ATV for transportation in the field

Mtmuley im not sure if you confront those who violate off road use or just report them. In this day and age it would be wise to just report them with a vehicle id and or license number. I'm not telling you what to do but your loved ones would rather see you come home alive. The risk of a confrontation is not worth being killed or being permanently disabled. If road or trail restrictions are being abused report it to a warden,forest service,blm etc. and let them confront the violators.
Any mode of transportation should be supported as long as the travel plans for roads and trails are followed. It's no different than someone condemning a compound over a stick bow. If it's legal support it, if it's illegal report it.

Very well said! If they are where they shouldn't be report them and follow through as a witness in court. If your not willing to do that then shame on you. I use mine on roads open to vehicles and ATV's ONLY!!!!! I get 22 mpg with mine plus not worry about scratching or denting my truck or getting it stuck. Turning around a F350 four door long box on a mountain road is an adventure in itself. My ATV no problem :)
Dan

RobertR, sometimes confrontation is inevitable. Some pose for pics, some don't. DanO, if I didn't have the stones to act as a witness in court, it doesn't do me any good to turn people in. So far, my personally gathered evidence has been enough for several convictions. mtmuley

Cammy, your thread is a good one.
I mentioned along with a couple others, the 4wheelers are fine.
The same rules apply to the wheeled rigs, pickup or atv's. Many think not.
You are good to go, best of luck.
I don't hate ATV's or those who use them.
What I do hate is the ILLEGAL use of ATV's. I have no problem with them as long as they stay on roads or ATV trails.
Ride on.

Cold day in Hell when any elk I kill makes it to my truck on an ATV. mtmuley

Unless you become disabled, and can't walk much less pack out an elk. Don't be so quick to criticize as you won't stay young and tough forever. Believe me, I know that getting old ain't for pussies.

RobertR, sometimes confrontation is inevitable. Some pose for pics, some don't. DanO, if I didn't have the stones to act as a witness in court, it doesn't do me any good to turn people in. So far, my personally gathered evidence has been enough for several convictions. mtmuley

Good deal!!! Keep up holding the violators accountable for their actions. After 28 years as a L.E.O. I found at times the ones that complained the loudest would not step up to the plate and testify. Thus the violator would walk. Glad you stand up and do the right thing, wish more would. When used properly a ATV is just like any other tool we use to hunt with. You could compare a wheel bow vs stick bow or a 338 Lapua and Lazer scope vs a flintlock. One creates an advantage over the other but both when used properly are ethical.
Dan

As much as I cringe at the sound of one when hunting or watching game,I sure wouldn't mind one here at the ranch for some chores. And they come in real handy retreiving game meat quickly.

But they are one big reason I don't hunt UT,CO,AZ,N NM S NM......................I've turned in dozens and have appeared in court with pics.

I also use them and the big rigs and other noisy traffic to my advantage as bird dogs,go over the ridge from the noise and you will find critters and no footprints or tire tracks hopefully.
I see elk hide everytime one of these rigs come down the valley or on a FS road now.

Too bad there are bone heads out there that wreck it for the rest of us. For us, the reason we had one is there where two totally different directions to head out from base camp and it was far cheaper to throw my light Honda Big Red 3 wheeler in a trailer than to drive 2 rigs for 3 hunters. I was checked by a CO, he said he asked around and nobody complained about my legal use, and thanked me for following the laws regarding ATV use. Like anything else they can be a handy tool but also can be misused. Sorry but I was not in "beast" or "xtreme" physical condition but I did get a several miles away from the trails on foot and did enjoy the mountain hunting experience. Even got lucky enough to bring home some meat! I have no hard feelings to those opposed to them and certainly understand why they may opposed the way some "hunters" are using them.

Not a fan of ATV's during a hunt. Don't mind using them once the tag is punched though to a point. My uncle lives in Wyoming and was telling me how he had glassed up a bull standing on the ATV trail feeding and heard a group of hunters riding up the trail. All the bull did was pick his head up, walk into the trees a few yards, watched them pass right by and stepped back out and continued to feed. ATV's are extremely loud and can ruin the riders hunt before he knows it and a lot of times ruins the guys hunt that walks in and is glassing. Just my 2 cents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back