MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Arizona 10% cap on Nonresidents

Great point Dan. That's exactly what I was trying to say, but Buzz for some reason just didn't get it. Maybe the simple way you stated it will be easier to understand for the simple minded.

If I lived in AZ, I'd be pushing for "up to 5%" of the licenses, unless I was a guide or outfitter. As a non-resident, I think it would be good to go set-aside 10% or up to 20%. Just my opinion.

MT screws non-residents too. They can't even apply for a large portion of the Moose, sheep, and goat permits. And they are only allowed to draw (up to 10%) if I understand it right. But unfortunately, as a resident, I'm not going to fight for any changes in that. Just the way it is... deal with it.

NR hunters play a big part in all(Western States) G&F budgets but residents; out of the shear numbers, will out weigh NR contributions.
I'm not totally convinced of this. IIRC an article posted here a few years ago showed that most Western states recieve about 75% of their license fees from NRs. Take UT for example, for every NR deer tag, they must sell 6.575 tags, elk is 1 NR to 5.969 resident tags. The quota for the general hunts don't differentiate between NR and residents.

I stopped reading this thread once the whinning started but here are the results of the Bill. Supposedly the Gov has signed it already.

HB2127
SPONSORS: WEIERS JP P CHASE P BURGES C
MURPHY C
TITLE: nonresident big game permits; limits
HOUSE FIRST READ: 01/11/06
COMMITTEES: ASSIGNED COMMITTEES ACTION
Vote Detail 01/11/06 NRA 02/06/06 (7-1-0-2-0) DPA
Vote Detail 01/11/06 RULES 02/21/06 (9-0-0-0-0) C&P
SECOND READ: 01/12/06
MAJORITY CAUCUS 02/21/06 Y
MINORITY CAUCUS: 02/21/06 Y
COW ACTION 1: DATE ACTION AYES NAYS NV EXC
02/23/06 DPA 0 0 0 0
AMENDMENTS
NRA passed
THIRD READ: DATE AYES NAYS NV EXC EMER AMEND RFE 2/3 VOTE RESULT
Vote Detail 02/27/06 47 8 5 0 Y PASSED
TRANSMIT TO SENATE: 02/28/06
SENATE FIRST READ: 02/28/06
SECOND READ: 03/01/06
COMMITTEES: ASSIGNED COMMITTEES ACTION
Vote Detail 03/01/06 NRRA 03/08/06 (5-1-1-0) DP
03/01/06 RULES 03/13/06 PFC
MAJORITY CAUCUS: 03/21/06 Y
MINORITY CAUCUS: 03/21/06 Y
CONSENT CALENDAR: 03/13/06 12:52 PM Object
COW ACTION 1: DATE ACTION AYES NAYS NV EXC
03/23/06 DP 0 0 0 0
THIRD READ: DATE AYES NAYS NV EXC EMER AMEND RFE 2/3 VOTE RESULT
Vote Detail 04/03/06 20 9 1 0 PASSED
TRANSMIT TO HOUSE: 04/03/06
TRANSMITTED TO: GOVERNOR 04/12/06

What a surprise...

What a surprise, a governor sign a bill that completely benefits his voting residents over nonresidents without a vote or any recourse. Thats a no-brainer, simple politics. What did the governor have to lose? Nothing. Did anyone expect anything different? I've always said that AZ is the worst state when it comes to discriminating against nonresidents. I agree AZ could at least guarantee nonresidents 10% of the tags considering the raping they do to our credit cards every year at application time. It is interesting on boards how if you disagree your whining but if you agree its called an opinion.

Hey Stan I see that AZ isn't making much for friends here, I hope that my app will be filled in the next couple of years. I can't wait to get there for an Elk. How is the varmint hunting there. HAPPY HUNTING.

...hey Stan, don't knock cow hunts..."In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.":D

Here we go again. Stan can't stand someone with a different opinion so he has to open his big mouth. I never said anything to you and you had to open your sperm receptacle. Besides, like I'm the only person on this site that shoots cows. I have to shoot something until I draw my bull tag in AZ in the year 2030. I think Stan is the only person on this site that has made love to a cow.

hey james I think there are more tactful ways to say what it is you wish to say other than this. Don't get your panties in such a bunch.

Tactful...

Ruger, I agree that I could have responded in a much more tactful way. I can tell by your comment that you haven't read the exchange AZ402 and I had on this issue some months ago when he called me every thing but a white man. Otherwise, you would probably be cheering me on because AZ402 deserved everyone of my tactful comments and then some. I apologize if I offended you Ruger. I'll clean it up.

James you didnt offend me but I get tired of reading crap, I am hoping to get a tag for AZ elk sometime in the next hopefully 5yrs, I have hunted alot of places but a first for AZ. Anyway chew out whoever you want but do it in a pm. HAPPY HUNTING hump

Danr,

No you didnt ask a tough question...you just dont comprehend worth a shit.

Every year WY gives 25% of all available tags to NR's, including the top trophy areas and also including sheep, goat, and moose.

The "ratios" you're bragging about in AZ are no different than the odds faced by R's here for top trophy units. NR's take opportunities from R's every year in WY....25% of it.

Your state and its resident hunters seems to have the market cornered on selfishness and being self rightous about not being able to draw tags.

In 32 years of applying for sheep, goat, moose, trophy elk, trophy deer, Antelope, etc. in multiple states, I've drawn one moose, one goat, a couple unlimited sheep tags (guaranteed tag), and a coues deer in AZ. Never drew a trophy elk or deer tag in MT or WY.

Thats it.

Most AZ residents I know have faired much better than that.

Buzz, that may be true but as a resident a person can hunt deer and elk every year in Montana and Wyoming; maybe not in a so-called "trophy" unit, but at least they get to hunt. I don't believe that is true for an Arizona resident. That's the difference. Maybe it's you who doesn't "comprehend worth a shit."

Buzz, You're the one who doesn't comrehend. I'm not talking about hunting trophy units. I'm talking about the right to hunt "big game" anywhere in the state. About 60% of resident hunters don't get drawn every year because they can't draw a tag! Big difference between having to hunt other than trophy areas and not being able to hunt at all.

Think about that for a while. What if you couldn't draw a tag at home?

:cool:

Wyoming might guaruntee NR's 25% of the tags but that's not because they feel generous. NR's are required to hire a guide or outfitter to hunt the Wilderness areas. Sounds more like a boost to the economy.

Back