Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Asphyxiation free space heaters

T Bone

Hey,

What heater can be safely used to heat a tent, or a camper shell? I'm afraid of waking up dead.

Any one use the catalytic propane heaters like a Coleman BlackCat?

Mr. Heater brand "buddy heater".
Coleman "Black Cat heater"

I have the Coleman but last November, a friend loaned me his "Buddy" heater.
Both run on the 1 lb propane bottles. You can set the Mr. Heater up to use
1 gal or 5 gal tanks.
The Mr. heater "Buddy" puts out a lot more heat, the Coleman will just raise the temp. in your tent by 10-15%, the Mr. Heater will keep my tent @ 50+% when it was near 0% outside.
The Buddy also has a low oxygen sensor that shuts it off, I hear they don't work well above 11,000 feet.
I almost always woke up alive.
The trade off is weight, size and price.

Look up the Zodi brand of heaters/showers. Totally safe as the combustion is outside of the tent/camper.

Second on the "buddy" heaters. Have the big buddy and it has a battery operated fan that really helps push the heat into the tent/camper. Has the low oxygen sensor that, if anything, is too sensitive (it will shut off if the heater tips over-which means anything other than nearly level).

I always leave a window or tent corner open anyway. Gotta give the mice a way in and out.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Catalytic-Heater-QuadCat-Propane/dp/B000H7QWKS

I have this one. Oxygen consumption warning suggests 6 sq/ inches of fresh air opening. 3000 BTU's. It'll burn a 16 oz. bottle up to 7 hrs. Has matchless lighting & a couple different stands (upright or lean). Less than 50 bucks. Also has a holder for usage on a golf cart. We used a Mr. Heater triple burner w/ a bbq sized propane bottle in a Eureka 16 x 10 three season tent a couple season's back in Colorado. Two burners at low setting w/ plenty of ventilation w/ temps in the 20's worked fine.

I really question a heater in a tent. One time I toured a Burn Unit at the University of Washington Medical Center and saw what happens when someone has a heater in a tent. It was a horrible sight.

And the risk of dying from asphyixation ain't much better.

Can't you just buy a better sleeping bag?

Here is what I do, cause I am paranoid about going to sleep forver cause of my heater. As Jose says, get a good bag. Right when you wake up, turn on the Mr Buddy. 10-15 Minutes and you are toasty warm. If it is really cold I'll do that at night before I go to sleep. I shut the buddy off and take out the tanks (overkill, I know). I will never trust a low oxygen sensor.

I am totally paranoid about not waking up from a tent heater. I stoke my stove and make sure to drink a lot of fluids at bedtime...then, when I get up to piss in the middle of the night, I stoke the fire again and I'm good until the alarm goes off.

I really question a heater in a tent. One time I toured a Burn Unit at the University of Washington Medical Center and saw what happens when someone has a heater in a tent. It was a horrible sight.

And the risk of dying from asphyixation ain't much better.

Can't you just buy a better sleeping bag?

Couldn't agree more. Why risk it?

Just this last fall a co-workers dad died from Asphyxiation. The investigation concluded that even though it was "vented" the high/low pressure prevented the gases from effectivly escaping.

They had used that setup for years too...... but it only takes one time for the conditions to be right for it to be all over for ya.

BTW I work with senors quite a bit and you do not want to even know how easily those things go out

I work with senors quite a bit
Hope cj doesn't read that... ;)

I do agree with Jose and WY when it comes to typical nylon tents. I think canvas tents are a much better deal if you're gonna use type of gas heat. They're definitely not for backpacking, but they can do make some that work really well for base/car camping. The one I use in MT this year I kept pretty snug with a very small propane heater and lantern. I turned both off before turning in.

Thanks all.

A better bag is the best advice of all. I decided on the Coleman product. Primary use will be for a quick warm, up-dry out in the evenings and the early mornings in my pickup camper shell. Those overnighters in November and December get really cold sometimes.

For backpacking, I'll settle for my Kifaru wood burning stove :).

...any bag suggestions? Aside from then anti-Cabela mood here, any views on the Alaskan Guide down/thermolite extreme model?

NH- I've not owned a Cabela's bag, but in looking at them at their store in UT I'd say I'm not impressed at all. I haven't tried many of the super brands, but I've been quite happy with my Big Agnes bag.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbaker
Back