Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

ATV Gear

SDS14

Hey Guys and Gals,
I recently got a used 2008 Suzuki King Quad 450 for hunting and recreation. I need to get some tools and gear to have in my ATV at all times. It has a utility box/bench seat on the back that I can store and lock items in.
Any suggestions on what tools and gear I will need?
Thanks for your help.

-SDS14

winch with a tree saver strap.
+1
BB.jpg

Jumper cables, tow rope, ratchet strap, tool kit that came with bike or one that has tools to pull spark plug

The list of things that I carry in my waterproof bags is really long but here are a few basics.
200 feet of 2500 lb. mule tape or good 3/8 " rope. (I have lots of mule tape being a retired electrician)
Tow straps. Work as tree protector as well as added length for the winch cable.
First aid kit
Extra food and water. Think jerky and energy bars. Obviously these need to be changed and or consumed.
Water proof pancho as well as decent rain gear.
Spare gloves.
Fleece pullover.
Fire starter
If no winch then a come along. I have a winch but I also have a small come along.
Ratchet straps.
A tool kit that is more than what came with the quad.
A decent compass.
Decent fixed blade knife.
Hand saw. As big as you are comfortable with carrying.
Tire repair kit. Mine includes a CO2 kit as well as an aerosol can you buy at an auto parts store. I use tire plugs if I have to.
Things like duct tape and short ropes never leave the quad.
A small tarp or rain fly from a tent. I use it to cover the quad if the weather is really bad and I am away from it for hours at a time. I can also sit on them to glass.

There is more in my bags but that is a decent start.

My basic thought process is if I need to spend the night for some reason I want to be as comfortable as possible so sometimes I bring a lot more clothing. I also would like to think I can repair a minor problem so I can drive out rather than walk out. I hunt a lot by myself and I am way past retirement age.

I also carry one of those small jump boxes that is large enough to start a V8. It can power my phone or start my quad if the battery is dead.

I owned a few Suzuki's and found them very reliable. Hauled kids, moose, caribou, and bears. We often traveled 15 to 40 miles from the road to camp. Items I carried, basic tools, spark plug, tire plugs, small air compressor, engine oil. I had very little trouble mechanically. Trailer tires sometimes had issues, Water crossings at times required oil change. Picture below is King Quad 300
MooseHunt_suzuki quad.jpg

Back