Archery Beginner

pablodiablo

Good Morning, I am a whitetail hunter, new to Elk. I've only hunted rifles and have never shot a bow in my life, but I am interested in learning.

My question is, starting from zero experience, how many months/years do you think it'd take to become proficient in shooting a bow? If I start today could I hunt next year, or would it be best to plan to practice for X years, before planning a real hunt? Sorry if this is a stupid question, or one with too many variables to answer! The elk bug has bitten me pretty bad, and I havent even gone on my first hunt yet.

It all depends on your equipment and how much you practice. Get the best equipment you can afford and practice, practice, practice. I would go to your local bow shop and get some lessons so that you start out with good form and habits from the get go and go from there. If you start today there's no reason you can't hunt next year, depending on what you feel comfortable with as far as shot distance and your own gut feeling as to what you can do.

If you start today and put the time into shooting and getting proficient in the next year you can most definitely do it by next fall. By "put the time in" I mean that. You have to be really committed and get your form down correct and then get proficient out to whatever yardage you're comfortable with. A good place to start is a quality local bow shop. Those guys are more than willing to help beginners from what I have seen. It is important to get your form down correct from the get go rather than trying to fix something after a while.

Good luck in your new found addiction!

From a strictly shooting standpoint, I think it is possible to even hunt this year if you shot every day for the next 45 days. That is more practice than most archers do I would wager. You will know after 2 weeks if you are consistent enough. You might be limited to 20 or 30 yards but hitting an elk in the boiler room at 20 yards is not very difficult.

What John Cushmann and Zach the bowhunter said!Go to a reputable archery shop, probably not Cabelas or Basspro Shops, and shoot a variety of bows. Have the staff help you pick a bow/equipment based on your budget and what your intentions are with it. My local archery shop has a couple certified archery coaches on staff they are more than happy to help get you started correctly. It is much easier to start correctly than try to adjust your technique later.

From a strictly shooting standpoint, I think it is possible to even hunt this year if you shot every day for the next 45 days. That is more practice than most archers do I would wager. You will know after 2 weeks if you are consistent enough. You might be limited to 20 or 30 yards but hitting an elk in the boiler room at 20 yards is not very difficult.

I would not disagree with this. If you're disciplined and shoot religiously every day and can group really well at 20 and 30 and even 40, then limit yourself to those distances you could hunt this year. But it's really your call if you feel comfortable with your shooting. If you don't then it may be best to wait until you are comfortable because you don't want the terrible feeling of losing an animal because of a poor shot.

Its all in how comfortable you feel. I practice quite a bit but I also know guys that dont practice at all and take there bows out and shoot animals every year.

Thanks guys. As a followup, is there a beginner bow I should start with (either in terms of draw weight or other features)? Or would it be best to buy the bow I intend do use for elk, and learn and practice on that equipment?

You guys all rock. thank you for the help, and for being kind to a new guy.

If you bought a new bow today, you will definitely be proficient by next archery season. As stated, above, if get into a routine of shooting your bow over the course of a summer (say 60 to 100 arrows a day or every other) . . . . you will definitely be ready. My advice is to look for bow shoots in your area. Definitely a 3D shoot. These shoots are not only fun, but they will educate you on judging distances and where to hold whether you shooting uphill of downhill ( if you shooting up .... aim up; if you are shooting down .... aim down). It's all relative to your poundage and the bow itself. Good luck and welcome the archery world. Overall, archery hunting will make you a better rifle hunter (IMO).

If you get one of today's bows. The let-off will be a fairly high let-off compared to the older bows (say 80%'ish). The pound will vary quiet a bit as well (50# to 70#). As you shoot more and more, you can increase the poundage (obviously you'll have to adjust your sights accordingly). IMO, when the elk season comes around . . . . you'll be ready to shoot 70#s. That will be plenty for elk hunting.

Another bit of advise. I do NOT advocate for shooting at an animal over 50 yards, but practice out to 70 or 80 yards. This will make you a much better shot at 20 - 30 - 40 - 50 yards.

Last edited:
I would suggest as a beginner bow a Mission or Hoyt Ignite that will grow with you as you progress. They have a wide range of draw length and weight, up to 70#. I bought my wife an Ignite and she is progressing through the draw weight and getting better and better. The Ignite package was $399 for the bow, a rest, quiver and sight. That is simply MY suggestion from knowing the bow. A friend of mine has a Mission Riot and he's shooting 28" and 60# with it. They are definitely not 'kid' bows as they will progress with you. Start at a low draw weight and work on your form and increase draw weight slowly. But, shoot as many bows as you possibly can and find the one that fits you the best. I am simply suggesting two bows that I know from experience.

I agree with Mission. They are not "beginner" bows at all. They have a wonderful price point. I am a die hard bow hunter and I have shot a Mission Ballistic for 3 years now. These bows drive tacks. They don't have the fancy wood and engraving of a mathews but man do they shoot. You will not be sorry. This bow has a lot of features for the money.

Back