in, it was unbelievable.

Something about these things just seem to make people nuts, guess it's just easier and faster for lazy people to keep riding rather than walking. Way to much abuse imo. Dont know how successful these unlawful idiots are but I do know they've screwed my hunts up on more than one occasion..

In certain areas they are a dang good way to not beat the he11 out of your truck. And, as was said above, in some areas they are utterly useless. I've had a few successful elk hunts that were much more pleasurable by using an atv to haul the meat. They are a useful tool for the law-abiding hunter.

Just don't be one of the doofuses that use hunting season as an excuse to get out and ride your ATV. Ride it to the end of a legal road and then walk. You'll see far more animals if you're willing to be your own ATV.

You've probably noticed some irk at the mention of ATVs in elk hunting. That is because so many people don't follow the rules. Probably not most, but it sure seems like it some days.

This year will be my 9th elk hunt. I am taking a 4 wheeler for the first time. A big reason is as Nameless mentioned. I am not tearing up my truck when I can ride a 4 wheeler down the same road. Plenty of roads where I am hunting, but the term "road" is used loosely. I will be covering miles upon miles with boot leather, but I will be using a 4 wheeler to cover ground in between hunting locations.

Do I feel guilty? Nope. Will I use it legally? Yup. Will I collect evidence and turn in any illegal user? YES!

To be used as a commuter vehicle then yes.... I drive a 1 ton crew cab long bed so not so good on mountain roads regardless the condition.

Back