PEAX Equipment

Arizona Turkey......Donkey Punched!

AZ402

turkey06017.jpg

This was the first Spring Turkey tag that I had drawn in AZ since 2000. Turkeys aren't my favorite but I figured I'd put a little effort in and see what happened. I missed opening day due to work and family obligations. Friday night my best friend and I headed out and reached our Turkey spot at about 2 A.M..

After about three hours of sleep we woke up to a turkey gobbling from it's roost. We headed in the direction but failed to get the bird close enough for a archery shot. We headed in another direction and quickly got another response and then several others. There were 3-4 birds right in front of us. Trav set up behind and started to call as I crept in for a closer look. I saw movement in front of me and set-up. In front of me 50-60 yards were three Toms strutting and postering each other. They pretty much were tied up with each other and we were unable to get a shot. The three birds moved off with some hens and shut it down for the morning.

That afternoon I grabbed my shotgun due to time constraints. About 10 minutes from camp we came across two Toms together. I got in to position for a shot and picked the one I thought was the biggest. The bird hit the ground and his buddy ran over to give him a few good-night kicks to the head.

turkey06013.jpg

WTG AZ! Great job on the picture too. Some beautiful country there.

JoseCuervo said:
Nice bird, congrats. Far better than the one IDBugler, Moosie, and I chased today.....

I don't know if I call Hanging the Shotgun out of a Truck actually "CHASING" ;)

Am I the First to ask why his HAnds are behind the bird in that position ? EEEEgads !!! ;)

AZ402, Kudos on the Donkey Punch !!!

Thanks guys, the bird had a 8 5/8ths beard and 1"+ spurs not bad for an AZ bird. Kurt I ment to post this pic below. I knew you'd recognize the area immediately.

turkey06018.jpg

Nothing like a little donkey-punching to keep a man satisfied. Good job.

Nice Tom Turkey Az402.... I have a tag and will go next week... should be able to add another Tom to the AZ list.....Almost looks warm? how was the weather up there?

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back