Caribou Gear Tarp

Arizona Turkey......Donkey Punched!

AZ402

turkey06017.jpg

This was the first Spring Turkey tag that I had drawn in AZ since 2000. Turkeys aren't my favorite but I figured I'd put a little effort in and see what happened. I missed opening day due to work and family obligations. Friday night my best friend and I headed out and reached our Turkey spot at about 2 A.M..

After about three hours of sleep we woke up to a turkey gobbling from it's roost. We headed in the direction but failed to get the bird close enough for a archery shot. We headed in another direction and quickly got another response and then several others. There were 3-4 birds right in front of us. Trav set up behind and started to call as I crept in for a closer look. I saw movement in front of me and set-up. In front of me 50-60 yards were three Toms strutting and postering each other. They pretty much were tied up with each other and we were unable to get a shot. The three birds moved off with some hens and shut it down for the morning.

That afternoon I grabbed my shotgun due to time constraints. About 10 minutes from camp we came across two Toms together. I got in to position for a shot and picked the one I thought was the biggest. The bird hit the ground and his buddy ran over to give him a few good-night kicks to the head.

turkey06013.jpg

WTG AZ! Great job on the picture too. Some beautiful country there.

JoseCuervo said:
Nice bird, congrats. Far better than the one IDBugler, Moosie, and I chased today.....

I don't know if I call Hanging the Shotgun out of a Truck actually "CHASING" ;)

Am I the First to ask why his HAnds are behind the bird in that position ? EEEEgads !!! ;)

AZ402, Kudos on the Donkey Punch !!!

Thanks guys, the bird had a 8 5/8ths beard and 1"+ spurs not bad for an AZ bird. Kurt I ment to post this pic below. I knew you'd recognize the area immediately.

turkey06018.jpg

Nothing like a little donkey-punching to keep a man satisfied. Good job.

Nice Tom Turkey Az402.... I have a tag and will go next week... should be able to add another Tom to the AZ list.....Almost looks warm? how was the weather up there?

Back