Yeti GOBOX Collection

Artic Grayling Appreciation

MTelkHuntress

Artic Grayling are probably one of my favorite fish. When I was younger, I remember watching a show where they were catching them, and I distinctly remember the awesome blues of their fins. I knew someday I wanted to catch one but I never really put much effort into it. It wasnt until I worked in Colorado for a summer that I got the amazing opportunity. I was talking to a coworker and they mentioned that a lake near town had them. I didn't have any fishing gear so I borrowed a fly rod and some flies and got my butt out there. I didnt know how to fly fish so my coworker taught me the basics and I set out to catch these amazing fish. My casting was absolute garbage, but eventually I caught my first grayling. The blues in person were so beautiful and vibrant.

37147.jpeg
37139.jpeg
37145.jpeg37142.jpeg

It was definitely a trip I will never forget. Fast forward to this summer, I decided to take a day off scouting to fish for them. To catch a Montana grayling was especially exciting for me. Having a little bit more experience fly fishing (not by much) I was pretty confident in at least catching one. I hiked in to a beautiful lake and tried out a couple different dry flies. Hours of casts later I eventually caught the first grayling of the day. I ended up only catching two, but it was absolutely worth it to me.
IMG_20200729_081227_260.jpg
Catching a grayling in the river is definitely on my bucket list.

Grayling is on my bucket list. Can't seem to find them in lakes around here.

Thanks for sharing brings back memories. Caught a few on the upper Big Hole 20 plus years ago and out of a mountain lake that I hiked into when I lived in South East Idaho.

There are grayling in Gibson Reservoir out of Augusta, and they will go up into the tributaries to spawn.

There was a lake in the Popo Agie wilderness that was stocked with grayling and some washed down into the Middle Fork Popo Agie. Don't know if there is still a population there. Blackstone River in Yukon Territory is an outstanding grayling stream.

This book (a good one by the author of Indian Creek Chronicles)
51PSZuaZamL._SL350_.jpg
the author spent several months in the Bob baby sitting the grayling eggs that are now in Gibson Res.

Many years ago, I hiked into an Idaho lake that had grayling. Although I struck out, my brother, who is the fisherman in the family, caught one. They are neat fish.

They are a beautiful fish. As a kid when we drove through the Big Hole my dad would stop in a particular location and we would catch trout and grayling. It was pretty cool. Last fall up on the north side of the brooks range I got to fish for Arctic Grayling and Arctic char. I caught a nice char and 4 grayling. I put them all back but it was amazing.

Knocked them off the list last summer in Yellowstone. Two of the kids connected too. Wish they weren't 3/4 across the country from me, I could make them my favorite easily.

Grayling are awesome. Caught a ton on a family vacation in Alaska a few years ago

Always been one of my favorite trophy fish to target. There are still those special places where you can find remarkable Grayling.

Attachments

• C864F075-72D0-4557-90BF-214BFE689F6C.jpeg
    C864F075-72D0-4557-90BF-214BFE689F6C.jpeg
    58.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 37C51D38-0AB2-4B7A-8EFE-CA963431CF59.jpeg
    37C51D38-0AB2-4B7A-8EFE-CA963431CF59.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 19
  • 53DB4FAE-6E0A-4583-A0B0-0BE142F2D040.jpeg
    8.1 MB · Views: 1
  • E42B9FE3-312B-4875-B426-F9BA591AA532.jpeg
    E42B9FE3-312B-4875-B426-F9BA591AA532.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 18
An easy way to catch a grayling in MT is at Park Lake, west of Clancy. They are stocked there, and I've forgot bait and my kids have caught them on lunch meat.

I spent last weekend in the Big Hole, and caught a couple on one its tributaries. They are absolutely beautiful.

Cool pictures!

Dipper Lake in the Snowies has them. North Crow Reservoir use to also, not sure if they are still in there.

Interesting. I fished Blackjack lake because the forest service map says they are in there, but I didn't see any fish at all.

Interesting. I fished Blackjack lake because the forest service map says they are in there, but I didn't see any fish at all.

A couple years back, my nephews caught a bunch of them out of huck finn pond...easier hike too.

A couple years back, my nephews caught a bunch of them out of huck finn pond...easier hike too.

I already get dirty looks and comments from Karens when I fish Spring Creek on my lunch breaks.

I caught my first one a few weeks ago near Bozeman. Super cool fish. That dorsal fin is super cool. Would really like to go to AK and go after some giants!

Back