Caribou Gear

Archery Antelope Tactics

WV Hunter

Anybody have some pointers for a first time Antelope hunter who decided to make it harder by going during archery season? Should I pop up a blind near a fence crossing or try to find water and set up? Should I get a decoy and try my luck at a spot and stalk? Or all of the above? I feel good with my bow set up out to 50 yards.

If I decide to try and stalk one with a decoy, what decoy should I try? I see there is everything from a cow cut out to actually dressing up like an antelope (bethedecoy).

Should I just wait for todays OYOA episode and learn from ID? :D

A blind at a water hole will be offer you the highest success rate while decoying (during the rut-Sept) is more fun. The key to decoying is to sneak within 100yds before showing the decoy. Antelope hunting with a bow is a blast so either way you will have a great time.

I drew a Archery tag too... I'm guessing my fist bit of advice would be Shoot your bow. I haven't done that yet :(

I almost forgot, You have to be able to shoot out to 60 yards like Idahobugler. That sure helps!

Sitting on water holes is really weather dependant. If you have alot of rain before archery season then water holes become pretty useless. I would suggest to plan on doing a little blind work as well as some spot and stalk. A generic cow decoy is pretty successful to hide behind while you stalk, but alot of places you find antelope you'll also find wind and that decoy can become a kite...lol

I tried hunting them last year exclusively spot and stalk. It was frustrating, but also a blast. I found getting within 100 yards of them wasn't too hard, anything inside that is where it got tricky. I also found lone bucks or bachelor groups much easier to work with than large groups of does, fawns and bucks.

I'm debating back and forth on whether or not I wanna try the bethedecoy.com set-up during archery season. It's a Montana company, and at first glance it looks unsafe, but I think it might work...

I'm debating back and forth on whether or not I wanna try the bethedecoy.com set-up during archery season. It's a Montana company, and at first glance it looks unsafe, but I think it might work...

I don't know about unsafe... but the gals modeling he hats look like trouble ;)

WVHunter; please sit in another area of the resturant if you buy one of those Bethedecoy hats.Are those people serious??I see no way that they will work.They must get a good laugh over there everytime they sell one.What will they think of next???i'd like to see some live stalks done with this hat on on their site

WVHunter; please sit in another area of the resturant if you buy one of those Bethedecoy hats.Are those people serious??I see no way that they will work.They must get a good laugh over there everytime they sell one.What will they think of next???i'd like to see some live stalks done with this hat on on their site

Haha, may be able to pull some hot does in the club sportin that outfit. I don't think I could stop laughing at myself if I tried to stalk an animal in that.

In that case buy 2 and I'll get you the money when I see you,lol
Just learn to shoot good and as far as possible, and have alot of patience.Sooner or later ones going to commit to where your at.Make sure you can hit them when they do

The antelope decoy hats from bethedecoy.com will be put to the test in less than a week here in Montana. It's just another tool to have. I've been messing around with mine, and I know it's going to work. I'm excited to try something different this year. I'm not even bring the blind with with.

Well let us know how it works...I'm gonna try straight up spot and stalk this weekend...it looks like its going to rain.

mthunter, please take videos of your stalks.I'd love to see the reaction of the antelope.I am being serious, not a smarta$$.i just can't see them working, but I may be very wrong
I just got my zebu cow decoy in the mail.Tried to get the special on here from Montana decoys but they are back ordered.Going to use mine mainly as a blind to hide behind at crawl unders.I will try a stalk or two with it and see how that goes.Attaches right to my bow and actually made my release a little more quiet.I'll have a blast being in Wy. anyway.Good luck to you mthunter

ONly guy I know who has taken a goat with a bow built a decoy that looked like a horse. He painted it up and snuck in behind it. Walked almost directly at the critters and shot one from 40 yards. ONly trick I know. Good luck.

Mixed bag, A Zebu Cow might scare away those critters north of NM/AZ/TX. When you see those Mommas with ears it's usually their tail and a cloud of dust...:-D

PS... After looking it up I See it is a Hereford cow....I pictured This....'

494361824_fh56U-L-1.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the spot and stalking. It's pretty much nonstop action all day. What I've found works really well is find the heards and hunt the satalite bucks. If you can hunt some areas that have rolling hills or areas you can move fast; try to cut them off while they make their way to the herd. Or, get the herd buck while he's on his way back to the doe's. Also don't be afraid to move fast and get to a point where you can cut them off. I've never tried the cow blind, but it looks awesome and as soon as the season opens back up in ND I'm giving it a shot for sure!

Good luck!

That picture reminds me of last years hunt when the cows all grouped together and chased me back to my truck,lol.Wasn't real funny at the time though.The main bull in the group was pretty unhappy.Now I just hope he doesn't try and mount me being as I look like one of his girls

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tbonser94
Back