Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

ATV Upgrade

I echo everything that was said above (except the praise for Ford of course) but I would reiterate that you should look at fuel injection as a must have and power steering as a get it if you can. Fuel injection is something that I will not live without nowadays on my motor-toys. If you do not need a bonified "2-Up" machine just about anything in the 500cc+ class should work out great for what you say you want out of the machine. As you probably already know, deals can be had on used ATV's and you can find ones a couple years old with barely any miles for thousands cheaper than new.

I don't see the need for these 800cc + ATVs. I don't really see the need for the 800cc+ Side by Sides. I currently have a 450 Yamaha Grizzly and a 570 Polaris RZR.

Of course there isn't a "need" for my 510cc Husqvarna dirt bike either, but I do like to jump it and pick the front wheel up and I don't think ATVs and UTVs really shine doing that kind of stuff. I can still jump my Yamaha WR250R and pick the front wheel up on it too, but it just isn't the same.
1000's are the RUMs paden.

I’ve used a bunch of ATVs for work, and if I was going to buy my own it would be a simple Honda Rancher. I like Yamaha, Suzuki is OK, never used a Can Am and have had terrible luck with anything Polaris.

My son in law's tools of the trade as a land seller is a drone and side by side big cab UTV....recently switched from a Polaris Ranger to a Kawasaki Mule...he's a thorough whipsmart young man. Likes the suspension on the mule.

If your going to be riding two up, then get a two up machine. Polaris, Can Am & Arctic Cat build them. In Montana some areas are writing tickets for riding two on a regular machine. Plus it is a handling issue to boot. You may want to look at the SxS 50 inch machines. They are legal on the ATV trail's and can haul gear for you in the box. I have a 2004 Yamaha 660 Grizzly I bought new and love it but it only is comfortable with no passenger.

Personally, I would search for a used Yamaha.... maybe a Honda. Mostly just because I grew up around Yamaha's and have had great luck with them.
Around here I see low hour, new looking, used ATVs quite often being sold by a older gentleman (or their estate).
You could get basically a new ATV for more than half the price

Hi From WI.
Looking for a little input. Hunt with my wife, both 60ish. When we hunt west we take our enclosed trlr, pack a long list. Included in the packing is our ATV, a Yamaha Bruin 350. I checked into re-jetting due to the altitude and my local shop did some research through Yamaha. Turns out the factory jetting was supposedly ok for the altitude(84-8700 ft) that we were hunting. It worked great, just bought a unit that mounted on the rack so my wife had a backrest. We just use it to get further up trails. Don't go off.
Although it works great I think I may upgrade to a larger ATV. I also use it for work. The 350 is not liquid cooled or injected. Any input would be appreciated.
I love the Arcticcats. Currently have TRV1000. Fuel injected / liquid cooled / 4 wheel independent suspension /4 wheel hydrolic disc brakes / 12" travel. Removable fairing with windshield / 2up removable seat with storage compartment. Heated handle bar grips for both riders. Seperate for rest for passenger. Use to plow with and tow DR brush mower. Can't go wrong. Mitch

I have an Arctic Cat 500 that has been reliable for 14 years and still going strong.
I change the engine, differential, transmission fluids and spark plug every year.
Super easy to attach or drop the plow...1 bolt on each side.
One essential upgrade for up here is a plugin for heating the engine prior to starting when its super cold.
IMG_0993.JPG

Personally, I would search for a used Yamaha.... maybe a Honda. Mostly just because I grew up around Yamaha's and have had great luck with them.
Around here I see low hour, new looking, used ATVs quite often being sold by a older gentleman (or their estate).
You could get basically a new ATV for more than half the price
Agree, already have a Yamaha, had a couple witch I use mainly for work, no problems. Just want a little more power than the 350 & like the size of an atv compared to a s X s.

My Yamaha 2011 550 Yamaha Grizzly has been good to us. EFI, power steering, winch, oversize mud tires, drop down rear basket, standard front basket. Plenty of power to ride me, my wife, and tow a sled (or two) with a deer or waterfowl gear in it. Lots of good ATVs on the market. As stated above, unless the ATV is designed to ride two people, you could be subject to fines in some locations. I have friends with the Can Ams designed for two-up riding. They are happy with them.

As stated above, unless the ATV is designed to ride two people, you could be subject to fines in some locations.
Thats not a real thing is it? Next your gonna tell something stupid like wear a helmet or cant drink beer...

I've currently got a CanAM 570, Polairs for my daugter and within the last few years owned a Kaw Brute Force and Yamaha Grizz. Seems like at somepoint you have issues with all of them - least that has been my expierence (i've had the most issues with the 2 most expensive models). If I had 15 minutes to decide right now what new rig to buy, for me, it would be the Honda Rubicon DCT EPS. Echo the comments on staying above 500cc and get something with power steering.

I love the Arcticcats. Currently have TRV1000. Fuel injected / liquid cooled / 4 wheel independent suspension /4 wheel hydrolic disc brakes / 12" travel. Removable fairing with windshield / 2up removable seat with storage compartment. Heated handle bar grips for both riders. Seperate for rest for passenger. Use to plow with and tow DR brush mower. Can't go wrong. Mitch
Second the Artic Cats. Mine's the 550TRV minus the heated grips. Great little machine that will go anywhere and has hauled out all 4 quarters of an elk at once.

I upgraded from a Yamaha Grizzly to a Yamaha Rhino. Didn't think I'd like the Rhino as much as the Grizzly until I was in heavy rain storms and some hail storms. I'd never trade back to an ATV. You can get a sxs now that's as narrow as an ATV. Drive one. I saw a guy riding a Polaris ATV with a passenger tip over on a steep sidehill. 2 up on a regular ATV meant for 1 is a bad idea in rough terrain.

I upgraded from a Yamaha Grizzly to a Yamaha Rhino. Didn't think I'd like the Rhino as much as the Grizzly until I was in heavy rain storms and some hail storms. I'd never trade back to an ATV. You can get a sxs now that's as narrow as an ATV. Drive one. I saw a guy riding a Polaris ATV with a passenger tip over on a steep sidehill. 2 up on a regular ATV meant for 1 is a bad idea in rough terrain.
Thanks, May check into that. On the other hand, both the wife & I are 60 +/-, Baha years are over & we're both in excellent shape, would rather hike once the terrain gets rough. I use this atv more for work than trails.

I have a 2008 Honda 420 rancher most basic model of the time. Manual shift, selectable 2 or 4wd. Tons of low end torque. I use it to plow all winter. I have pull started a Ford 8N with chlorided tires in the woods. Hauled a 353 pound black bear on a stretcher on the rear rack for 26 miles on a logging road. I use it ice fishing. Ì had it all the way up to 9300 feet in Colorado elk hunting hauling camp strapped to the rack. Moving empty grain wagons and hay wagons.

I change fluids every couple years and I am on my 3 battery. I have zero complaints. 2000 pound warn winch mounted works great too and I added a pull start when purchased new. I don't want to be on the top if the mountain or middle of the lake and not be able to start it.

Back