Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Archery Antelope Tactics

mthunter, please take videos of your stalks.I'd love to see the reaction of the antelope.I am being serious, not a smarta$$.i just can't see them working, but I may be very wrong
I just got my zebu cow decoy in the mail.Tried to get the special on here from Montana decoys but they are back ordered.Going to use mine mainly as a blind to hide behind at crawl unders.I will try a stalk or two with it and see how that goes.Attaches right to my bow and actually made my release a little more quiet.I'll have a blast being in Wy. anyway.Good luck to you mthunter

I'm hunting with two other guys. We have three cameras so we should have plenty of footage. Plus in Montana, you can buy two doe tags. So I have three antelope tags in my pocket. I can't wait.
Here are a couple of videos on you tube I found. It looks as if they are just testing the reaction during the off season.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6GgusBl8ng

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DScUvu7utkY

The cow decoy will work great. The cow can be used out side the rut, while the standing antelope decoys work best during the rut. The only thing I like about the hat is it will stay on my head when the Montana wind is blowing like crazy. I can also take off running to cut off the antelope if needed with out folding up the decoy.

I'll be sure to let you know how it goes. More rain forcasted this week, so spot and stalk maybe the best option.

From what I saw everyone spooked.Maybe I don't know camera yardage, but looked like a real LONG shot from where he was.I hope your able to do better.Looks like it may work if you have decent brush around to hide your body.Where I'm hunting all the brush is 1/2" high;grass.Love to see you actually connect on an antelope with that.Would make a believer out of me

From what I saw everyone spooked.Maybe I don't know camera yardage, but looked like a real LONG shot from where he was.I hope your able to do better.Looks like it may work if you have decent brush around to hide your body.Where I'm hunting all the brush is 1/2" high;grass.Love to see you actually connect on an antelope with that.Would make a believer out of me

I don't think the shots looked to far. The one thing I noticed is how they antelope only backed up 10-15 yards then stopped. Anything under 70 yards will be shot at. I practice out to 90 all the time. They also did not leave the county when they took off. By hunting more rolling hills and using traditional spot and stalk tactics, this hat will give me the extra 5 - 10 seconds I need for the shot. 5 seconds can be the difference between filling your tag, or not.

I'll be sure to let you know. I'm hoping to become a believer also.

I like to hunt from a pit blind by a water hole. I've also been successful hunting as r-22 pilot describes above but there are times you have to run flat out to get to a cut-off point. I hunt with recurve and long bows so my shots are limited to 35-40 yards

Anybody have some pointers for a first time Antelope hunter who decided to make it harder by going during archery season? Should I pop up a blind near a fence crossing or try to find water and set up? Should I get a decoy and try my luck at a spot and stalk? Or all of the above? I feel good with my bow set up out to 50 yards.

If I decide to try and stalk one with a decoy, what decoy should I try? I see there is everything from a cow cut out to actually dressing up like an antelope (bethedecoy).

Should I just wait for todays OYOA episode and learn from ID? :D

If you are going before the 2nd week in September, water blind or spot and stalk. Decoys/calling are great fun during mid September. Cow decoy might always be a good thing to have along. In August, I say be patient, sit back at a distance and wait for the animal you want to get into a stalkable place. Once you blow it, they usually don't cooperate.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back