AR-15's

They've never intrigued me much but they don't bother me either. I've always enjoyed accurate bolt actions myself. At my local outdoor range I see guys all the time all decked out in knee pads and gloves and all shooting their ARs on the 25-50yd range...it always gives me a chuckle how seriously they take it. More room for me on the 100 and 300 yard ranges.

I think guys like them for the customizable factor. Kind of the Jeep of the gun world.

Jeep of the gun world... I like that, very true thinking about it!

I was under the same school of thought; AR for fun, a good bolt/lever/single for hunting. Until I came across a great deal on a lower n upper. Ended building a 223 Wylde n w 72grn Barnes TTXs it’s amazing; look at some of my past posts w my grandson, n not just close up. Granted these r Texas whitetails n a 200lb animal is a rarity, but proper placement I’ve shot em 300 to 400yds w stellar performance.
N for youngsters it’s hard to beat, low recoil, adjustable stock, not loud.
Now would I take it for elk/muley/bear in Montana.... definitely not
But down here; for me n mine, it does just fine!!!

If one is looking for just a hunting rifle, it may or may not be your thing. But for one platform, that excels in multiple areas of use, it is darn near impossible to beat. Adaptability is where the AR15 platform shines.

For me personally, I don't think I would ever consider going back to a bolt gun for predator calling. The AR15 is perfect for fast paced situations.

Reactions: CiK
I'm going to blow the dust off of mine here shortly for a Predator hunt coming up in February! Other than that it just sets . Not to practical for the hunting I do here in Montana . Mostly a bolt gun hunter .

MT.PERCHMAN

I enjoy pulling mine out from time to time, but the only field time mine has ever gotten (other than at the range) was going after prairie dogs, but even then it took a backseat to my bolt actions. It drew blood on that hunt, maybe I’ll give it a go for predator calling

I remember I bought a lower a some years back thinking I might build one. It sat in a drawer for about a year as I pursued other interests and never got around to it. Ultimately I sold it to a friend - that guy has 8, I think. I'm just more into bolt guns, muzzleloaders, and bows.
I did the same thing except the guy I sold it to only had one other one. I do t have a problem with them, but they don’t interest me. I’d be upset if the government tried to prevent someone who wanted one from having it or to hunting with it.

I know it’s not what you’re getting at but, at least 4mil exist in the US and not one has ever been convicted of murder.

Last edited:
I think they are kind of fun to shoot, and in fact it's one of the law enforcement tools I'm certified to instruct

I live by the rule that if its good enough for my LE friends when they need it, then its good enough for me when I need it.

About the only thi g I would use an AR for is calling in Coyotes. Other than that they suck IMO.
And they are almost never as accurate as a good bolt gun. Even the expensive ones.

About the only thi g I would use an AR for is calling in Coyotes. Other than that they suck IMO.
And they are almost never as accurate as a good bolt gun. Even the expensive ones.

Agreed. A good bolt gun can be deadly precise. But you can get sub-MOA on a lot of AR15/AR10's. The gun usually always shoots better than the shooter.....both bolt and semi.

Would have to disagree with the statement the AR's not accurate. I have a Colt H-Bar with a 1-7 twist rate. I've shot a few high power matches with it. During load development I ended up with a average 5 shot grouping of .70 @ 100 yards. For me that is accurate. This was with a 69 grain SMK.
I have used it for praire dog and gophers. Most of the time I use one of my 22-250's bolt guns. About 7 years ago I was helping a rancher friend move cows out of his upper pasture. I was carrying my AR on the ATV in case we found a coyote. Turned out one of his calves had a busted up shoulder and felt it should be put down. He asked me to do it and I agreed. I had it loaded with Sierra 69 grain MK's. It took a few minutes to get the right angle and one 69 grainer behind the ear dropped it DRT. I was about 40 yards away.
AR 10's can be had in 308, 7-08, 6.5 CM and others and AR15's have other options also. We all have our preferences and that's great, denying me my choice is just flat wrong.
Dan

I have an ar custom built in a .204 and it’s probably my favorite rifle. It’s a blast to shoot and deadly on coyotes. It shoots dime size groups at 100 yds, besides that they are great for young kids to Shoot being they have such low recoil.

Reactions: CiK
I had a Bushmaster Predator with a Leopold 2X7 that would shoot .75" groups at 100 yards. I purchased that rifle/scope combo after an incident with a bad guy shooting up a neighborhood with an AR. I wanted a very accurate rifle that would lay down some serious fire power the next time I needed it. When I retired from LE last year, I really had no use for it. I'll admit, it was fun to shoot. Anyway, I sold it for a pair of Swarvoski 10X42s. I guess I just prefer hunting with a bolt gun, and don't expect I'll ever have to respond to a crazy person shooting up a city block again.

Aside from the manbun, it's original chambering is low recoiling and accurate.
Clear jamb..
Ammo (5.56 & 223) is cheap and readily available.
Clear jamb....
They can easily and fairly cheaply be chambered to other cartridges.
Clear jamb...
Easily modified to suit owners preferences.
Clear jamb...
And they'll be helpful in the case of a Boogaloo.
Clear jamb...

What's not to love?

Still clearing the freak'n jamb!!!

Clean your gun

AK's as well. The hip shooters were out in full effect in Bailey CO 2 weeks ago. Nothing like trying to sight in your bolt rifle while also developing PTST 🥴

I’m ambivalent toward AR-15s, unless I’m next to someone shooting one at the range. Then I loathe them.

Oh look another AR thread. Lol

yep inaccurate. Best I could do at 700yds since I called the wind wrong on my first shot....bad hangover that morning.
567C9EF6-E833-4DB2-BEAF-79BE17C94315.jpeg
I’ve shot a few human heads a bit further than that with a similar rifle.

I’ve killed a few hundred hogs, half a dozen deer and a few varmits with ARs. I do love a good bolt gun though. They are all tools in a tool box.

B9BDC8B2-4ACB-451B-9F0A-312E839ABDAA.jpeg

I had a Bushmaster Predator with a Leopold 2X7 that would shoot .75" groups at 100 yards. I purchased that rifle/scope combo after an incident with a bad guy shooting up a neighborhood with an AR. I wanted a very accurate rifle that would lay down some serious fire power the next time I needed it. When I retired from LE last year, I really had no use for it. I'll admit, it was fun to shoot. Anyway, I sold it for a pair of Swarvoski 10X42s. I guess I just prefer hunting with a bolt gun, and don't expect I'll ever have to respond to a crazy person shooting up a city block again.
I love an AR, but that's a nice trade

Would have to disagree with the statement the AR's not accurate. I have a Colt H-Bar with a 1-7 twist rate. I've shot a few high power matches with it. During load development I ended up with a average 5 shot grouping of .70 @ 100 yards. For me that is accurate. This was with a 69 grain SMK.
I have used it for praire dog and gophers. Most of the time I use one of my 22-250's bolt guns. About 7 years ago I was helping a rancher friend move cows out of his upper pasture. I was carrying my AR on the ATV in case we found a coyote. Turned out one of his calves had a busted up shoulder and felt it should be put down. He asked me to do it and I agreed. I had it loaded with Sierra 69 grain MK's. It took a few minutes to get the right angle and one 69 grainer behind the ear dropped it DRT. I was about 40 yards away.
AR 10's can be had in 308, 7-08, 6.5 CM and others and AR15's have other options also. We all have our preferences and that's great, denying me my choice is just flat wrong.
Dan
Who exactly made that statement?
An H Bar is a match grade gun. With that said .70 at 100 is a joke. Many el cheapo Ruger Americans are capable of that level of accuracy.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back