Archery Pants

Stone_Ice_1

I am looking at getting some new archery pants for this coming year. Was in a cabelas store this past week and couldn't find anything like what I'm really looking for. I want some pants to use during hot weather that will shed water. Tired of walking through wet brush or during/after a quick storm and being soaked.

I know the Sitka gear is quite popular but I really find it to be quite loud, at least the Ascent pants. I did look at some Cabelas microtex pants that looked ok and are light, but it appears they don't really shed the water, they just dry out fast. Only other pants I found were actual raingear camo, and that stuff just gets too hot when the sun comes out.

Any suggestions?

FWIW I used Cabelas Alaskan Guide Windshear pants this season. I found them quite comfortable but may be a bit too warm for early season. I see they are are on special now that the season is over. They make a waterproof version that might be worth looking into.

Cabellas Micro tex....and Rain Suede if it keeps up all day. Quite,cheap,works.

I love my First Lite pants...I bought a new pair of Kanabs and hunted them 6 days straight during muzzleloader season in Colorado. Get a good pair of thermals for when it gets cold and you are set. They probably wont shed water away the way you want though but other than that they are great!!

I use the microtex in the breaks. Like you stated, it dries really fast and is about as cool of gear as you're going to find.

Bought a pair of FirstLite Merino wool pants for archery backpack hunting. Wore them only 13 times, and the butt cheek wore through (from sitting and glassing). In addition, tore holes in the pockets and legs from walking through flimsy brush. These pants impressed me as far too easy to tear, and they are expensive. I'm not impressed at all. Actually sent them back to the company for a refund.

Maybe I had a defective pair, but I wouldn't recommend this product.

Check out some of the options from Kuhl, I've found them to be top notch.

These are good pants.

I can't believe that Ascents are loud? I guess my ears are bad, I love mine for archery hunting.

As far as scotch guarding BDUs, I have a number pairs of multi cam BDUs but they stay in the closet for archery hunting. They are LOUD and much hotter than my Ascent pants.

I used the core4element Element pants for archery this last year at about 8000ft and above last fall and really like them. I actually use them year round. With merino wool leggings they are plenty warm. In hotter days I can unzip the leg vents and stay cool. My favorite feature is the removable knee pads. These are a life saver when stalking on your hands and knees. I have worn them for the last 4 years for deer, elk, mountain lion, etc and they still are like new. My brother has the similar style in Kuiu which I like a little better but I don't think it's worth the extra cost.

Being cheap, I bought some spray on DWR coating at Walmart and put them on my microtex pants. While far from waterproof, it did help quite a bit in keeping them from soaking through. Water would bead up on them and then could be brushed off. Won't keep you entirely dry, but was much better than non-treated.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I will probably take another look at the ascent pants but right now I'm leaning towards the Microtex.

I've had Ascent pants for several years and have beat the snot out of them and they've held up well. I wear them unless its so cold that it's time for the woolies.

I have a pair of microtex but I think they are the lightweight ones. The lightweights are about as thick as a paper towel so you feel every pebble under your butt when you sit down and everything pokes through and annoys if I walk through brush. On the plus side they keep things super cool and are quiet.

I've been mainly wearing different Sitka pants the past few years and am very happy with them. I also have a pair of Microtex that were and still are great pants, I've suggested them to multiple people and they all have been satisfied as well.

+1 on the Microtex. I used and I mean really used Rain Suede for years and it was great. I finally had to replace it last season and went down to Cabela's to buy another set. I was really disappointed in the new Rain Suede. It is not the same product as the original. A buddy bought a set and returned it after our archery mule deer hunt in CO the first week in September. We had some pretty good rain on several days so it got a real test. My First Lite rain gear performed flawlessly, but it is noisy. Okay for when its actually raining and the rain is covering the sound. I used my old Rain Suede as a windproof top layer whenever it was wet or cold and that stuff was dead silent. Treated it several times with Nik Wax DWR but finally just got too many holes from the brambles to keep me dry. I will still use it as a windproof top layer.

+1 on the Microtex. I used and I mean really used Rain Suede for years and it was great. I finally had to replace it last season and went down to Cabela's to buy another set. I was really disappointed in the new Rain Suede. It is not the same product as the original. A buddy bought a set and returned it after our archery mule deer hunt in CO the first week in September. We had some pretty good rain on several days so it got a real test. My First Lite rain gear performed flawlessly, but it is noisy. Okay for when its actually raining and the rain is covering the sound. I used my old Rain Suede as a windproof top layer whenever it was wet or cold and that stuff was dead silent. Treated it several times with Nik Wax DWR but finally just got too many holes from the brambles to keep me dry. I will still use it as a windproof top layer.

I forgot about the new Rain-Suede pants I got to replace a slightly mouse chewed pair of 10 yr old ones. Your right Sagebrush,not the same stuff. Stiffer,noisier than old stuff.I'll patch the old ones for the rain.
Here in NM with the heavy monsoons sometimes it's just best to hunker down under a poncho.
I think the micro-tex stuff dries very quickly and lasts for yrs. Gaiters sometimes help too.

Last edited:
Back