PEAX Equipment

Archery Handgun in Griz Country...

Just can't carry a semi for a woods gun. Must come from carrying a wheel gun before the semi craze. Revolvers never fail. mtmuley

It's pretty hard to loose a magazine out of a revolver. :)

I'll take a .357 revolver with hard cast any day of the week over a Glock 10mm for a woods gun.

First you need to figure out what you will be happy and comfortable with. Having had a number of years instructing law enforcement officers on the range I have a few things for you to consider. First are you currently proficient with a handgun, either revolver or semi auto? Do you shoot on a regular basis? Do you do drills to clear a jam "semi auto"? How do you plan on carrying the sidearm with a backpack or heavy clothing? What type of holster do you have or plan on using, will it have a thumb break strap or snap type? Will it have night sights or a lazer light?
You see there are many variables to consider when you plan on using a sidearm for protection. Then you need to be real honest with yourself about recoil. During my 28 year career I carried 2 separate 357's, a 41 mag, 9mm, 40 S&W and a 10mm S&W 1006. The only one that was hard to handle in fast double action shooting was the 41 mag but it could be done even with full house loads but you had to concentrate very hard to get it done accurately. In full house loads the 10mm is just shy of the 41 mag in performance but will carry more rounds. My 10mm will carry 9 +1 where as the Glock is 15 + 1. A good hard cast bullet around 180 to 200 grains with a good wide nose is the best choice IF it will feel reliably in your gun. That is one thing you need to insure with a semi auto is will it feed your ammo when you need it. A revolver is more reliable for the average shooter. I also have 3 44 mag's a S&W mod 29, Ruger Super Redhawk, Ruger Super Blackhawk, 1 45 colt in a Ruger Bisley and a 454 in a Ruger Super Redhawk. I carry the RSB because it has a 4 5/8 barrel and is stainless. I also carry the Bisley and the RSRH as both have 7 1/2 in barrels but they are heavy and the long barrel can be an issue.
I think your best choice would be a S&W model 629 in either a 4 or 5 inch barrel, loaded with a hard cast 270 or 280 grain bullet. Add a Crimson Trace lazer grip and you have a great carry gun. Well there you have my $.02 worth.
Good Luck and don't forget the Bear spray :)
Dan

does anyone know about EAA Witness? Never heard of them....

check it this 10mm.... http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-EA600600

Looks like it's simply a CZ 97 rechambered in 10mm Auto. Were it up to me, if you want to put that sort of money into a 10mm... Get a Sig. Or, get a Glock model 20 for Significantly less... The Glock 20 will be as reliable (if not more) than any other semi-auto out there.

Im still carrying the Ruger Alaskan in a 480 2" barrell . Its loaded with 300 gr. XTP.
oh I still have a small can of spray but its in my pack unless my wife is with me hunting then she carries the spray.
Ps I have shot the wheel guns for 30 years .Im a Ruger fan till the end .

Good luck !!!

MT.PERCHMAN

Glock 20 will work. Do some research into the bullets you will be using. I like the 10mm, but also the .44 mag.

Hope you never have to find out. I've seen grizz up close during archery season. Luckily they were looking for berries and not meat (me). Awesome to be that close to living death.

My grandpa says if you encounter a pissed griz you better hope your sights are filed off so it doesn't hurt when the bear shoves that pistol where the sun don't shine it's easier to pull out

THIIS!!!!!!! Bear spray has continuously been proven more effective.

THIIS!!!!!!! Bear spray has continuously been proven more effective.

This is factually true based on historical statistics, though that did not stop me for an excuse to buy my Taurus .45 LC / .410 2" Polymer. Light as heck vs all those heavy "anchor" weighted dirty harry gun lovers... It is awesome! I love it though one can not avoid the statistics of bear spray. I have both.

http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/bear_cougar/bear/files/JWM_BearSprayAlaska.pdf
ABSTRACT We present a comprehensive look at a sample of bear spray incidents that occurred in Alaska, USA, from 1985 to 2006. We
analyzed 83 bear spray incidents involving brown bears (Ursus arctos; 61 cases, 74%), black bears (Ursus americanus; 20 cases, 24%), and polar
bears (Ursus maritimus; 2 cases, 2%). Of the 72 cases where persons sprayed bears to defend themselves, 50 (69%) involved brown bears, 20
(28%) black bears, and 2 (3%) polar bears. Red pepper spray stopped bears’ undesirable behavior 92% of the time when used on brown bears,
90%for black bears, and 100%for polar bears. Of all persons carrying sprays, 98%were uninjured by bears in close-range encounters. All bearinflicted
injuries (n¼3) associated with defensive spraying involved brown bears and were relatively minor (i.e., no hospitalization required). In
7% (5 of 71) of bear spray incidents, wind was reported to have interfered with spray accuracy, although it reached the bear in all cases. In 14%
(10 of 71) of bear spray incidents, users reported the spray having had negative side effects upon themselves, ranging from minor irritation
(11%, 8 of 71) to near incapacitation (3%, 2 of 71). Bear spray represents an effective alternative to lethal force and should be considered as an
option for personal safety for those recreating and working in bear country.

This will get you a 100 different answers.
The 44 mag is a awesome gun, and IF ?, you hit your target on the first shot it will definitely do the job.
But, if you miss, while your recovering from the recoil, the Bear is going to eat you.

I carry a Glock model 22, in 40 S&W, loaded with 155 gr. JHP.
I can accurately shoot 6 or 8 rounds from it, in a matter of seconds. I will take rapid fire power over 1 shot any day. JMO

Kevin

Back